New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by Vipersblood
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
UMX Carbon Cub and the Mobius Action Cam

I've been scouring the web and these forums for any info on attaching the Mobius cam to the UMX Carbon Cub and have come up with nothing other than two YouTube videos that only show in-flight video (from the cockpit view) not how the camera was attached. I know it can handle the weight of the Mobius.

I want to attach the Mobius to the underside, raised (or lowered depending on your viewpoint) as to not block air flow for the battery door and not too far back for CG, slightly pointed down. It also has to be removable for obvious reasons to change the battery.

Has anyone done this and have photos or video on how they tackled this? I would love to see what others have come up with! Post away!

Here is a "quick" Photoshop of what I am talking about.
see attachment
Vipersblood is offline Find More Posts by Vipersblood
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Vipersblood
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2013
8 Posts
So I've been giving this more thought. I was thinking of making a bracket that could be fastened to the sides that would hang below the plane over the battery hatch but could be un-clipped and swung open to access the battery hatch easily without fully being removed from the plane.

Does anyone think that using very thin sheet metal such as 1/32 or 1/64 would be too heavy? If I used aluminum would a sheet that thin be too flexible and not rigid enough to hold together?

Not sure if plastic, such as margarine lid, would work as it is quite flexible , but it would be light. And it would be hard to fasten multiple pieces together compared to shaping sheet metal. I would love to hear everyone's ideas!
Vipersblood is offline Find More Posts by Vipersblood
Old Today, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
695 Posts
sory i don't have a mobius cam so i couldnt help you ... what about an 808 thats a small cam and if your a good enough thinker you can shuck the shell to save weight . i had the 808 but it only worked briefly i am thinking of the cam that e flite has i forgot the name but i want to put it on my viking that would make for an interesting video
flying ferret is online now Find More Posts by flying ferret
Old Today, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by flying ferret
Joined Aug 2014
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipersblood View Post
So I've been giving this more thought. I was thinking of making a bracket that could be fastened to the sides that would hang below the plane over the battery hatch but could be un-clipped and swung open to access the battery hatch easily without fully being removed from the plane.

Does anyone think that using very thin sheet metal such as 1/32 or 1/64 would be too heavy? If I used aluminum would a sheet that thin be too flexible and not rigid enough to hold together?

Not sure if plastic, such as margarine lid, would work as it is quite flexible , but it would be light. And it would be hard to fasten multiple pieces together compared to shaping sheet metal. I would love to hear everyone's ideas!
i also jus got done with re painting mine and i made a custom wing and added a bunch of weight so i belive the little plane can handle some extra weight
flying ferret is online now Find More Posts by flying ferret