HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:04 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mike View Post
Looks like Loch Ness to me, why I believe I could even see the monster herself! First you installed that neat compass and now the binoculars, Love 'Em! Where did you get them from?
Cheer's Heli Mike, Not quite Loch Ness, I'd be chuffed to fly the length of that
The toy's in the cockpit I nicked from my son's various toy's through out the years, so where they originally came from I have no idea- sorry.
I'd love to add a moving pilot eventually
P.s did manage a bracken landing-
nicktwinnflying (1 min 1 sec)
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:06 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
Cheer's Heli Mike, Not quite Loch Ness, I'd be chuffed to fly the length of that
The toy's in the cockpit I nicked from my son's various toy's through out the years, so where they originally came from I have no idea- sorry.
I'd love to add a moving pilot eventually
P.s did manage a bracken landing-
http://youtu.be/GM_nhOUKt10
Thanks for the reply, looks like I'll have to head for the local toy store
Heli Mike is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mike
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:23 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
848 Posts
4 days ago i flown my Drifter on new pack of 2S 2200mah 30C lipo. Had a lousy VTX range on 7.4v. Then a huge problem during RTH, 7.4v couldn't sustain long flight and drain pretty quick when auto throttle and slowly tumble to the ground. Good news is its light, slowly glide and belly plop on nearby grassy field without a scratch 2km away from base. Manage to locate using vrx patch antenna filtering and Frsky telemetry beeping.

So here my conclusion on 2S setup:

1. Drifter handling is wobbly, probably too light and CG way off.
2. 7.4V have very short runtime compare to 11.1v packs.
3. Weak throttle and vulnerable to wind.
4. 2s suited for calm wind and short range flight.
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
4 days ago i flown my Drifter on new pack of 2S 2200mah 30C lipo. Had a lousy VTX range on 7.4v. Then a huge problem during RTH, 7.4v couldn't sustain long flight and drain pretty quick when auto throttle and slowly tumble to the ground. Good news is its light, slowly glide and belly plop on nearby grassy field without a scratch 2km away from base. Manage to locate using vrx patch antenna filtering and Frsky telemetry beeping.

So here my conclusion on 2S setup:

1. Drifter handling is wobbly, probably too light and CG way off.
2. 7.4V have very short runtime compare to 11.1v packs.
3. Weak throttle and vulnerable to wind.
4. 2s suited for calm wind and short range flight.
Hi Ican,
Yes I tried some of my 2200 35c 2s heli batteries on the Drifter and needed an extra 10m of runway to get off the ground. My bigger motor is so much better on 3s.
My poor old Drifter dropped out sky again last week
Unfortunately she landed in the sea again and I've ruined another osd and a new v3 no16 cam!!
The 600mh Immersion , although fully immersed!! for 10mins , and the Frsky rx have survived again This is their 4th dunk in the salt too.
She was flying her normal perfect, steady self , when suddenly she began to veer off to the right then left then she was diving and climbing. It was as if someone was trying to shoot it down??
Eventually , around 100m from the shore she dived uncontrollably into the sea.
Looking at the airframe later, the frame had come apart at a previous repair point ( vertical support for horizontal wing support) but this could have been due to the sea impact?!!
Looking at the osd dvr recording though there was a weirdness! While she was sitting on the ground connected up and ready to fly you can see the amp draw kept flickering up to 10amps and back down to the usual .5amp or there abouts??
Then I remember her not quite having the usual take off power too??
Its weird that she then flew perfectly for the first few minutes before I began to lose control!
I'm suspicious that the Orange stabilizer may have malfunctioned although I did try turning it off while struggling to keep her airborn and that made no difference.
I'm going to repair her, put all the salvageable electrics back in and carefully check out what the new OSD shows BEFORE I fly
One cannot be without one's Drifter can one
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:49 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
848 Posts
Drifter returns!! with more power!
New lipo pack, new adventure!
Drool on!

Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:30 AM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,124 Posts
What's your setup!
fOaMmaSh87 is online now Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV49 V3 build log ( Kind of)
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:49 PM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
848 Posts
No changes on my plane setup, it still remain the same throughout the forum threads. Just install new healthy lipo packs of same value. Give me longer 45 minutes stamina and power.

But if you check my overall setup my build log can be found here:
http://www.supermotoxl.com/FPV/UAV-m...nu-id-119.html

Comes with flight review, media and resources for this platform.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:57 PM
Canada, QC, Sainte-Anne-des-Monts
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
Finally

Hi all,
I finally got a chance and the guts to fly my drifter FPV from take off up to the landing this past weekend. I flew two lipo packs. Nice weather, no wind at all. Very good experience that I appreciated. The plane took longer to take off with all the electonics. Just a few small gliches from the VTX. Will try to relocate the antenna under the plane. I think it was because the motor was between me and the VTX.

The drifter is a small plane but very capable. Still need ajustment for perfect CG, but will get there. Waiting for nice weather to renew the experience...
denisf is offline Find More Posts by denisf
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisf View Post
Hi all,
I finally got a chance and the guts to fly my drifter FPV from take off up to the landing this past weekend. I flew two lipo packs. Nice weather, no wind at all. Very good experience that I appreciated. The plane took longer to take off with all the electonics. Just a few small gliches from the VTX. Will try to relocate the antenna under the plane. I think it was because the motor was between me and the VTX.

The drifter is a small plane but very capable. Still need ajustment for perfect CG, but will get there. Waiting for nice weather to renew the experience...
Well done, l have yet to manage that!
My vtx antenna is mounted between the wheels, upside down and works well. I use a 600mw Immersion vtx and can get 2kms before getting video interference.
Got some video for us yet?😁
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
My vtx antenna is mounted between the wheels, upside down and works well. I use a 600mw Immersion vtx and can get 2kms before getting video interference.
Got some video for us yet?��
I got a video, but I have to convert it to publish it. I attached two still shots from the video instead...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:06 PM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Got some video for us yet?��
I'm just wondering if the VTX will interfere with my RX because my RX is just between the pilots chairs. Where did you put your RX on your Drifter? My VTX is a 5.8 600mv ImmersionRC and my RX is 2.4 Orange.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:10 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
848 Posts
Congrats on your maiden flight denisf, looks great.
I put my Rx under sandwiched under the seat and base cockpit frame while my 5.8ghz 200mw video transmitter under the frame upside down exactly under the proppeller. Gave me a good 4~7km video range with ground patch antenna. Your 600mw should give plenty of range.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:13 AM
Joined Oct 2012
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisf View Post
I'm just wondering if the VTX will interfere with my RX because my RX is just between the pilots chairs. Where did you put your RX on your Drifter? My VTX is a 5.8 600mv ImmersionRC and my RX is 2.4 Orange.
Hi, My RX is velcroed under the frame beneath the rear seat. The antenna however are led from the rx to the wing tips.
Nice photo's by the way, it seems us Drifter pilots have a habit of keep flying over water
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
Congrats on your maiden flight denisf, looks great.
I put my Rx under sandwiched under the seat and base cockpit frame while my 5.8ghz 200mw video transmitter under the frame upside down exactly under the proppeller. Gave me a good 4~7km video range with ground patch antenna. Your 600mw should give plenty of range.
Quote:
Hi, My RX is velcroed under the frame beneath the rear seat. The antenna however are led from the rx to the wing tips.
Nice photo's by the way, it seems us Drifter pilots have a habit of keep flying over water
Thanks for the ideas. But I will not be able to put the VTX under the propeller because I put the dedicated FPV gear battery there... unless I rethink my installation. Good idea to put the antenna on wing tips.

My runway / landing strip is an old abandoned asphalt road which point right to the prevailing winds, about 1 km from my home. Very easy to get there and most of the time nobody there. I am also far from any interferences because we live in a little remote village. The only thing to be careful is that I cannot fly over the land because of the cliff right behind me. But I can follow the beach and of course go over the sea. The photos are taken from my second flight. Too bad, in the excitment, I forgot to record my first flight during which I flew few seconds with three seagulls.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 02:06 AM
Joined Oct 2012
647 Posts
For a laugh!!

nicktwinnflying (2 min 42 sec)

Stuck an extra servo in the cockpit with an arm attached , linked with a -Y- lead to the aileron servo.
Unfortunately CA glue melted the poor man's hand before I'd realized it-hence "Elephant Man" appearance