HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:15 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
RD,

There's an old joke in which the punch line is an old geezer complaining...

But I dont get up 'til 8!
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,031 Posts
Flew the Champ with the P51 motor today. Now I can do loops without diving first. And cruise at almost less than half throttle.
Left Coast DJ is online now Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
107 Posts
with two motors like mine you can cruise at almost nothing. Its sweet. Got some serious performance but can also lay back and cruise around the sky.
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Flew the Champ with the P51 motor today. Now I can do loops without diving first. And cruise at almost less than half throttle.
Did you change the prop?

I added the p51 motor and 5043 prop and flew a couple 160 lipo's. I assume it was the battery but it seemed a bit sluggish. I re-installed the stock prop and it was made a huge difference! Went straight up!

I'm ordering some larger batteries and will try the 5043 again but I'm not too worried about it.....the p51 w/stock prop is fun enough!
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
I hope to try the GWS prop mode one of these days. To date, however, I find the combination of the Mustang motor and the stock Champ prop to be more than sufficient for good agressive (think WOT, windy days!! ) Champ flying. I also use the Hyperion 240 cell. I'll have to try one of the G-force 160's just for comparison purposes. I think I know ahead of time what the results will be.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Here's a picture of my Champ with some fresh touch-up paint. What ya can't see is the new yet-to-fly Mustang motor inside. Still waiting on the glue to dry at the motor cage pegs...and the winds to die down.

As mentioned a few pages ago, the stock battery will choke with anything above 3/4 throttle. What would a good reccomendation battery rating be with using the Mustang motor and stock prop??
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Last edited by mds47588; Mar 07, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,031 Posts
I installed P51 motor with the stock prop. After flying it on Sunday, I think I need to shim the motor a wee bit for just a little down thrust.

Also, after I moved the electronics into the new fuse, whenever I hit the elevator, the rudder als moves. I don't see any physical links. Not sure if I fried the brick somehow when I transfered it.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,031 Posts
So it looks like rudder and elevator pull rods were moving in sync because the brick had come partially unseated. I used super glue initially. This morning I hot glued it. And this afternoon the Champ flew brilliantly. I sure love the Champ.

My goal is to be able to fly it from my back yard, with a bottle of Fuller's London Porter next to me.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
So it looks like rudder and elevator pull rods were moving in sync because the brick had come partially unseated. I used super glue initially. This morning I hot glued it. And this afternoon the Champ flew brilliantly. I sure love the Champ.

My goal is to be able to fly it from my back yard, with a bottle of Fuller's London Porter next to me.
You should be able to do that,and if it's calm...you can trim the Champ to just keep circling while you use two hands on the bottle of Porter..lol

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,429 Posts
Hahaha, I have done that a couple of times. Sat my tx down and just watched it for a while. Nice.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Looking to convert my champ to brushless. Already installed a 4site motor and gws prop. The motor lasted about a week and is already burning out. Hvae to turn the prop with my finger to get is to start spinning. Went through all the motor swaps in my msr also, sick of it. Ive been trying to search for a brushless converter so I can just use the same brick. Something like the steve converter I see people using in the mcpx. Have not had much luck finding one. Anyone have a link to a converter I can use to do this?
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
New pilot, planning to mod from the getgo.

Looking to get back into the hobby, when I was little I used to fly cheap 2 channel planes. Figured a Champ is a great starter plane from all I've read and heard about it (better too being 3 channel), also want to get/make a float set soon as possible and plan to get a light set too. Thant being said I'd appreciate any suggestions. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Toklan is offline Find More Posts by Toklan
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:21 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toklan View Post
Looking to get back into the hobby, when I was little I used to fly cheap 2 channel planes. Figured a Champ is a great starter plane from all I've read and heard about it (better too being 3 channel), also want to get/make a float set soon as possible and plan to get a light set too. Thant being said I'd appreciate any suggestions. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Welcome to the forum and I think you will have a great time with the Champ

I still have a few 2ch planes I fy indoors they help keep the thumbs in practice when I can't get outside

Keep us posted on your progress and remember if you have a question please ask it, there is no such thing as a stupid question and we all started out as new pilots at one time

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Floats, (scissor-cut).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toklan View Post
Here's a float plan. Good Luck!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
Looking to convert my champ to brushless. Already installed a 4site motor and gws prop. The motor lasted about a week and is already burning out. Hvae to turn the prop with my finger to get is to start spinning. Went through all the motor swaps in my msr also, sick of it. Ive been trying to search for a brushless converter so I can just use the same brick. Something like the steve converter I see people using in the mcpx. Have not had much luck finding one. Anyone have a link to a converter I can use to do this?
Here is a nice little setup. Though I haven't tried it in the Champ, it should do the job.
You wouldn't need the extra servo shown here.
There is also a more square version, the Mx-0104ARX-HBL, which may fit in the Champ better.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31