Aug 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
Ouch
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
Registered American Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
But do so in the proper thread.
Or if they are good general tips that can be applied in the DX8 or future DX10 transmitter I’d like to know here.
Aug 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
The "Foaminator"
+1 on Cayars trimming thread above.

Mike R
Aug 24, 2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog7
I know this is a little off topic, but I've searched RCG for comprehensive how to's on trimming. I met a old boy on holiday who was really cool and an ex F3A champion. He maintained that trimming was KING for a viceless model.

Perhaps if I've missed the "definitive trimming guide" you guys could point me toward it or failing that perhaps someone would care to elaborate as to what they do? The more detail the better.

Obviously it might be better in a new thread to restrict the chaff in this thread.

I'm intrigued at Cayars wing straightening technique (assuming strategic tightening of the covering?)

Cheers D
Turboparkers blog, about half way - 2/3 down, has some very good trimming information.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=271944
Aug 25, 2011, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz

Hey, I got my first turbine airframe the other day, a DV8R!! Now I need to start buying servos, retracts, etc. And a new car to carry it all!

Andy
Sounds great Andy you lucky *^%£$ That will always be out of my league.
I do admire anyone who has the bottle to put that sort of moneys worth into the air, and I love watching them. The very best of luck, keep us posted.

Now: Could you explain more about this second binding? It doesn't seem an intuitive thing to need to do. Is it purely for failsafe? i.e. if you bind (setting failsafe) then change throttle direction, you end up with throttle failsafe at full throttle? So bind again to set it where you really want it?
Aug 25, 2011, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8erUK
Now: Could you explain more about this second binding? It doesn't seem an intuitive thing to need to do. Is it purely for failsafe? i.e. if you bind (setting failsafe) then change throttle direction, you end up with throttle failsafe at full throttle? So bind again to set it where you really want it?
Yep that's what it is for!
Aug 25, 2011, 07:00 AM
Andy did you pick it up new or used? Which color scheme is it? I always like the "sport" on that jet.

You made a pretty good choice with it as that plane has a pretty large flight envelope. It's moderately fast at about 180 and slows down and flys around 30. It's also one of the better grass planes.

Any idea which turbine you are going to go with? Is it a Pat McCurry kit or the newer TBM ARF kit (1 or 3 piece wing)?

Is this going to be a winter project/build for you?

Do you have an inspector near you? If not and your going to be in Jersey give me a heads up and I'll help you get your inspection and turbine waiver.

Ever flown anything that fast before?
Carlo
Aug 25, 2011, 07:24 AM
RCHN #150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
Why don't you just fix this mechanically like it should be fixed so the speed of the motor (prop blast/wash) doesn't effect the model. You'll never be able to setup trims or mixes to compensate this properly.
When your aircraft has elevons (like the Stryker), the speed of the motor and speed of the aircraft make a mechanical adjustment impossible. In trim at low speed will not be in trim at max speed.

Similarly, if you have a powered glider (Radian Pro, for example), it will tend to loop under power. So, set the mix to increase down elevator as you increase throttle.

Two cents.

Rick
Aug 25, 2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
Andy did you pick it up new or used? Which color scheme is it? I always like the "sport" on that jet.
Thunderbirds. #6

Quote:
You made a pretty good choice with it as that plane has a pretty large flight envelope. It's moderately fast at about 180 and slows down and flys around 30. It's also one of the better grass planes.
We already have one at the field, and I've seen it fly a number of times. This weekend is our Illini SuperJets http://elifield.com/flyers/2011_SuperJets.pdf meet and his dad said they plan to pump 35 gallons through the engine.

Quote:
Any idea which turbine you are going to go with? Is it a Pat McCurry kit or the newer TBM ARF kit (1 or 3 piece wing)?
Definitely JetCat. One of their service guys works here. TBM.

Quote:
Is this going to be a winter project/build for you?
I certainly hope so!

Quote:
Do you have an inspector near you? If not and your going to be in Jersey give me a heads up and I'll help you get your inspection and turbine waiver.
Yup, several of the guys here. Our club has about 20 turbines in it that I can think of, including guys who helped the AMA set up the waiver program. The guy I got it from can sign off everything.

Quote:
Ever flown anything that fast before?
150 in a 4' hotliner is my tops so far. I have a small Habu32-powered plane I'm working on right now. By the time the DV8R is ready, I will have quite a bit of 150+ airtime.

Andy
Aug 25, 2011, 08:12 AM
GOOD FOR YOU ANDY ON THE JET!!! And I hope the Illi-Jet Event goes well for you guys!

I've just finished up the new JR GSRZ260 heli. Currently I've got the 12X guiding it on DSMX. I am using 2 sats and the new base 7110R RX on 2S LI-PO. I also added the TM1000 as the iDevice STi thingy will be coming soon. OR if I decide to use my DX8. I have the RX voltage; LI-PO voltage and altimeter and the temperature thermocouple from Spektrum planned for this heli too. All are onboard…but waiting the last piece, the STi thingy!!!

All that said, my question is I want to use the RevLimiter on the RX. I spoke with Jeff H. on the placement on it so the gas engine will work with it. But the RX needs the sensor plugged into it so the rev limiter works. AND the TM1000 also needs the sensor in it so the telemetry sends the RPMS to the iDevice/DX8. What do you suggest I do to get the sensor output to BOTH the RX and TM1000? Y-harness? But they use different plug sizes. Does the TM1000 only need the signal wire from the RPM sensor or does it need the black wire too? OR all 3 wires? I want to make sure to NOT hurt or burn anything gout by feeding both RX and TM unit with the same sensor if possible.

Any tips would be appreciated.

THANKS!

GMRO
Aug 25, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ron,

You need to e-mail John on that.

Andy
Aug 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog7
I know this is a little off topic, but I've searched RCG for comprehensive how to's on trimming. I met a old boy on holiday who was really cool and an ex F3A champion. He maintained that trimming was KING for a viceless model.

Perhaps if I've missed the "definitive trimming guide" you guys could point me toward it or failing that perhaps someone would care to elaborate as to what they do? The more detail the better.
Do a Google search for Peter Goldsmith's trimming series, about 14 parts IIRC?

OR.... Andy MAY have some sort of direct link he can post.....
Aug 25, 2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks all.

Cayars,
Somehow I missed your reply to my original qtn and answered that of GBRellic???
Dunno what happened there, anyways thanks for that work through. I'll wait for a windless day to attempt it.

Thanks also to Pkquat and Zeeb for their links and I'll get a look at them as soon as I get a moment.
D
Aug 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
Cayars,
Sorry for missing this out of my last post, Yes a thread to which peeps could all contribute would be awesome if you'd care to kick it off.

It could be refined into the collective definitive way to make a bird fly well!

I've been all over the place recently and not read stuff as thoroughly as I should have

Cheers all.
Aug 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account

Model Select Shortcut

I saw in a video where the guy was pressing both "clear" and "back" buttons simultaneously to get into the "Model Select" screen, and by God it works. I have found this very useful, turning off the Tx everytime to change models was somewhat inconvenient. Is this a surprise to some of you guys? It was to me.
VP

PS I found this in the manual, PDF version is legible. What a great feature this will be from now on!
Last edited by Victory Pete; Aug 25, 2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply