HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:25 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,079 Posts
Behemoth will be fine and my Jugg flys true! The flinch and Runt do the wagg. I think because they are so small they are easy to get bumped around. A bigger motor will fix it =)
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:43 PM
United States, NY, Cleveland
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
I'm not worried about the Behemoth Ruben, you make some great stuff... with real world results. One can research till they're blue in the face(me), but get out and fly... (insert Duchovny Californication "mutha f*cker" here)
ww_kayak is offline Find More Posts by ww_kayak
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:27 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,466 Posts
Hey, you're going to love the plane! First rule of building. Except for small details you know are inconsequential, don't make aerodynamic changes until you fly the plane. Assume the designer is very good and it's just something you don't understand. Fly the plane then ask the designer if you can before making changes. Thats a good reason to buy a Sweepwings because Ruben is right here.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:40 PM
United States, NY, Cleveland
Joined Dec 2013
13 Posts
^Rules... those aren't for me. Those are for the people that worry about stuff

In Oak Hill for Thanksgiving and Chritsmas, I'll buzz your neighborhood with the Behemoth, it's all flat anyway
ww_kayak is offline Find More Posts by ww_kayak
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:35 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,466 Posts
Hills and rocks are illegal in my part of Florida. I think the idea for a billiard table came from checking out the land around here...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Vince, Im thinking the wagg could be the winglets might be off alittle. Or maybe the airfoil is thick and causing resistance to. But I have also seen wagg in other wings that are way more stream line then mine. I need a machine to make these for me. lol. My eyes might be off too hhahah
Rubin, thanks for the advice. The wing is actually one that you built, and I really do love it. I purchased it from another member and the foam was a little crushed during shipping were the winglet attaches on one side, but I was able to get the winglet to straighten out for the most part. I couldnít bring myself to cut the winglet off such a beautifully built wing. Iíll recheck to make sure that winglet isnít causing the issue. The waggle isnít all that bad; I was just really looking at ways to reduce it.
I can attest first hand to how tough your wings are, and wouldnít consider one of the EPOR wings after owning an EPP wing. I recently had WOT nose-in crash and only sustained minimal damage, and probably wouldnít have sustained near as much if I hadnít had a block of wood in the GoPro cutout (for weight in place of GoPro) that extend a quarter inch past the nose. It sounded like someone punted a football when it hit and bounced 8 plus feet in the air.
Is Gorilla glue what you recommend for repairs, and if so, do I use water to activate it?
Vince_2000 is online now Find More Posts by Vince_2000
Old Oct 27, 2014, 05:15 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2013
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Ever wonder why those vertical surfaces on wings are called winglets and not vertical stabilizers? Well, the reason is that they don't work in the same way because wing aerodynamics is a weird beast. Logic would be that the winglets are pointed perfectly in the direction of flight so the wing will seek the direction of least resistance, stabilizing the flight.

And that would be wrongo el logico! In fact if your winglets are facing perfectly in the direction of flight they don't stabilize the plane at all! It is just as happy flying sideways as pointed forward, although it has a lot more drag.

Instead winglets are toed in, and only if they are do they do anything to keep the plane from wagging. Why would that be? When a wing wags, it rotates so that one wing is forward and the other trails. With a toed-in winglet the forward wing rotates the winglet to present more frontal area to the wind. It increases in drag. The trailing wing presents less frontal area to the wing, causing a reduction in drag. This rotates the forward wing back in line until the angles equalize and the plane stabilizes at zero yaw.

Ask Ruben how much toe-in you have to set up on your plane. I'll bet you reset them to be in line with flight direction and for a wing that doesn't work. Once set right your plane will fly like it's on rails.
Thanks for the explanation Rockin Robbins!
Vince_2000 is online now Find More Posts by Vince_2000
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:30 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_2000 View Post
Rubin, thanks for the advice. The wing is actually one that you built, and I really do love it. I purchased it from another member and the foam was a little crushed during shipping were the winglet attaches on one side, but I was able to get the winglet to straighten out for the most part. I couldnít bring myself to cut the winglet off such a beautifully built wing. Iíll recheck to make sure that winglet isnít causing the issue. The waggle isnít all that bad; I was just really looking at ways to reduce it.
I can attest first hand to how tough your wings are, and wouldnít consider one of the EPOR wings after owning an EPP wing. I recently had WOT nose-in crash and only sustained minimal damage, and probably wouldnít have sustained near as much if I hadnít had a block of wood in the GoPro cutout (for weight in place of GoPro) that extend a quarter inch past the nose. It sounded like someone punted a football when it hit and bounced 8 plus feet in the air.
Is Gorilla glue what you recommend for repairs, and if so, do I use water to activate it?

AHH!! lol Well for the fix use Goop or shoe poop for craps and stuff like that. If you have lam left over cut a opening and relam it. If you can you can cut a slot peel it back enough shove the goop in and fill it in where the crack is. The cover with lam or packing tape. Clear is best, I hate extream packing tape.
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,466 Posts
Extreme packing tape is okay if you put laminate over it but it's a time bomb, and ugly time bomb, without it. With laminate over it I think it looks like wannabe carbon. It is heavy. If you can build a strong plane without it then do it.

Ruben, you don't use the Extreme Tape on your planes? Neat! That stuff is EXPENSIVE. The expense is the most extreme part of the tape!