SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, IL, Cordova
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Build Log
First Quikie

Just thought I would share some pics of my recent scratch buil of my spickler quickie. I do not plan on competing with it but wanted something nostalgic and fast. Just a quick thanks to Scott Smith for providing the plans.
mcsaplik is offline Find More Posts by mcsaplik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Aug 2011
88 Posts
Sweet looking plane
bigdad1975 is offline Find More Posts by bigdad1975
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:37 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
Thanks for doing this thread I have four laser cut Spickler 500 kits that bob Harris made for me and I want to build them. Your thread is helping me get there. I may use them in some local 424 races but, time will tell.

I am sure i will have lots of questions
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Thanks guys! She is almost done. I just have to order some landing gear and some racing tires to set it off. This was a supper easy build. Only took 2 weekends to get her framed up and another one to cover and start installing some gear. I would like to do another to compete with. I want to see how i like the speed first though. I havent scratch built in a while and used this to get me back into it.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:17 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
The original plans called for a wire landing gear. I was going to used the current gear and make a pad for it in the wing. Are you staying strictly with the plans or are you doing some modifications?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
I am planning on buying some carbon fiber gear and putting it in front of the wing in the fuse. I stayed true to the plans on this build.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:57 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
Cool, I look forward to your pics.

Did you use a square piece of balsa/spruce for the leading edge?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
I used balsa for the whole wing. After I attached the leading edge I sanded it to match the ribs and sheeted it. A little bit of carbon to reinforce the spars. The local hobby shop didnt have spruce for the spars. I just reinforced it with cabon under the sheeting.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
And????? What are you using for power?

I planned on using a TT PRO 40 so I could fly 424 with it.

Did you fiberglass the bottom of the wing?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Sheesh,,,,,I have a magnum 40 on it right now as it is the only 40 size engine i curently have. I fiberglassed the whole center section the width of the fuse. All the way around. I am also using all standard servoes in it. Ar7000 receiver. Mine came out nose heavy and will need some weight on the tail. after i built it I found out that I should knock a inch off the nose for ballance.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:29 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
The inch off the nose is good to know. i will check it out compared to my current Quickies and see what is going on. I have my tail feather servos mounted behind the trailing edge of the wing using a trap door to get to them.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
83 Posts
Allot of people have done that also. If i build another I am going to try to resemble the china clipper from back in the 80's. It had a T-Tail. I think there where some other differences to. Not to shure though. Might have t sart a new fad......nostalga pylon hmmmmm
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:30 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
I know a lot of guys that have an old quickie laying around. I was at a Q-25 race in North Carolina and one of the guys had a Spickler and was really doing well till he strained it through a pylon. I could see some nostalgia racing.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 AM
Joined Jun 2008
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsaplik View Post
I am planning on buying some carbon fiber gear and putting it in front of the wing in the fuse. I stayed true to the plans on this build.
FYI: I, like many other racers, have tried carbon fiber gear. They just don't hold up, and most of us go back to the good old Great Planes L-1 aluminum landing gear.

So, my suggestion: Don't bother with the carbon landing gear.

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:22 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbozarth View Post
FYI: I, like many other racers, have tried carbon fiber gear. They just don't hold up, and most of us go back to the good old Great Planes L-1 aluminum landing gear.

So, my suggestion: Don't bother with the carbon landing gear.

Kurt
I agree with Kurt. I have a carbon fiber gear on one of my 424 planes and it has been surprising how well it has held up compared to other CF gear. But, the cost has gone to around $30/ea over the L-1 gear that cost about $10/ea. The gentleman i got my carbon fiber gear from will not make them anymore for resale as his resin went from $100/qt to $200/qt and it just isn't worth the aggravation.

If you still plan on getting a CF gear and find them at a good price let me know I am interested.

Barry