SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by afjetmech
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
Discussion
Sig Klipper Maiden after 36 years!

This is a Sig Klipper I built when I was 16 years old in 1979. I never flew it but did taxi it around a few times. After high school I joined the Air Force and eventually sold all my old RC stuff several years later. In Sept of 2014 while visiting my parents, my father said he had found one of my old planes in my brother-in-laws attic. I was sure he was mistaken as my nephew had some RC planes. While at my sisters house, my dad went into the attic and came out with my Klipper. I had completely forgotten that I had given this plane to my nephew. What a surprise. He never flew it either. I was sure the original foam wing had to be destroyed after all these years, but amazingly, we found it tucked into a corner. Only two small chunks were missing out of the left trailing edge. The Kraft servos and receiver I had in it were long gone but everything else was there and original. I got it home to N.C. and cleaned it up to see if it was flyable. The motor was loosened up with some WD40 and I replaced the gummed up fuel tank. Installed some old Futaba servos I had lying around and of course a new receiver, battery, and changed the glow plug. Everything else is 100% original. I ran a few tanks through the engine then decided to just go for it. The video speaks for itself.
Sig Klipper Maiden (3 min 47 sec)
afjetmech is online now Find More Posts by afjetmech
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by Lowrider1960
United States, NY, Apalachin
Joined Oct 2012
92 Posts
Cool! All those Sig models that used the common foam wing flew well - Klipper, Colt, Scamp, and Super Sport.
Lowrider1960 is offline Find More Posts by Lowrider1960
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,510 Posts
Those were the days!! Beautiful engine sound, castor smell and nice flights!!! That's the type of flying I enjoy most.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Today, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,501 Posts
What a great story!
I usually wait a little while between finishing a build and the maiden, but not that long. .
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Today, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by afjetmech
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
941 Posts
Thanks. I flew it a second time today. It acted extremely tail heavy on the maiden flight, but after landing, I noticed some significant up elevator at mid stick. I took that all out today but she still wanted to climb rapidly. Even with all down trim, I still had to hold a little down elevator. Not terrible so I flew several circuits around the field and had a much smoother landing this time. I also changed to glow plug to a #7 and the little Enya ran much better. Guess I'll have to pull the cowl and throw a few ounces in there. It's so cool to be finally enjoying this little plane after all those years. I actually still have and use the little workbench my dad made me for my hobbies when I was a kid.
afjetmech is online now Find More Posts by afjetmech