HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Question
prop adapter shank sizes

Where do you like to buy your prop adapters?
How many different brands are there?
What are the pros and cons of set screw versus collet?

In the picture the larger prop adapter is a 3mm with large shank while the smaller is a 4mm with small shank. That is backwards from what i want.

Bought the 3mm from HeadsUp not realizing it was a 1/4 shank. Pretty sure they used to sell the smaller version. They have a set screw style in the 3mm size with the smaller shank. But i wonder if the set screw would push the adapter ever so slightly off center. Or if the set screw requires the adapter itself to be balanced.

Also whats the point of a 4mm collet adapter with such a small shank? Seems easy to bend. Its lighter but with that size of motor running a 4mm shaft whats a few grams gonna matter.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Where do you like to buy your prop adapters?
How many different brands are there?
What are the pros and cons of set screw versus collet?

In the picture the larger prop adapter is a 3mm with large shank while the smaller is a 4mm with small shank. That is backwards from what i want.

Bought the 3mm from HeadsUp not realizing it was a 1/4 shank. Pretty sure they used to sell the smaller version. They have a set screw style in the 3mm size with the smaller shank. But i wonder if the set screw would push the adapter ever so slightly off center. Or if the set screw requires the adapter itself to be balanced.

Also whats the point of a 4mm collet adapter with such a small shank? Seems easy to bend. Its lighter but with that size of motor running a 4mm shaft whats a few grams gonna matter.
go here to HeadsUp-RC

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/Categories
I just bought 8 different collets. I needed 1... but bought extras (I'm rough on collets with my nose first landing style). Read carefully the description of each "version" of collet.

Oh... $2.00 flat shipping fee was affordable, again
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Yes i went back and read the product descriptions. I guess HeadsUp 3mm collet adapter is now the ginormous style. I dont want to try and drill a 1/4 inch hole through a GWS prop. Doubt it will come out centered even with a drill press and eagle eyes.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Yes i went back and read the product descriptions. I guess HeadsUp 3mm collet adapter is now the ginormous style. I dont want to try and drill a 1/4 inch hole through a GWS prop. Doubt it will come out centered even with a drill press and eagle eyes.
HeadsUp is just selling what is available.
Buy a prop reamer.
example: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXG941&P=8
search for sizes more appropriate for what you need.
It is "stepped" so the smaller section centers the next section for you.

And if you really must "drill" a prop, progressively enlarge the hole with intermediate size bits... they'll "follow" the previous hole well.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen