HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, WA, Goldendale
Joined Apr 2012
171 Posts
Discussion
What do you think, Time to update or repair?

I dropped my wing for my 1/4 scale Sig Spacewalker and broke off the wing jointer blade. Since I now have to open up the wing to remove the other section and put in one complete and unbroken piece, do you think I should go ahead and udate both wing halfs with a carbon fiber rod, servos in the wing and retaining bolts at the root? What would you do? I do have MANY, WAY TOO MANY planes to fly in the mean time.
gva1956 is offline Find More Posts by gva1956
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:56 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956 View Post
I dropped my wing for my 1/4 scale Sig Spacewalker and broke off the wing jointer blade. Since I now have to open up the wing to remove the other section and put in one complete and unbroken piece, do you think I should go ahead and udate both wing halfs with a carbon fiber rod, servos in the wing and retaining bolts at the root? What would you do? I do have MANY, WAY TOO MANY planes to fly in the mean time.
lol-If you're gonna keep dropping the wing,I'd put in an aluminum joiner -in fact I'd do it anyway.,even if you don't split the wing for transportation.Separate servos are the current trend,but I have a few planes with pushrods and belcranks.
Since you're offering to update it,help yourself-it's a good idea.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,182 Posts
I think going to alum. is a good plan too!

Converting a wing that's been designed to be epoxied together using a joiner, to one using a tube setup, (name your material, whatever....) is something I've been wanting to try for a while now too though. So that's a pretty attractive idea as well...

I don't think I would got to that kind of trouble just to replace it with more ply though. Just me on that...
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,234 Posts
sounds like a good idea! since it's not your only thing ta fly! go for it!

bring her inta the 21st century! carbon fiber tube and seperate aileron servo's! yup yup!sounds like a fun project!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's