HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
Discussion
Fanfold Edge questions

So I am getting ready to start my first fanfold edge build. I think the plans call for a wingspan of around 44-48"
Should I double the foam thickness for the wing and fuse? The fanfold I bought is from lowes and it seems pretty thin.
This will not be a full fuse plane, but more of vertical and horizontal profile like the 3dhs epp planes.
LandonK is offline Find More Posts by LandonK
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonK View Post
So I am getting ready to start my first fanfold edge build. I think the plans call for a wingspan of around 44-48"
Should I double the foam thickness for the wing and fuse? The fanfold I bought is from lowes and it seems pretty thin.
This will not be a full fuse plane, but more of vertical and horizontal profile like the 3dhs epp planes.
What I mean is, is it OK or even preferable to double the thickness and bond it together, which would make the thickness around 1/2", in order to increase strength.
I have cut the 38" wing and it seems too floppy. I'm not sure that a carbon rod that would fit into the wing would help enough.
LandonK is offline Find More Posts by LandonK
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:41 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Try a KFm wing a 38" wing shouldn't need much of a stiffener if you build it KFm. KFm is good up to 60"+ wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonK View Post
What I mean is, is it OK or even preferable to double the thickness and bond it together, which would make the thickness around 1/2", in order to increase strength.
I have cut the 38" wing and it seems too floppy. I'm not sure that a carbon rod that would fit into the wing would help enough.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross