SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:00 PM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
Discussion
Help with choosing components

Im finishing a scratch built b25 and am getting ready to order all the electronics. this will be my first time using a brushless and lipo setup so id like to get it right.
Ive already done the math but you can never be too sure. Wanted to know if these will fly my plane.

The plane itself has a 50inch span is 39inches long and when its finished should be about 30oz without components

I started with the prop and worked backwards

prop- 3 blade 9x7 (opting for scale over performance/non negotiable)

motor- two alpha 450 890kv/ input 175w/ cont. 14amp/ burst 18amp

esc- volcano series 40amp cont./ burst 55amp (it has an internal bec, but since im using 6 servos im getting an external one/ also since things are pretty complicated already id like to use a single esc/ if not two 25amp)

batt- 11.1v 4000mah 15c ( the same, one battery to simplify)

Im not new to electrics (I already own one of each of the gws warbirds but none of them use brushless or lipos.

any feedback would be helpful and very much appreciated
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:14 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Joined Mar 2003
1,277 Posts
Looks good generally, but do yourself a big favor and use two ESCs. The motor and ESC are a closed-loop system, i.e., the ESC relies on feedback from the motor regarding its relative positioning of rotor poles and magnets to provide for proper timing of current pulses. It is possible to run two motors from one ESC, but it isn't reliable. Reliable operation of the propulsion plants in multi-engine aircraft is essential. One engine out in a twin = uncontrollable death spiral.

Abel
abel pranger is offline Find More Posts by abel pranger
Old Dec 01, 2008, 11:36 PM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
97 Posts
Yeah, im gonna use the two 25amp esc's over the one.
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
Closed Thread