Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
All of you excited by this ideea, tom66 already started more than one year ago one similar project. Have you seen any (happy) ending of his project ?
Isn't better an approach as the above openlrs, first produce something barely usable, and then announce ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
This is pretty awesome!

I'd say go for the big text, but that's just me. And, put an arrow pointing home! -Tyler
LOS is almost done - home pointing arrow will be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
All of you excited by this ideea, tom66 already started more than one year ago one similar project. Have you seen any (happy) ending of his project ?
Isn't better an approach as the above openlrs, first produce something barely usable, and then announce ?
It's not meant as an announce (- it's a build log). I don't plan to sell anything, neither do I plan to design a perfect and flexible OSD. I have made an DIY-OSD for personal use (as it has been fun to make) and just wanted to share the idea and make the code available to everyone.
With Arduino compatibility it should give quite a few people the opportunity to use the code/or part of the code to make their own OSD.

Set home position has been made and I'm almost done with LOS. Last thing will be home pointing arrow.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 18, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:23 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Jun 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
LOS is almost done - home pointing arrow will be next.

It's not meant as an announce (- it's a build log). I don't plan to sell anything, neither do I plan to design a perfect and flexible OSD. I have made an DIY-OSD for personal use (as it has been fun to make) and just wanted to share the idea and make the code available to everyone.
With Arduino compatibility it should give quite a few people the opportunity to use the code/or part of the code to make their own OSD.

Set home position has been made and I'm almost done with LOS. Last thing will be home pointing arrow.
I agree with you Dennis, it's funny DIY this stuff. GOOOOO ONNNN ! please.
Bye, Carlo
carlonb is offline Find More Posts by carlonb
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Nice one Dennis,
I look forward to seeing the 'finished' code. Thanks for sharing!
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
Please don't take my post about OpenLRS the wrong way, I just pointed it out because I have invested in it and as Renatoa says, it's also open source and the hardware is ready for programming any way you want it.

I think it's great that Dennis has posted his concept and released the basic code into the public domain, do what you will with it and maybe copy Dennis' hardware if it suits you.

I am tired of buying nice hardware that is proprietry and will not work with some other piece of nice hardware because the vendor(s) don't want you to change anything or use it with some other nice piece of hardware you have purchased.
I've also invested in the OpenPilot hardware.

Dennis, please carry on with your personal 'project' as I for one am interested.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
26 Posts
I'm very interested and looks like I have something to tinker with.
cyonics is offline Find More Posts by cyonics
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:13 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Great with some interest

Just finished a quick LOS calculation. It's not perfect as I assume the earth is flat and the latitude is around 56 degrees - but it works for me
Old Jul 19, 2011, 03:42 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonb View Post
Hi dennis,
please continue, I like this idea to built my own OSD as i like fly , programming and electronics.
Please submit a schematic.
Ciao, Carlo
I would like to make a few more hardware-tests and make a flexible solution (with standard components and a little trim-pot), before I upload the schematic.
In generel, the only thing that has to be done is to adjust the video-signal, with the same circuit as shown on wikipedia (the bias voltage goes to the "+" just above the capacitor);
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po...ng_Circuit.svg
A finish circuit can be seen here (not mine);
http://www.viennawireless.org/balloo...rlay/index.php
http://www.circuitcellar.com/avr2004/DA3754.html

This guy is only using a resistor. I wouldn't thrust the sync detection, but you might be lucky. And when using SPI, i recommend also to use a diode from the SPI-pin
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...as-osd-without

But I find that a standard diode provide too low voltage for the bias-circuit, to raise the video-signal above ground.

I'm currently using a zener-diode to create the voltage reference and bias voltage - but I would prefer to use standard components all the way. That would make things easier available for everyone
2 Diodes en series could be a solution - but that's a boring solution (though it works fine)
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 19, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:03 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Done;

- Set homeposition automatic a couple of seconds after GPS fix.

- Calculate and show line of sight

- Heading home (For now just shown as degrees/numbers. It have been tested to work fine with a seperate Arduino and GPS, but I haven't tried to walk around with the breadboard, screen, power-supply etc
I have worked around with the seperate Arduino and GPS though :P )
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:40 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
I think you cannot compare this OSD to tom66s OSD.
1. Tom has never flown FPV (and still not flown FPV)
2. started from scratch (soldering, building, electronics,......)
I was too interested in Toms OSD, but lost interest a long time ago.
He has much ideas, but not really the experience to do it good. (just my personal opinion)

@Dennis:
nice work.
keep it going.

a simple DIY OSD is just missing in the current FPV scene.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:31 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
777 Posts
Dennis you are on fire!

You have my support!
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Great ... It would be awesome if some code-knowing members would help, after the basic things would be sort out, to make this system extensible, like using wm+,cheap acc for some stabilization and to show data on osd....or I can wait for black vortex + megapirate code... ... or the uavdevboard ...a lot of solutions, mainly I want to say the best would be to keep this one simple and cheap and get as much out as you can in as little time and people will surely appreciate it with some donations
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Final breadboard version with Arduino Pro mini.
The use of Arduino pro mini should make an easy and small OSD

Old Jul 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
Lancaster, CA
Joined Apr 2007
82 Posts
Good work. I appreciate your posting this. I'm also working to create my own display, and the details such as the circuit design, along with the pitfalls and lessons learned are really helpful to me. For the DIY-er, you don't have to give them a polished system. They can figure out the minor details themselves. 

You wrote about potentially dimming the display. Have you considered outlining the characters in a black or dark grey?  I've seen other overlays that do this and it does a pretty good job in making the text readable in most lighting conditions.
killabx is offline Find More Posts by killabx
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabx View Post
Good work. I appreciate your posting this. I'm also working to create my own display, and the details such as the circuit design, along with the pitfalls and lessons learned are really helpful to me. For the DIY-er, you don't have to give them a polished system. They can figure out the minor details themselves. 

You wrote about potentially dimming the display. Have you considered outlining the characters in a black or dark grey?  I've seen other overlays that do this and it does a pretty good job in making the text readable in most lighting conditions.
Exactely, I don't plan to create a completely polished system - just to show how it can be done

The dimming of the text background is very easy. It would be nice to add a black outline to the characters, but that would require another way to blast the pixels or some timing skills
I haven't found any solution, unfortunately.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jul 19, 2011 at 07:16 PM.