HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Either the motor / esc was too hot and stopped. Or the esc cut the motor due to low voltage ...
Neither, I had only been in the air about 4 minutes on a 2700mah battery using a 40a ESC on stock brushless running at about 4 amp draw, it happened when I panned, I think the pan servo caused the voltage sensor to bump into the RX and loosen the throttle connection based on what I observed.

I was uploading the video but my internet screwed up now I cant get on youtube
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Ok here is the video of the flight today. I actually lost throttle control at close to 1.2km out, and glided all the way to a landing at 203 meters from my location :P. And awesomely the video was good all the way to the ground, and it didn't even go into fail safe until the nose of the plane was about an inch from the ground in 3 foot grass :P. I also landed 2 FEET in front of a barbed wire fence.

FPV Best Distance Record + Emergency Landing! (5 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
That video had horrible interference of some kind. Was all that glitching from your video tx/rx or part of the encoding process while recording it?
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
That video had horrible interference of some kind. Was all that glitching from your video tx/rx or part of the encoding process while recording it?
My EZCap can't handle the horizontal sync very well, it's quite annoying but only effects the recording, not my live view, however you will notice the farther I get out REAL interference, which is my 1w 2.4Ghz amp on my RC TX, I am still trying to figure out how to solve that problem (other then move the two antennas 30+ feet apart...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
My EZCap can't handle the horizontal sync very well, it's quite annoying but only effects the recording, not my live view, however you will notice the farther I get out REAL interference, which is my 1w 2.4Ghz amp on my RC TX, I am still trying to figure out how to solve that problem (other then move the two antennas 30+ feet apart...)
Just shipped them to me and you can start over with a 5.8g video system.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Just shipped them to me and you can start over with a 5.8g video system.
I like 5.8 for it's clean video but the distance is not that good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
I like 5.8 for it's clean video but the distance is not that good.
I thought it works for other FPV installs. I guess it depends on where your location is and how far you want to fly from ground zero.

Did you try the low pass filter as someone had suggested?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
I thought it works for other FPV installs. I guess it depends on where your location is and how far you want to fly from ground zero.

Did you try the low pass filter as someone had suggested?
I need to get one, I am wondering if a low pass filter would work on the vRX to cut out the noise from the 2.4ghz amp being so close? I really should put one on my plane at either rate :P.

I did notice channel 11 on my vRX was a lot cleaner then 15 (which is 1.280Ghz), also on my vRX up in the 20s channels it was perfectly clear, though my vTX can't reach those frequencies :P. Tomorrow I might try channel 11 (1.200Ghz) but I dunno how well that frequency will work on my SPW setup tuned for 1.280Ghz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
I need to get one, I am wondering if a low pass filter would work on the vRX to cut out the noise from the 2.4ghz amp being so close? I really should put one on my plane at either rate :P.

I did notice channel 11 on my vRX was a lot cleaner then 15 (which is 1.280Ghz), also on my vRX up in the 20s channels it was perfectly clear, though my vTX can't reach those frequencies :P. Tomorrow I might try channel 11 (1.200Ghz) but I dunno how well that frequency will work on my SPW setup tuned for 1.280Ghz.
I don't know if the 1.2 will be any better since it is a direct harmonic of the 2.4.

Let me know if it works for you.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if the 1.2 will be any better since it is a direct harmonic of the 2.4.

Let me know if it works for you.
If tomorrow is good weather I will be flying again :P. I might experiment with channel 11, but I dunno, can anyone confirm what frequency range -/+ a 1.280Ghz SPW can safely work with?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Got my sky surfer the other day and planning my plan of attack for the build FPV, custom pod, removable wings, UHF dipole on the tail, RHCP 1.2, GoPro/FPV camera.

Big question that I am considering the pros and cons of:
I don't think I can bring myself to seal the fuse. I just know I'll need to tweak the wiring electronics from time to time and if I have to cut it open to get to some of the wiring is likely going to be a problem. I read in another thread about how some people are taping the fuse together. Does this sound like the way to go for assembly?
Chris.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
I have mine glued together, and I setup all the electronics to be reachable. I have since moved the AP slightly farther back then in the picture.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast View Post
Got my sky surfer the other day and planning my plan of attack for the build FPV, custom pod, removable wings, UHF dipole on the tail, RHCP 1.2, GoPro/FPV camera.

Big question that I am considering the pros and cons of:
I don't think I can bring myself to seal the fuse. I just know I'll need to tweak the wiring electronics from time to time and if I have to cut it open to get to some of the wiring is likely going to be a problem. I read in another thread about how some people are taping the fuse together. Does this sound like the way to go for assembly?
Chris.
You can cut an access hatch into the fuse (cut at 45 deg, then tape shut)
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:27 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Cut a hatch opening under the wing for easy access. When your ready to fly, put the foam cover piece on with a piece of tape.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:31 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I still have not flown my Z11 yet. Flew my FPV plane yesterday in 20-30mpg gusts. Very challenging!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax