HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 17, 2014, 03:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
13 Posts
Discussion
Buying a Nano CPX without accessories for use with DX4e and E-Flite Delta Ray charger

I have a DX4e inherited from my Delta Ray plane. I've had a Nano CPX last year, with a DX6i, and sold it for a T-Rex 450, then sold the T-Rex and the DX6i altogether, because rc helis weren't fun anymore for me.

I hated the Nano because it ate motors (80-100 flights per motor) and the landing gear and canopy were expensive and fragile. After two crashes with the T-Rex, with the money spent on repairs I could have bought a Nano.

This year I bought the Delta Ray, and while it's down for maintenance, I'd like a heli, but I don't want to make it too complicated, as it happened buying the T-Rex.
I'm not interested in 3D at all, I just want a heli to buzz around in the garden (15x30 meters).

I'm thinking to get a Nano CPX because: Walkera V102D02S RTF (220 ) and Blade 130X with DX6i (260 ) are out of my budget. Blade msrX is RTF only (in Italy).

I can buy a Nano CPX for 145 with all the accessories (except the radio) or, very interesting, for 95 heli only. Since I have the 2S battery charger which was an accessory of the Delta Ray, I was thinking of charging two 1S Nano CPX lipos in parallel. The charger for the Delta Ray uses the balancing port of the 2S lipos that are used in the plane.

Do you see any problem in charging the lipos that way? The Delta Ray charger, I think, puts current into the batteries until they reach 4.2 V. It would be a problem if they designed it to put 1300 mAh for every charge cycle (1300 mAh is the capacity of the batteries) because in that case one could not be able to charge an almost full battery without causing a fire. Instead, I do that every time.
MG571 is offline Find More Posts by MG571
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
13 Posts
Found a problem

Today a problem came to my mind: I absolutely can't charge the lipos for the Nano CPX with the Delta Ray charger, because they require a maximum current of 300 mA (for a 2C charge, 30 minutes), and the Delta Ray charger puts out 1500 mA, which are about 1C for the plane batteries (1300 mAh each), but too much for the tiny Nano batteries (150 mAh).

So, I must budget for a charger.
MG571 is offline Find More Posts by MG571
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:38 PM
Y=C+I+G
cmdl's Avatar
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
1. wouldn't the Delta Ray charger also look for total voltage, hence 8.4V? chargers clearly ask for cell counts, and that stock charger is preset at 4.2V/cell max. this is in addition to the charge rate issue you discovered.

2. why not just use the stock charger that comes with the nano? it charges at ~300ma (adjustable if you turn pot inside). cells are done in ~16 min (from storage charge of ~3.8V/cell). not that long and you have to let the nano rest anyway for at least 10 min.

3. batteries and chargers forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

4. nano dedicated thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719536

5. Dx4e expo rate activation (page 9): http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...-Manual_EN.pdf - that said, i only dare to fly my nano with my Dx6i, nothing lower.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Houston, TX USA
Joined Nov 2000
548 Posts
Maybe a helicopter is not a good fit for you. You stated you have already tried a micro helicopter and did not enjoy it.

Perhaps a quad would be a better fit. The blade Nano QX is a small quad you could fly indoors or in a small back yard. I comes with a usb plug charger and battery's are cheap. Cost in the US is $69.00.

They are fun to fly, they are easy to fly. I have yet to break anything on mine and it's hit many things.

Just an ideal for you.
Rudy Ackerman is offline Find More Posts by Rudy Ackerman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
1. wouldn't the Delta Ray charger also look for total voltage, hence 8.4V? chargers clearly ask for cell counts, and that stock charger is preset at 4.2V/cell max. this is in addition to the charge rate issue you discovered.

2. why not just use the stock charger that comes with the nano? it charges at ~300ma (adjustable if you turn pot inside). cells are done in ~16 min (from storage charge of ~3.8V/cell). not that long and you have to let the nano rest anyway for at least 10 min.

3. batteries and chargers forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/

4. nano dedicated thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719536

5. Dx4e expo rate activation (page 9): http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...-Manual_EN.pdf - that said, i only dare to fly my nano with my Dx6i, nothing lower.
1. My idea was to use the charger to charge a battery pack made up of two Nano CPX lipos in series, so that the charger saw an 8.4 V pack. The charge current remains a problem so this idea is unrealizable.

2. I can buy the Nano without the stock charger for a bargain price (95 instead of 140 ) so I'd liked to do without the stock charger.

5. I flew the Nano with 100% rates and 0% expo on the DX6i, so the DX4e is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Ackerman View Post
Maybe a helicopter is not a good fit for you. You stated you have already tried a micro helicopter and did not enjoy it.

Perhaps a quad would be a better fit. The blade Nano QX is a small quad you could fly indoors or in a small back yard. I comes with a usb plug charger and battery's are cheap. Cost in the US is $69.00.

They are fun to fly, they are easy to fly. I have yet to break anything on mine and it's hit many things.

Just an ideal for you.
I like helis and see quads and multirotors as toys (It's my personal opinion) because I feel like flying a computer (also with the Nano, which has AS3X, but it's more challenging). I've tried the QX, funny, but not challenging as an heli.
Only gripe with the Nano was the stock motor, if I buy it again I'm upgrading the Nano to brushless as soon as the motor dies.
MG571 is offline Find More Posts by MG571
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 04:40 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,973 Posts
Remember that the Nano CP X is a collective-pitch heli and you can't adjust the throttle or pitch curves on a DX4e. You'll be flying the Nano at 75 - 80% throttle the entire time (not including the variations in the throttle when you're adjusting the pitch) which is actually more stressful on the motor than running it at 90 - 100%. Also, you won't be able to perform any negative pitch maneuvers with it. Just wanted to make sure you know what limitations you'll be having if you go with that radio; you might be better off getting a used DX6i which is programmable.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 08:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Remember that the Nano CP X is a collective-pitch heli and you can't adjust the throttle or pitch curves on a DX4e. You'll be flying the Nano at 75 - 80% throttle the entire time (not including the variations in the throttle when you're adjusting the pitch) which is actually more stressful on the motor than running it at 90 - 100%. Also, you won't be able to perform any negative pitch maneuvers with it. Just wanted to make sure you know what limitations you'll be having if you go with that radio; you might be better off getting a used DX6i which is programmable.
I can do negative pitch maneuvers with the DX4e.
From the Nano CPX manual: "Stunt Mode allows the helicopter to fly inverted and perform aerobatics. The throttle runs continuously when Stunt Mode is ON, regardless of throttle stick position. Turn Stunt Mode OFF to return control to the throttle stick.
Use the AUX/ACT switch on the DX4e transmitter or Gear switch on the DX5e transmitter to activate Stunt Mode"
MG571 is offline Find More Posts by MG571
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:58 AM
Y=C+I+G
cmdl's Avatar
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG571 View Post
1. My idea was to use the charger to charge a battery pack made up of two Nano CPX lipos in series, so that the charger saw an 8.4 V pack. The charge current remains a problem so this idea is unrealizable.

2. I can buy the Nano without the stock charger for a bargain price (95 € instead of 140 €) so I'd liked to do without the stock charger.

5. I flew the Nano with 100% rates and 0% expo on the DX6i, so the DX4e is enough for me.
1. i see. i missed that the first time around.

2. i haven't done any shopping for 1s chargers but i thought the stock charger may still be the cheapest option (since at the moment you have nothing to charge 1s, right?). that is why i suggested the stock. i only use my proper chargers for 2s and higher.

3. i see. stick resolution makes a big difference too, that is why i suggested the Dx6i or higher. while i noticed the difference in stick resolution in planes, it didn't impact my flying till i flew helis. fwiw, i also fly only linear rates for CP on my Dx6i (albeit 75% as opposed to 100%). just thought i would point out the expo feature of Dx4e in case you were interested. i believe the Dx4e is a great radio for planes (used it on all of my planes). its just my inability to use it on CP heli is why i felt i should offer my 2 cents. i'm sure there are many others, like you, out there who fly CP fine with the Dx4e.

seems like the charger is the only issue you have then. good luck with whatever you choose. welcome back to the nano (although i'm a newbie to the nano myself ).
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
1. i see. i missed that the first time around.

2. i haven't done any shopping for 1s chargers but i thought the stock charger may still be the cheapest option (since at the moment you have nothing to charge 1s, right?). that is why i suggested the stock. i only use my proper chargers for 2s and higher.

3. i see. stick resolution makes a big difference too, that is why i suggested the Dx6i or higher. while i noticed the difference in stick resolution in planes, it didn't impact my flying till i flew helis. fwiw, i also fly only linear rates for CP on my Dx6i (albeit 75% as opposed to 100%). just thought i would point out the expo feature of Dx4e in case you were interested. i believe the Dx4e is a great radio for planes (used it on all of my planes). its just my inability to use it on CP heli is why i felt i should offer my 2 cents. i'm sure there are many others, like you, out there who fly CP fine with the Dx4e.

seems like the charger is the only issue you have then. good luck with whatever you choose. welcome back to the nano (although i'm a newbie to the nano myself ).
2. I used an Imax B6 (sold) with a 6x1s parallel charging board. I liked the charger, not the board because charged the cells in series with no balancing, and if I'll buy it again I'd make an adapter to use the balancing port to charge many batteries at one time as single cells. The cells require max 0.3 A, which a balancing port is surely capable of.

3. I did not think of stick resolution, this might be a problem, because if I have to spend 100 for the DX6i on top of the 140 required for the Nano BNF, I could buy the Walkera V120D02s (235 from Germany) or the Blade 130X (260 with DX6i at my LHS). I'm reasearching on this topic before buying.

What about the Walkera? I really don't want hassles, the Blade 130X seems prone to damaging itself (servos, tail) without crashes, and it wouldn't definitely be nice for me.
MG571 is offline Find More Posts by MG571
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 02:31 PM
My other addiction!
norcalheli's Avatar
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,727 Posts
When charging 1S batteries either alone or on a parallel board, you are charging them as if they were one bigger 1S battery. You don't need to worry about balancing. I charge my one cell batteries all the time using a board and my Hyperion charger and have never had a problem.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Nano cpx, Nano qx, Dx4e, batteries, charger, spare parts Benheller1994 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 7 Sep 20, 2014 08:13 PM
Help! Problems with the Battery Charger for the Eflite Blade Nano CPX Phanixis Micro Helis 2 Oct 13, 2013 10:49 PM
For Sale Nano cpx, Nano qx, Dx4e, batteries, charger, spare parts Benheller1994 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Oct 09, 2013 12:11 AM
For Sale Nano cpx, Nano qx, Dx4e, batteries, charger, spare parts Benheller1994 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Oct 08, 2013 08:52 PM
For Sale Nano cpx, Nano qx, Dx4e, batteries, charger, spare parts-New board and frame on cpx! Benheller1994 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 08, 2013 10:17 AM