HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:40 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I think one problem with these big monster RC planes, is that you cannot simply go to the flying field by yourself to enjoy flying a model plane. You would have to have an entire flight crew with you. I can't really see using a extra large plane restraint system for one you you can "flip" the prop to fire it up. But maybe it could be done. I expect you'd need a sledge hammer and some long tent spikes, or even a auger of a sorts, to make sure the restraint doesn't pull out of the ground. Maybe it isn't so much fun after the initial flights.

When I was a kid, I remember a huge aircraft graveyard between Luke Air Force Base and the town of Goodyear, in Arizona. When I was a teenager, they either sold off a lot of the old planes as scrap metal or hauled it down to Tucson AZ where they have another huge aircraft scrapyard still in place.
Giant scale PT by Frans Tanghe with Valach R7-800 pics taken at last years meeting at La Ferté Alais in France. I do know pilot and builder quite well since they live in Belgium. Not sure if the picture downmoad came out well...
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Giant scale PT by Frans Tanghe with Valach R7-800 pics taken at last years meeting at La Ferté Alais in France. I do know pilot and builder quite well since they live in Belgium. Not sure if the picture downmoad came out well...
So it did. And yes, a large extra tent is used for storage at the field. Do have a picture somewhere showing 6 people standing in front of the wings when starting the engine. The Valach 800cc is marginal but the airplane does fly extremely well.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:29 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Here is that YR-PAX Bücker-Jungmeister again, at the flight line at Fa Ferté-Alais last year.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:31 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
How about this one ? Forgot the name of the airplane. Belonged to the Valach stand at La Ferté-Alais last year.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:43 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,366 Posts
All I can say is .... WOW!!!
Those planes can leave one speechless.
I think that they have an onboard electric starter for that monster size PT17 bipe too. That would make it a lot more safe to fire that plane up then.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...tearman-pt-17/
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,101 Posts
Any idea of what those large models weigh?
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:37 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
561 Posts
Reginald

That is a Bristol M1c "Bullet". Designed in 1916.

A beautiful aircraft scuppered from front line service on the western front by RFC prejudice against monoplanes.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:25 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
I have video of a 21 foot Constellation 4 eng.Airliner reported to weigh 232 lbs.from La Ferte a couple of years ago.

It actually flew "light".. Wing loading was not high.

Those aircraft are regulated by a group similar to our "FAA",and an inspector is present at all these gatherings.All radio systems are redundant and batteries are in the 4 to 6 amp range.

Not many of those engines are home built radials, though...Most are factory offerings for ultralites.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 06, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
That is very impressive !
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:00 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
That PT has a span of 6 meter and is 4,6 meter long, scale is 1:1,6 and weight is 115 kg
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
That PT has a span of 6 meter and is 4,6 meter long, scale is 1:1,6 and weight is 115 kg
Thank you. Transporting something that large and heavy to a flying field would be a lot of work.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:00 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,366 Posts
Someone has a giant scale model of a JU87 Stuka with a scale model V12 engine in it. 118 inch wingspan. I couldn't find the pics for it though.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Someone has a giant scale model of a JU87 Stuka with a scale model V12 engine in it. 118 inch wingspan. I couldn't find the pics for it though.
I think I'd pay money to see that.
Darkenor is offline Find More Posts by Darkenor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:50 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,366 Posts
Ok I found it. It is actually a 7:10 scale replica JU87 plane, and it actually is not RC but a pilot and passenger can ride in it. My mistake, sorry. But it is pretty cool as they actually built a 7:10 scale replica engine for it too. I might also be mistaken about the engine used too, they mention a Lycomming opposed six cylinder engine on the website too.
it is at http://www.artus-motor.com
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Ok I found it. It is actually a 7:10 scale replica JU87 plane, and it actually is not RC but a pilot and passenger can ride in it. My mistake, sorry. But it is pretty cool as they actually built a 7:10 scale replica engine for it too. I might also be mistaken about the engine used too, they mention a Lycomming opposed six cylinder engine on the website too.
it is at http://www.artus-motor.com
Ok, that's beyond awesome. Actually, that site is what first led me to start this thread. Odd to come back to that when it was under my nose the whole time.

I do kind of wonder what the legalities on that are in the USA. I'm a private pilot myself, but can one actually build a plane completely by yourself, register it with the FAA, and then slap the experimental tag on it and have a great day? Not sure! Sure would be amazing to have the skill and budget to pull that off, though.
Darkenor is offline Find More Posts by Darkenor