Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Seems to have been cut before tragedy. 19 seconds.

Not the best demo to show of it, it appears completely out of control.
But it is undeniably cool, and unique.
I'm sure it's what I'd call a Cat-slicer. I won't try to fly it unless I have tons of space for it, and then I'll be sure to stay "two mistakes" up.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:28 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Ha! Ha! We'll never know if the video was cut because "tragedy struck". Did the pilot have much experience with this bird before that video was filmed? We don't know. I can't say he had the best handle on the thing, but "completely out of control"? Really KB?

Just let us know how you do with yours.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Seems to have been cut before tragedy. 19 seconds.

Not the best demo to show of it, it appears completely out of control.
But it is undeniably cool, and unique.
I'm sure it's what I'd call a Cat-slicer. I won't try to fly it unless I have tons of space for it, and then I'll be sure to stay "two mistakes" up.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:38 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Another video

Just found this one. Yes they're beginning to trickle in. This 9104 video is longer but the camera is not always on the heli. Also there is much hovering in a much more confined area rather than the previous video which demos it in FFF over a large area.

DH 9104(*Please Do Not Expect To Much from this Video*) (2 min 2 sec)

Ed
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
My comment was based on the copter going sideways past the camera at top chat, and not "flying the nose".
Good call, hard to say.

IF Double Horse makes the "upgrade to fourth channel" kit for under $40 retail, these could be HUGE, as many would buy them, crash em, and then spend that $40. In that light, this copter is Great Marketing.

Even minus any easy path to four channel, this design could very well get smaller, and replace our baby coaxials completely: the gyro that controls the tail is cheaper than a coaxial mast and extra set of blades, and servos are now dirt-cheap.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,243 Posts
Quote:

Even minus any easy path to four channel, this design could very well get smaller, and replace our baby coaxials completely: the gyro that controls the tail is cheaper than a coaxial mast and extra set of blades, and servos are now dirt-cheap.
This is exactly why there is little excitement in 4 channel coaxes. They have been replaced by self-stabilizing single rotor helis. It won't be long until flybarless helis replace the self-stabilizing ones for beginners.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
It seems to me that the pilot in that video simply "threw" that thing into that turn! Too much rudder, too soon, at nearly full throttle! I've done it with my Blade 120SR, back in the day when I was first learning to fly it. And today, I can't say I know how to fly the thing, but that's a topic for another discussion.

But yea, a RTF, 4 channel single rotor version of the S107 that sells for say, 1/3 of the price of a RTF Blade mSR, is something I would jump on in a "New York minute".

I say to Syma/Double Horse, BRING IT!

Ed

Quote:
My comment was based on the copter going sideways past the camera at top chat, and not "flying the nose".
Good call, hard to say.

IF Double Horse makes the "upgrade to fourth channel" kit for under $40 retail, these could be HUGE, as many would buy them, crash em, and then spend that $40. In that light, this copter is Great Marketing.

Last edited by edwong3; Apr 18, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

The metal-sandwich'd Double Horse 9104 rotor Head assembly. The buckle links are substantial, and the small diameter swash makes the servo's inputs a little less aggressive getting to the flybar. Also notice the "wrong" angle on the servo link, likely another intentional effort to tame the copter's overall response.
In the short hops I gave it, there was a lot of "give" in the F/R control, it did not feel twitchy.
+
MORE PICS going up HERE
Last edited by killbucket; Apr 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
This copter HAS a four-channel setup in it, with one channel not used!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Does that mean you're going to turn it into a 4-channel, KB? A nice project for you there. (Love the sandwhich )
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
But yea, a RTF, 4 channel single rotor version of the S107 that sells for say, 1/3 of the price of a RTF Blade mSR, is something I would jump on in a "New York minute".
I'd say that the Solo Pro fits that description. Don't you have one of those, or am I confusing you with someone else?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

The main PCB on the copter has what looks like a missing FET and a servo connector,

and the Tx has an un-used contact set.

It appears that only a few components

MAY be needed to get another channel going.

The Tx throw for the un-used axis is locked out with a small widget. Hot melt glue to hold the pots in factory setting was "not forgotten"
Notice the PCB says "SH-9100T-01"
Last edited by killbucket; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:22 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
It's clear that the original intention was to have this as a 4 channel heli.

What perplexes me is the apparent late decision to make it a 3 channel. Was it to keep costs down? Did it not fly well with the 4th channel enabled? Did they have a change of heart and want to target a different market? Did someone at the factory simply forget to install the extra servo?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
No Frank, somebody heard that KB was the only one that buys them so they decided to make it 3 channel because he doesn't go for 4 channels.

(Only jesting KB. )
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Look up Product Scalability.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Last edited by Frank_fjs; Apr 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM.