HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2004, 06:12 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined May 2004
186 Posts
Question
How do i go about with my first 3D flight?

Hey everyone. I just recently finished a FFF Yak 54 (Tim H. designed). Just wondering hows i should fly this and what i should expect, etc... Current setup...

36" WS
Hs-55 servos (single aileron)
Micro 555
Pull-pull on rudder and elevator
Carbon fiber in fuse. and wing
7 cell Kan 650
Himax 2015-4100 w/ phoenix 25
GWS 6.6:1 gearing with a 11x4.7 prop

Im used to flying wings and not using rudder...

Thanks

WD
Wing Destroyer is offline Find More Posts by Wing Destroyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2004, 07:06 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Just take it easy on the power.. These things will get going too fast pretty quick, and don't need much power to keep them flying.

Sounds like you have a fine system, so no worries there.

Other than that, you can fly them with just elevator and aileron, but make it a goal to learn rudder. The only thing I'd be careful of...they can be very pitch sensitive at speed. The flat wing will cause them to go from positive to negative pitch quicker than you might be used to, but it's less noticeable at lower speeds, so just keep your speed in check and have fun!
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Aug 09, 2004, 07:18 PM
Olympia, WA, USA
Joined May 2003
389 Posts
I've never flown this plane, but the first thing I would do is make certain all your control throws are set properly, everything is tight and working correctly, and do an antenna down radio check. Then do a litle taxing practice to make sure you can keep the plane on the runway. You may need rudder input for this if you have a lot of torque. Tail draggers can be a little tricky on the ground if you've never flown one before. This is a small plane and I would expect it to get out of sight pretty fast, so keep it in close and keep it oriented. It might also be a little twitchy. If you have exponentials on your transmitter you might put in some negative elevator and ailerons at first - maybe 50%. If you have dual rates, you can use low rates for take off and general flying, then switch to high rates (with exponentials) for 3D practice. To get some rudder experience you can practice coordinated turns and stall turns. In 3D flying rudder and throttle are very important - especially in hovering. Check some of the 3D threads for web sites that describe the various 3D maneuvers, download some and start practicing.

Have fun, 3D is a real kick when you get good at it.

Air-Gar
Air-Gar is offline Find More Posts by Air-Gar
Old Aug 09, 2004, 07:30 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined May 2004
186 Posts
Oh i forgot. I decided not to use landing gear. Not sure why, but would it be a lot better?
Thanks
Old Aug 09, 2004, 08:00 PM
Olympia, WA, USA
Joined May 2003
389 Posts
I guess it depends. If you're flying on grass, hand launching is a good option and solves a lot of problems. The first couple of times you might want to have a fellow pilot launch it for you. Tell him to throw it straight out, NOT up. Good luck.
Air-Gar is offline Find More Posts by Air-Gar
Old Aug 09, 2004, 08:22 PM
Glendale, Arizona
Joined May 2004
186 Posts
Thanks. Yah, grass is where i always fly. Thanks for all the helpful tips.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 05:51 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,917 Posts
you may want to drop the gear ratio as the 4100 on 7cells and D gearing will be quite anemic

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry