HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
just got mine tonight - she went together in about 30 minutes - WOW - great looking plane- good quality - im gonna be using my turnigy 2200mah lipos though so I dont have to purchase more lipos - also - the 2200 20c Turnigy is 185 grams where the super tiger 1800 mah 15c is 194 grams so we should be in the clear
SMCLEODVT is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEODVT
Last edited by SMCLEODVT; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:16 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
just got mine tonight - she went together in about 30 minutes - WOW - great looking plane- good quality - im gonna be using my turnigy 2200mah lipos though so I dont have to purchase more lipos - also - the 2200 20c Turnigy is 185 grams where the super tiger 1800 mah 15c is 194 grams so we should be in the clear
Just weighed the 1800 from the review...143g

Shes gonna fly a little heavier with that 2200mah
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:44 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmerighe View Post
Status: I have ordered from Tower Hobbies before, and I had a positive experience. I have high expectations, and nothing goes unpublished these days.
I've had +/- 20 transactions with TOWER, nothing but GREAT experience. Got 2 more planes in the box from them, no time to build. Anything hard to find at a LHS, I get it from them.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Just weighed the 1800 from the review...143g

Shes gonna fly a little heavier with that 2200mah
I do not like using 2200mAh on any of my planes. The small difference in flight time is not worth the extra weight. Lots of people like the 2200mAh though.

I assembled mine last night. I replaced the connector with an EC3 connector and installed my AR500 receiver. Assembly is easy and fast. The plane looks beautiful and very solid. I'll balance the plane and get it flight ready tonight. I'll maiden it tomorrow.
cmerighe is offline Find More Posts by cmerighe
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
yup - mine is just a fact of not wanting to buy another lipo - but the recommended lipo is about the same - im just ready to get this bird in the air - hoping for a Sunday morning maiden - just gotta make the swap to deans
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
Has anyone had this issue - I swapped out to deans tonight SO i finally got to line up my control surfaces - BUT my ESC wont arm unless I got to full throttle - then it beeps once - then I got back to zero throttle and it beeps 2 times - after that all is good - but its just when I plug my lipo in
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEODVT View Post
Has anyone had this issue - I swapped out to deans tonight SO i finally got to line up my control surfaces - BUT my ESC wont arm unless I got to full throttle - then it beeps once - then I got back to zero throttle and it beeps 2 times - after that all is good - but its just when I plug my lipo in
yes, its a failsafe w/ all Electrifly esc's
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
yes, its a failsafe w/ all Electrifly esc's
Thank you - its my first Electrifly ESC and nothing in the manual tells you this
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:59 AM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
I had two problems last night while trying to get the plane flight ready:
1) The 1800mAh battery that I bought from HeadsUpRC is defective. DOA (dead on arrival). I have emailed them this morning. For now, I only have 1 battery that I can use, which is the battery that came with my Corsair. QUESTION: Can I use 1300mAh batteries with this plane?

2) I struggled with the motor. I would bind the receiver, but the motor would not work. I tried a different receiver with the same results. I wasted about half hour on that problem, but then I realized that I had to move the throttle all the way up first. So the motor is ok, it's a safety feature. That's my first ESC with that feature. It should avoid an accident I had with another plane last summer. The throttle was on, the plane took off like a rocket and dented the wall.

I am on schedule to maiden it today. This may become my favorite plane, which means I would have to like it more than I LIKE my PZ Corsair.

(Update on issue # 1: HeadsUpRC has informed me that they will be sending me a replacement battery. I know a few other companies that would not have sent me a replacement this easily. I won't mention names... coughing...NitroPlanes...coughing. I don't get ripped off and shut up!)
Last edited by cmerighe; Jan 28, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
i had the same issue with the ESC - it was snowing this morning at the field a little but i decided to maiden her anyways - all went well except one thing - this is my first tail dragger and on take off it took a broken prop for me to realize that i need a little up elevator so the plane wont flip on its prop - SO new prop and everything went great - it flies really well - not much trim needed - even with the 2200mah it was great - not too heavy - im not used to my lipo sitting so far back - unlike my T28 where you have to push it forward all the way -
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:44 AM
The ground is approaching fast
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
I've been flying this plane now for over a month, it's my goto plane right now. It's my first plane since being away from the hobby for about a year and its a dream to fly. I've been using 2200mah 20c lipos with it and get at least 6 minutes flying time and 85% of that is at WOT. It floats on landing with about a 5mph headwind with a little throttle.

I took the wheels off since I fly from grass and belly landings are a lot better than I expected. The bottom scoop where the wings join is held on with magnets and they've never come off in a belly landing. I just taped the scoop with some clear tape last night to prevent rash from the grass but after about 10 or so of those landings its held up fine. Over hand launches are better now though since I've taped the scoop.

I would recommend this plane to anyone looking for a fun plane to fly.
kaging is offline Find More Posts by kaging
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Jul 2010
390 Posts
(I'll keep my revision history below updated.)

HERE IT IS, MY MAIDEN FLIGHT:

Maiden Flight -- Tower Hobbies P-51D Mustang EP RxR (8 min 28 sec)

REVISION HISTORY:
* 2011/02/02: The plane has a very weak spot, the landing gear mounts. The tiny plastic mounts can not sustain rough landings. The rest of the plane can take a beating. Assuming that one will not have a rough landing is unrealistic. Keep some speed for landing, but just a little throttle will not be enough to keep the air speed needed to kiss the ground. I had some throttle on yesterday during a landing. I didn't think it hit the ground too hard, but both landing gear mounts broke in half. My other planes would have been ok. I will have to decide whether I will try to keep the stock landing gears or upgrade with something different.
* 2011/02/04: I used Gorilla glue to glue the landing gear back on. It's a new bottle, and, for the first time ever, it set without expanding and making a mess.
* 2011/02/10: The landing gear set (mounts + wheels) from a ParkZone Corsair works PERFECTLY. I had several flights yesterday (serveral battery packs), ranking from mild to rough landings, and the new landing gears are quite strong. Now the plane's ONLY weakness is gone for me.
* 2011/02/14: If will fly tail heavy if you set the CG exactly at the indicated spot.
* 2011/02/18: The tail wheel assembly has finally finished breaking off. It's a weak spot. I'll be buying/ordering a Dubro tail wheel bracket instead of replacing it with another stock assembly. I'll post a video.
* 2011/03/03: It's my cheapest and favorite plane right now. It can take the biggest beating!
Last edited by cmerighe; Mar 03, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Nov 2009
978 Posts
nice maiden - looks good!
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:22 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
How stable is this in moderately windy conditions - i frequently have a fair amount of wind that restricts exactly what i can fly. So I dont want another low-wind-only flyer...

Is this the current best value in a p51 about this size?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Last edited by texbird; Feb 01, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:41 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texbird View Post
How stable is this in moderately windy conditions - i frequently have a fair amount of wind that restricts exactly what i can fly. So I dont want another low-wind-only flyer...

Is this the current best value in a p51 about this size?
Yes, best value in a p51 about this size.
You may find something cheaper, but they are "disposable" , single use only.
LOL.
And I'm not kidding...
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build