HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:35 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
This is EPO foam. (Extruded Poly Olefin )(sp?) It will tolerate just about any kind of rattle can you want to throw at it. Lacquer, Enamel, Epoxy based paint, Latex, Oil based, you name it. You can and should even wipe it down with acetone before you paint it. If you want the ultimate in paint adhesion, the best process is this:

- Mix wood glue and talcum or baby powder so that it is thick, but not too thick to brush on.

-Brush on a thin coat of this mix, and allow it to dry

-Brush on a second coat of this mix, and allow to dry again

-Lightly sand the dried coating to a smooth finish. If you lay down just the right amount, it will be very smooth

-Go to the autoparts store, and get a can of Adhesion Promotor made by Duplicolor, and lay that down. It is clear and un-noticeable.

-Paint to your hearts content

Note: it is best to only put this primer mix where you want to actually paint. If you are going to paint the entire bird, then you would coat the whole thing. If there is an area that you intend to leave white, your best bet is to leave it bare foam. No sense in adding weight with the primer coat, and then having to shoot more paint with the white.

Note #2: You can spray or brush on just about any type of paint that you like to use. Acrylic does not do so well when brushed on, and should be airbrushed if you want to use acrylic. You can paint the plane with anything without the mixture, but if you lay down a color, and then you try to mask it to lay another color..the masking tape will probably pull it off the foam if you don't use the priming mixture.

-CC

PS I just added the N numbers to my plane. I will post a pic in a few minutes.
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Vallejo
Joined Oct 2013
28 Posts
Thanks for the info
Skyscanr is offline Find More Posts by Skyscanr
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
N-number

I made the stencil for it by printing the number from Microsoft Word, then laying it down on a sheet of adhesive back (peel off) paper, and cutting the numbers into the adhesive paper by hand with a #11 Exacto Blade. Then I used this as a stencil-stuck it to the plane, and shot it with the same paint used on the rest of the plane.

-CC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:31 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I made the stencil for it by printing the number from Microsoft Word, then laying it down on a sheet of adhesive back (peel off) paper, and cutting the numbers into the adhesive paper by hand with a #11 Exacto Blade. Then I used this as a stencil-stuck it to the plane, and shot it with the same paint used on the rest of the plane.

-CC
Very Very Nice!
mrtibbs is offline Find More Posts by mrtibbs
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:34 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
Probably just some stripes on the Fuselage and that will be it. The wing needs a little more color too. Those white wings disappear in the clouds late in the evening.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:09 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
Video of my second flight.with the SR on 9 Nov 2013. Camera man didn't show in time to capture maiden. This was the guys first attempt at using my camera, so be kind.

As always, watch in HD.

-CC
Dynam SR-22 (3 min 52 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,943 Posts
cubcrazy..that vid was pretty good for a beginner...Can you remind us again what motor/esc/blade combo you are using..I do like the idea of 1/2 throttle takeoffs..It leaves a lot in reserve...more is better for me.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
41 Posts
Just a few picture of this SR-22 I've added some detail not much.
Atx10 is offline Find More Posts by Atx10
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:36 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
cubcrazy..that vid was pretty good for a beginner...Can you remind us again what motor/esc/blade combo you are using..I do like the idea of 1/2 throttle takeoffs..It leaves a lot in reserve...more is better for me.
I am running a 480 Plus from headsup RC out of Ocala Florida. A 40 amp ESC, and a 10x7x3 MAS prop. Their site quotes 33 amps on that combo, but I have been getting more like 26-30 depending on the age of the battery. I run 2650, 2700, and 3000 packs. My timer is set to 12 minutes with these large batteries. It's not a really fast machine, but it's got lots of grunt. I can climb near vertical forever. I run 35 and 40c packs.

Since you are in AUS, I would be on the lookout for a 1000kv 35mm diameter motor rated at 450 watts. I may step up to an 11x7 3 blade, but this 10 feels like the sweet spot for looks and performance.

-CC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Sep 2013
142 Posts
Maiden ed my SR Trainer last Saturday...I have a cockpit camera view FPV of the first flight.
SR Trainer Maiden (6 min 5 sec)
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,943 Posts
mrtibbs...great 1st flight...Pity about that big chunk of foam...lol I think I will try cut mine down a bit and relocate the battery tray as others have done here.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
mrtibbs...great 1st flight...Pity about that big chunk of foam...lol I think I will try cut mine down a bit and relocate the battery tray as others have done here.
Yeah I cut it away the other day lol...I noticed that when I got it home after the maiden the prop was very loose...I was super sure I glued the heck out of the engine mount....when I opened the nose I found that the X mount (little black screws) were all loose to fall out except for one!...If I was in the air for 3-5 more mins it would have crashed!...I applied loctite to all of them and screwed them back in.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
1,943 Posts
mrtibbs....Have you done any other mods?? batt/landing gear/motor/lights..Mine is still in box. Im like a lot of others..See one you like and buy it before is goes out of stock.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Sep 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
mrtibbs....Have you done any other mods?? batt/landing gear/motor/lights..Mine is still in box. Im like a lot of others..See one you like and buy it before is goes out of stock.
Just the motor upgrade to a Turnigy 1100kv motor is about it ...I did pickup a light kit today from HK for $7.95
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
Hello guys! I just grabbed mine a few days ago and flew it for the first time! Flies great but looks really plain so i will be adding a Red bull paint scheme to it!
mike_mike is offline Find More Posts by mike_mike