HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Build Log
HobbyKing Spacewalker I 60"

Was looking for a covered balsa plane to install salavaged power train, servos, and receiver in. Should be big and bright for easy seeing, conventional easy flyer with some dhyhedral and cheap. Hobbyking's Spacewalker at 59.8" wing span and $94.86 including shipping from USA warehouse fits the bill. Hadn't heard of a spacewalker before but it's a real fullscale kit plane. Comes in 2 versions single and tanden seater. So this is a scale model.

Received and inventoried mine today. Hobbyking doesn't give much info about it on its webpage. Not bad for the money. Assembly manual is good, readable, and comprehensive Covering feels like monocote still sticky on the underside. Moveable surfaces are already hinged, except for the elevator for final assembly. Nice plastic wingtip caps. The fiberglass cowl and wheel pants are thick enough. Main gear are multiwire assemblies ala a cub, I may think about substuting an old aluminum one piece, depends on weights. The three 5/64 pushrod tubes going back to the tail surfaces are not glued in, which I like because I have lighter golden rods.

Should be a simple build if I don't try to get fancy. Hadn't heard of VQ radio control model before. Surprized this old vet.. It's made in VIET-NAM !!
oldsamer is offline Find More Posts by oldsamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Just saw this. The kit comes with an ADJUSTABLE motor mount. Something electric builders can appriciate.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Spacewalker servos

The assembly manual doesn't specify servo size. Aileron servo sockets are sized for a mini, but features an indented pattern for standard size.
The fuse's servo tray is a loose fit for standard servos.

Me being me, I have flush mounted micro HS-82MGs into the wings because I like the geometry and they are good servos plus I already had them on hand.
But I don't recommend that mounting because it adds 2 days to the build, I won't do it again if building a second edition of this model.
Don't know what I'll do in the servo tray yet, I want to mount a standard HS-485BB for the TWO elavator golden-n-rods and a micro HS-81 for the rudder.

Now about working inside the wing and fuse. The covering film is fly paper sticky on the inside. So anything like saw dust, bits of wood, screws, and emory boards dropped in WON'T shake out!
On a positive note, The film tightens up under an iron set for 250 and ultacoat will stick to it. Of the colors of yellow I have onhand, hanger 9 bright yellow is the closest match.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Hey oldsam,

Looks like a pretty good deal for less than 100 bucks, let us know how it flys and get a video of the maiden if possible.

Thnaks,

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, AZ, Cochise
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
I just built one and it flys awesome. In fact i like it so much i ordered another to keep on the shelf. Its a great little plane. I used hitec hs82 mg in the wings mounted in the conventional way.My tray fit standard servos fine. A word of caution the red is painted over the yellow and will wash off with alcohol .
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Ah So

"the red is painted over the yellow and will wash off with alcohol", that explains the "Important warnings" about not using alchol to clean. Thanks mighty9

By the way, I've found the 2 seater version of this model at gravesRC http://www.gravesrc.com/VQ_MODELS_Sp.../glo159857.htm for $125. That will be my second edition.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
I did a boo boo yesterday with mine. Took off without plugging the ailerons in. Did a knife edge instantly on take off. I had enough rudder to climb and cut the power the rudder had just enough to level the wings and i glided into the weeds. I was expecting a total loss, but was pleasantly surprised to see it sitting on the gear with just a small rip in the lower wing. Even after 30 years doing this i still make rookie mistakes once in awhile. These are truly great flying airplanes.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
The manual doesn't mention installing the wing onto the fuse

I had some difficulty doing it. Had to Dremal 1/8 off the trailing edge of the fuse cutout. The steffening blocks aren't centered, so don't look at them when aligning the wing holes over the fuse blind nuts.
The provided wing mounting hardware (1/4-20 nylon screws & blind nuts) are poor quality, the blind nuts are some kind of plastic I replaced mine with salvage parts.
I have a wing cap that won't align with the aileron when it is flush with the wing at the fuse root. Gonna ignore that after checking the aileron with a straight edge. The ailrons are not warped.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
tail feathers

I just learned it's easier to get the horizontal stab aligned if I open the vertical slot and look down at the horizontal while epoxying it in
It's gonna stay 1/4" long on the left side, hope it flys OK.

The hinges come glued to the rudder, The bottom hinge didn't align with the slot in the fuse. Was able to cut the hinge out of the slot and move it down 1/2".

Red tubes are for Sullivan's nylon Golden-n-Rods.

Viewed from the underside, that's a horizontal stab 1/4" to the left with elevators attached. I was obsessing over equal distances from wing tips to stab and didn't attend to centering on the fuse.

On the next build of this model, I'll be tempted to epoxy the horizontal AND vertical stabs in one operation by buttering the sides of the fuse in the vertical slot.
Last edited by oldsamer; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
I just ordered this not 20 minutes ago, supposedly, they fly great. I'm getting a lot of info from your build.
what are you planning for power plant?
good luck and keep on posting
alshere is offline Find More Posts by alshere
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
I powered mine with a heads up rc power 46. 12x6 apc and A red brick esc on 6s. I get between 12 and 18 minutes flying time. Balanced great too. Oldsamer whats you power system?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
I powered mine with a heads up rc power 46. 12x6 apc and A red brick esc on 6s. I get between 12 and 18 minutes flying time. Balanced great too. Oldsamer whats you power system?

Mighty9 How does yours fly, I bought this plane as the next step since I'm pretty board with my trainer. looked like a good choice to me. the add says it can be flown slow also, I'm hoping this means slow approach's for landings etc. I have a spare K&B 65 and a 52 magnum 4 stroke gathering dust.
alshere is offline Find More Posts by alshere
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
It flies very sporty. Not unlimited vertical but close. Slows down to a crawl to land. I cranked up the control throws on high rate and its very spirited. Flip to low rates power back and it just loafs around the sky.I have some 1/3 scale gas planes i love to fly but the space walker is my new everyday plane. Id would favor the magnum four stroke if i had to choose between that and the kb65.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
237 Posts
Power?

Lets look in the salvage box!
There's a Tacom bigfoot 43-50-770Kv swinging a 10x7 master air screw and hobbypartz proton 60 amp ESC. That combo used to power horizon advance 25's. In the battery safe are 7 used turnigy 5s20c 3000ma Lipos that aren't enough for my larger planes.
I've ordered two 12x6 Turnigy electric wood props, only thing needed so far.

I just added to my Tail Feathers reply check it out
Last edited by oldsamer; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
That will make a nice setup