HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:38 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Discussion
CC BEC in a .90 Heli

This is to both the end users and those of you at Castle.

Have any of you used one of the CC BEC's in a .90 size glow heli? or really, any glow helis? I'm interested to hear how they're holding up in these applications due to the high frequency vibes these ships are subject to.

I bought one of these when they first came out, though don't have anything to use it in currently, though I did just pick up a spare Freya .90 and instead of dropping $150 on a Fromeco setup, I would like to try this CC BEC. I figure I can grab a 2S2P cell 4200 pack and fly for quite a while on a single charge.

Let me know your thoughts.

I don't want to lose a ship b/c I"m not using the right equipment. This is going into my night ship so it won't get flown that much.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
I've got a couple days worth of flying on the castle BEC on my evo 90 - mechanical mix and 9451's for servos on a futaba pcm RX. 3S 1300 mah lipo. No issues for me. The only problems I've seen on the heli forums are with the spectrum rx's browning out.

A couple years ago when there was only one suitable product in this category, the vendor recommended using 3S batteries over 2S as the 2S setup was supposedly a bit less efficient. I wonder if Castle has any input on the subject?
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave
Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:18 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_dave
The only problems I've seen on the heli forums are with the spectrum rx's browning out.

I wonder how a BEC could blow out a Spektrum receiver. Do have a link I would be interesting to read about it.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:07 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
A brown out is a low voltage condition, the Rx takes time to "reboot"..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:15 AM
United States, IN, Plainfield
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_dave
The only problems I've seen on the heli forums are with the spectrum rx's browning out.
subject?
I'd be very interested to see what cutoff voltage they have their BEC's set to, and how old of packs they are using. The BEC can handle the current of most any digital application with ease and I wouldn't be surprised if these were battery issues.
Scott Pavlock is offline Find More Posts by Scott Pavlock
Old Dec 31, 2007, 06:13 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Ok,
So the consensus is that it will work fine.... Have you guys done any tests in regards to vibration resistance? I just want to make sure this is up to par before I destroy a perfectly good .90.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2007, 06:52 PM
United States, IN, Plainfield
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
I ran the BEC in an E-max that flipped about ten times going about 60mph every time I ran it down a stretch, and it had absolutely no effect on the BEC whatsoever. I'd say that's some pretty crazy vibration. It actually vibrated so much it tore a cooling van right from the wires one time.
Scott Pavlock is offline Find More Posts by Scott Pavlock
Old Jan 04, 2008, 12:11 PM
TONYVAL
USA, NJ, Keyport
Joined Nov 2006
3 Posts
using one on my Raptor 30

all std servos, except digital futaba and 401 gyro

has been working great, no interference, stays cool during use

I am using with an apogee 7.1v 2s2p lipo
tonyval is offline Find More Posts by tonyval