HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:00 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
So they save money by using 20 year old surplus parts? I guess it`s a miracle that they work as well as they do. I took a look at the little gizmo that you guys are talking about. It`s about 3mm x 2mm! I can`t even make a blob of solder that small, LOL.
Possibly surplus :-).. IMO.. FAR more likely these are Fake chips.
Worldwide epidemic of Chinese Fake chips.
Many are even surfacing as installed in Military Aircraft systems (true And documented)..
Now ain't that a Happy thought.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfodor View Post
Just an FYI re: uprocessor speed. The Castle ICE2 120HV uses a SILABS F367 uprocessor that is capable of 50 MIPS (million instructions per second) compared to the YEP 120HV capable of 20 MIPS. You get what you pay for.
Believe me, I understand that there's a big difference between CC and something like the YEP. I have owned about 10 CC HV esc in the past 5 years and I appreciate their quality and customer support. I'm just trying to push the limits of the less expensive equipment.

If I just wanted to build one system for a special project, it would be much easier to wind an 8 pole motor and run it with a $300 esc. But that's just not my goal.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:41 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
I've got a JS-1400 I'll throw in if ya want to try it Lee. Its a 9/6p. Has a standoff already and has lots of room for wire. I've already converted it to 5mm.
I was gonna switch it to WYE and see How it did on 8S. But you're better at this than me and may get a better wind.
Thanks for reminding me about the JS-1400. I used mine today to test the RPM limits of the YEP esc on a 6 pole motor.

Good News for inexpensive esc lovers. The YEP runs the 6 pole out runner smoothly all the way up to about 58.5k and that`s at 18 degrees timing. It might do 60k on 30 degrees of advance. So that at least answers that question.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:00 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
Is that when it lost synch, or is that just the motor's kv?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Yes, that`s when it lost synch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:45 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Thanks to lots of help from Magnus' research. I've turned up three possible donor motors for suitable 6 pole motors. One is on order and two more will get ordered this week. I'm encouraged by the finds, all in the $20-$30 range.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:55 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfodor View Post
. You get what you pay for.
I still have the first two $20 controllers I bought to replace $240 worth of burned up CC units. You don't always get what you pay for!

I asked for a double length JS1400 many times back when they were making them. I was told it was in the works, but obviously it never hit the market. The regular one is just too short to get a lot of power out of. Efficiency was poor at high power levels.

I rewound and connected two 28mm outrunners together for an F5D plane that has a small nose. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=1
The first one I did was with 9N6P and it was not a good match for spinning big props at low rpm, but it might be great for edf. It needs another rewind so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Lee, did you find 36mm 9N6P motors?

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:17 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
That`s very cool Steve, I`ve been giving the two motor idea some serious thought, but for the big stuff like the Dynamax or Ramtec. A pair of the 4030 Turnigy outrunners could so 12kw to 14kw, and with two of the Yep type esc the whole system could be done for about $400 or so, not counting lipos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Saw it fly this morning!!!!!

Was lucky enough to be at the local club this morning and watch Scott fly this new fanjet. I was impressed with everything I saw, especially the slow speed landings w/flaps. The combination of this exciteing new fanjet and Scott's proven reliability and honesty should send sparks through the fanjet rc world.
judyak is offline Find More Posts by judyak
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyak View Post
Was lucky enough to be at the local club this morning and watch Scott fly this new fanjet. I was impressed with everything I saw, especially the slow speed landings w/flaps. The combination of this exciteing new fanjet and Scott's proven reliability and honesty should send sparks through the fanjet rc world.
Sorry, you lost me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Me too.
rfodor is offline Find More Posts by rfodor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
I think he must be talking about this, just doesn`t have the forum posting thing quite figured out yet. It is an impressive video, however it doesn`t have much to do with this HiPo 70mm thread. LOL

Rc Victory Jet Slow Flight (5 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:12 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
I`m glad to be able to help you a bit with Your groundbreaking highpower fans.
I did dissect the X500 last night, not much space for the windings....it is wound with 12 wires, 0,29mm (~0,26 bare copper), 6 turns, terminated Delta and Rm is 30 milliOhms. Stator did come off after 10-15 sec of torch on the holders back. Copper was pretty easy to rewind even though it is glued in place.

Some testwinding showed that 6 turns 1,15mm does fit, (wery tight!). Whats your target Kv again?

I dont think it will be able to handle 3-4kW...
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:31 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Im looking for the 1600-1800 range for HV operation. 10-12s. There is lots of flexibility, I'm looking to keep the amps in the 80-90 range with HV.

Im going to start with that T-500 Heli Drive 42mm. It's only 4mm larger in dia than the 3126 Turnigy frame that I've had good luck with. And it should handle 4kw a little better because of it's extra size/weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:38 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
I ordered the T-500 from the US warehouse, so maybe I'll have it to work on by the weekend.
RCG Plus Member