HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:28 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,413 Posts
Question
Good First 3D Plane

So I'm ready to move on to a real 3D plane, what are some good choices?

My flight experience is varied. I have flown gliders in the past, and I currently fly a PZ BF 109, a scratch built 3D FFF plane, and a Graupner Ministar flying wing (it's similar to a Stryker just not as fast). After a few months with the Ripper and near 100 flights of it, I'm ready to take the leap for a real 3D plane. I'm kinda liking the Acromaster, but would prefer something balsa and ply. ARF or flat kit is ok.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
I like the 48'' Edge from Extreme Flight. Super stable in post stall, it's almost too easy to harrier with it. The only weak part is the landing gear plate but just reinforce that with something like epoxy or CA glue and you should be good to go. The plane itself can take a beating. I crashed mine hovering a few feet over asphalt and didn't break a thing.

I've also heard good things about the 48'' Edge from 3DHS and have owned and enjoyed the 41'' Edge. The 41'' is a very good very durable learning platform but the 48'' from Extreme Flight was definitely more stable and handled the wind better.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,933 Posts
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Extra_p_16045.html

my favorite plane. cost of ownership to the way it flies. just a nice all around package that you can let loose on without having to worry about cost all the time like my 40 % plane

Eddie Acoba Flying 3DHS 48" EPP Extra at ARCA (4 min 2 sec)

Eddie Acoba Fly 3DHS 119" Extra 330 at ARCA (12 min 15 sec)
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
While a lot of people suggest either the extra or the edge, the edge comes up more often as a learner plane due to the straight leading edge. I tend to differ and suggest the ef laser.

Its one of the most stable and easiest to harrier planes I have flown.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,592 Posts
I love Edges and have had both the EF and 3DHS. For a 1st 3D plane go the 3DHS 48 Edge it is the better trainer of the 2. However once you have some experience under your belt the EF Edge is the next level up in terms of capability.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
So I'm ready to move on to a real 3D plane.......
Hopefully you will find this to be helpful....The New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
I have flown a ton of 3D and I thought there was no such thing as a trainer plane for it... then I got the Addiction X... Nothing else flies like it does. It's almost like cheating, it has no bad habits, it's completely neutral in all aspects, has no nasty snap, no wing rocking, nothing annoying.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
520 Posts
You'll not go wrong with 3DHS or EF for an ARF that can do both 3D and precision. Some have better flight characteristics one way or another but all are excellent fliers.

Check this thread, lots of positive comments about this ARF as well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1645557
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
My Extra EPP is good for me. I like it, and I can do hands off hovering. (I have a 3 axis gyro on it. I got it from HobbyKing for $25 shipped. It was worth it. I am using a 4 CH non computerized radio, and it's too sensitive for me to be touching the controls too hard without me rolling inverted
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:00 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I tend to agree with most views here. I'd vote for either the 3DHS 48" Edge, 3DHS 47" Extra SHP, EF 48" Edge or any of the full fuse EPP planes from 3DHS.

I'd say that the 3DHS and EF 48" Edges would be at the top of my list though.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,413 Posts
Thanks all, I'll have a look at those. I do like the PA Katana as well, but I think that would be pushing it for my skillset.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Thanks all, I'll have a look at those. I do like the PA Katana as well, but I think that would be pushing it for my skillset.
Without going into a great debate I'd simply recommend that you stick with EF or 3DHS. I think you'll find a much better overal experience with both of these companies.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Without going into a great debate I'd simply recommend that you stick with EF or 3DHS. I think you'll find a much better overall experience with both of these companies.
+1

My PA Extra 260 was an amazing plane IMO... until I tried 3DHS & EF. Great for light & floaty 3D in low wind, but not as capable in all maneuvers as it flies with much less inertial energy and gets blown around a decent amount on windy days.

EF & 3DHS... you can't go wrong with them.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Without going into a great debate I'd simply recommend that you stick with EF or 3DHS. I think you'll find a much better overal experience with both of these companies.
Yes, god forbid you have a problem with a Precision Aerobatics plane... most likely you wouldn't, but if you did, it can be kinda hard to get service. However, I think it's worth it - I have flown the 3DHS stuff, and it just doesn't stack up to the PA stuff. The PA planes are noticeably lighter weight, and it makes a difference. The Addiction is also a completely different shape from the planes you're talking about - it's not trying to come close but not quite be a scale plane, it's designed for 3D, and that's it. The PA Extra 260 isn't a good example - it's not a good 3D plane and doesn't really exemplify what I'm talking about.

Take a chance on the Addiction-X. It's not a huge risk, and I'm being totally serious when I say nothing else flies like it. I wish everybody could give it a try and see what I mean... it is so easy to fly you will swear something is wrong.

Addiction-X 2nd Flight (5 min 8 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
... it's designed for 3D, and that's it....
That's the problem, one trick pony. Of course low and slow might be slightly easier but high energy and precision lack. Most of their airframes are not well rounded.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er