HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:22 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
have bought a Habu 2 airframe and am looking at getting a better sounding EDF than the stock one and wondered if this one would fit the bill?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1200watt.html

it says it makes 1.7kg of thrust, is this more or less than the stock unit? i have searched but couldn't find anything on this 10 blade fan.
This model is the 4s version they also do a 6S version for 2.4kg of thrust but i was thinking the 6s might be a bit of a squeeze and heavy to get into the Habu?

so anyone fitted this 4s or 6s fan? anyone give me any info about weather the 4s will be at least as powerful as the stock system?

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:09 AM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Jan 2012
77 Posts
I have a change sun ten blade fan with a velocity 2900kv. It sounds great and I get between 6-8 lbs of thrust on a 6s setup with 100 amp esc.
crispypilot is offline Find More Posts by crispypilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
have bought a Habu 2 airframe and am looking at getting a better sounding EDF than the stock one and wondered if this one would fit the bill?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1200watt.html

it says it makes 1.7kg of thrust, is this more or less than the stock unit? i have searched but couldn't find anything on this 10 blade fan.
This model is the 4s version they also do a 6S version for 2.4kg of thrust but i was thinking the 6s might be a bit of a squeeze and heavy to get into the Habu?

so anyone fitted this 4s or 6s fan? anyone give me any info about weather the 4s will be at least as powerful as the stock system?

cheers chuck
Chuck I'm not sure how shipping down under would be but Gary at EffluxRC has probably the ultimate all alloy 6S setup for the Habu. Personally I'd be nervous with a metal setup from HK. Metal requires extreme precision in manufacturing.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,006 Posts
Not to worry, it isn't a metal fan, just the shroud and tailcone. The fan is still plastic. Pretty sweet sounding setup. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712422
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Dang No PNP that's a bummer.........

Looks sick though! I hope like mentioned the servos are swapped. I changed my V1 over to HS65s in the airlerons and HS85mg in the tail.
Did you use HS85MG for both the elevator and the rudder? or just the rudder? Also, did you consider the HS82MG? I only ask that because the 82MG is about half the cost of the 85MG. the 85MG has a bit more torque, but also a little heavier. Amazon has the 82MG's for $15 each :-)

If two 82s/85s fit in the tail, I'm going to order two 82's. I have HS65MGs for everything else including the flaps. Having these larger servers in the tail will help a lot wiht CG on a 5S/6S setup.
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I dont see why the hs82mg wouldn't work. Definitely strong enough
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
I've heard the hs82 is faster than the hs85, but the 82 doesn't center as well. But I don't speak from experience.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
OK this may be a silly question as this thread is epic and I haven't seen the whole thing. I Have been flying the Habu in Phoenix FS but I can't seem to find them on the net for sale. Has it just been replaced by the Habu2? I am looking toward a UMX MIG 15 for a starter EDF but I like this one ALOT!
AV8TRX is offline Find More Posts by AV8TRX
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,006 Posts
You are correct! Habu2 is the replacement for the Grey/Blue/Yellow v1 Habu. If you'd prefer the v1 Habu, they pop up for sale in the classifieds from time to time (I actually have one that I'll be listing one of these days).
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Cool Thank you!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
108 Posts
Never mind. I think I found it.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:24 PM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Just finished my new tiger paint scheme...
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Last edited by BlackBeast; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
Did you use HS85MG for both the elevator and the rudder? or just the rudder? Also, did you consider the HS82MG? I only ask that because the 82MG is about half the cost of the 85MG. the 85MG has a bit more torque, but also a little heavier. Amazon has the 82MG's for $15 each :-)

If two 82s/85s fit in the tail, I'm going to order two 82's. I have HS65MGs for everything else including the flaps. Having these larger servers in the tail will help a lot wiht CG on a 5S/6S setup.
Yup I used the 85MG on the rudder and the elevator. Took just a little foam carving to fit, nothing major. No issues.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:32 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Question for all, my Habu is a starting to show her age and repeated belly landings are starting to take it's toll. I'm thinking of yanking the guts out of her and maybe buying a E-Flite F86 and using all the Habu gear in that. I'm not retiring the Habu airframe just yet, so what is the most ballistic 4s setup for a Habu? Not looking to break the bank so what's cheap speed?!? I don't want to buy more batteries so that's why I'm sticking with 4s and when (down the road) if I ever get the F86 I won't need anything other then the airframe kit.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:45 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Question for all, my Habu is a starting to show her age and repeated belly landings are starting to take it's toll. I'm thinking of yanking the guts out of her and maybe buying a E-Flite F86 and using all the Habu gear in that. I'm not retiring the Habu airframe just yet, so what is the most ballistic 4s setup for a Habu? Not looking to break the bank so what's cheap speed?!? I don't want to buy more batteries so that's why I'm sticking with 4s and when (down the road) if I ever get the F86 I won't need anything other then the airframe kit.
I used .5oz cloth and glassed the bottom of the plane using polycrylic. This added almost no weight and probably added a couple mph in drag reduction. Not to mention belly landings have virtually zero wear on the bottom anymore.

As for a 4S speed setup, I think Gary at Efflux RC has a 4200kv "hot wind" motor that paired with a bigger ESC would provide more speed.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon