HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Help!
Steam boiler burner

Hi I would like too know if anyone could help tell me how does this boiler burner works and what do I need too get it to work and also who is the MFG of it,

Thanks
Carlos
alberto69 is offline Find More Posts by alberto69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
I'm not an expert on old burners, but it looks similar to "blowtorch" style burners. These ran on liquid petroleum (gasoline or kerosine, for example). Saito had a alcohol-fueled blowtorch style, too. They are quite noisy in operation, at least the ones I've seen run.

A more modern, quiet burner, would be a gas-fired ceramic burner. Butane or propane are the fuels I've used. These fuels produce both liquid and gas at room temperature - the gas is taken off the top of the tank for the burner.

The tap for the fuel is on the top of your tank. This would suggest a gas-fired setup. But, if there is a downpipe internal to the tank, it would be designed to pickup liquid.

The valve on the burner is possibly a needle valve to regulate fuel flow. I don't recognize the purpose of the valve on the tank itself. Nor can I make out the filling fitting. Gas filling fittings today are Shraeder valves, that is, the same style as used for tires.

It would be dangerous to experiment with fuels before you know exactly what your system is designed for. So, I'd recommend that you continue to seek advice before fireing it up. The danger is not only in the fire getting out of hand, but also in over-pressurizing the fuel tank, causing it to split a seam and leak fuel. Been there done that, not recommended :-).
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
Portland OR USA
Joined Aug 2010
98 Posts
No expert here either, but the apparent absence of a method for preheating and vaporizing the fuel would seem to preclude the use of liquid fuel - gasoline or whatever.
Hye's is offline Find More Posts by Hye's
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Carlos,
I am quite sure that what you have is a Petrol / Paraffin burner and it's an old one.

The valve on the tank with the long rod and the hand wheel is the pressure relief valve and the other is a very badly mangled early bicycle tyre valve, the type with the rubber tube inside which lets air in but not out, you completely remove the cycle valve to fill the tank.
The valve on the burner controls the flame.
The burner tube should have a coil inside it to aid vaporization of the fuel and the valve to take a cycle pump is strongly recommended to be replaced.
With the modern plastic cycle pumps it's only possible to pressurize the tank up to 60 p.s.i.
Strip it all down and check for perished rubber seals before firing.
To fill the tank take off the cycle valve and half fill the tank, a pressure gauge on the tank would be helpful, pump up the tank with the release valve closed,also the flame control valve on the burner, with another blow lamp heat the flame tube until red, gently open the burner valve and the burner should ignite, have a fire extinguisher handy.

With experience you will soon learn how to operate the burner, it's all on the same principle as the Primus camping stove.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Last edited by ooyah; Dec 26, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,658 Posts
As I recall . . . KN Harris recommends (in Model Boilers and Boilermaking, pg 101)

Burners with an internal (directly exposed to flame) pre-heating / vaporizing / pressurization coil are to be fueled by kerosene / paraffin (Commonwealth countries) see last quote for fuel definitions.

Burners with a vaporizing coil that is in-directly exposed to the flame (outside the tube) are for petrol / gasoline.

Very highly recommend that you read this thread, "Blow Lamp," as it directly concerns the design and factors affecting the use of Blow Lamps like yours as well as safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Two of the foundation books of steam!

K. N. Harris: Model Boilers and Boilermaking
K. N. Harris: Model Stationary and Marine Steam Engines.

(Amazon search: for K. N. Harris:)

Another couple of real good books: Tubal Cain's Building Simple Model Steam Engines (book 1) and More Simple Model Steam Engines (book 2)
And just so everyone is speaking about the same stuff.....
Quote:
Let's all agree to:

1) Gasoline = Petrol (abbreviation of petroleum spirit) = MoGas (Motor car Gasoline) = conventional gasoline -- MSDS (all grades)

2) Kerosene = Paraffin (UK & South Africa) -- MSDS

3) "White Gasoline" = Pure Gasoline/petrol before the addition of additives to turn it into a fuel usable in cars. A slightly archaic usage. Let's just skip using this one entirely... to likely to cause confusion.

4) "White Gas" = Calumet Lantern Fuel/Coleman® Gas = Camp(ing) gas = naphtha = Light Hydrotreated Distillate (Naphtha) CAS NUMBER: 68410-97-9 -- MSDS

5) Camping Gaz® = a brand of compressed gas, mixed butane/propane. --MSDS

6)"Meth" = Methylated Spirits = "Sprits" = Denatured Alcohol -- MSDS (one of many formulations)

7) MAPP® Gas = methylacetylene-propadiene propane -- MSDS MSDS MSDS Manufacture discontinued as of end of 2008.

8) Map Pro or Mapp//Pro = "Mapp2" -- The replacement for MAPP® Gas -- MSDS Various formulations vary with supplier.

A reference page of international names for different fuels..
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Dec 25, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:03 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,668 Posts
For "Harris" go to first page, first post of "Books" in steam boats section.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
As I recall . . . KN Harris recommends (in Model Boilers and Boilermaking, pg 101)

Burners with an internal (directly exposed to flame) pre-heating / vaporizing / pressurization coil are to be fueled by kerosene / paraffin (Commonwealth countries) see last quote for fuel definitions.

Burners with a vaporizing coil that is in-directly exposed to the flame (outside the tube) are for petrol / gasoline.

Very highly recommend that you read this thread, "Blow Lamp," as it directly concerns the design and factors affecting the use of Blow Lamps like yours as well as safety.

And just so everyone is speaking about the same stuff.....
It makes no difference when using either Petrol or Paraffin if the vaporizing coil is wound around the inside of the flame tube or outside, outside is much easier.
George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Hi I just want too say thanks for all the help and information you guys sent me.
alberto69 is offline Find More Posts by alberto69