HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Discussion
Me and my MXC

The thread title I have chosen seems to make the most sense as this is not a build thread but a few comments and photos on my gliders. Ideas from others will at least I hope to be noted.

There will be photos from two different gliders, one is new and the other has flown hundreds of miles and has survived a mid air.

The MXC comes from RnR products in Milpitas, Ca. They are know for many designs but the only ships I have flown other than the MXC is their SBXC and Millenium. RnR is responsible for cross country as we know it today. No one else has made the commitment they have.
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:52 AM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Thanks for posting that Dean. Velcro in the fuselage is a great idea.
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean - Thanks!!!!
Keep it coming wanna see more!
I like the metal strip on the skid - alum or SS?
Orientation for the Sky Melody in conjuction with 2.4 rcv and GPS unit? Any gotcha there you experienced?
Servo wires within the fuse from nose to fin - do you secure them? Is so any techniques you'd like to share?
Tow hook location and how to correctly measure CG - w/wings wo/wings?
Man tons of questions

cheers,

jack ~
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:38 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,394 Posts
Jack,

All of these questions would suggest you'll be flying an MXC in a couple of weeks. That a good assumption?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs99v View Post
Dean - Thanks!!!!
Keep it coming wanna see more!
I like the metal strip on the skid - alum or SS?
Orientation for the Sky Melody in conjuction with 2.4 rcv and GPS unit? Any gotcha there you experienced?
Servo wires within the fuse from nose to fin - do you secure them? Is so any techniques you'd like to share?
Tow hook location and how to correctly measure CG - w/wings wo/wings?
Man tons of questions

cheers,

jack ~
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jun 03, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Mike,

Sorry that is a team secret I'll have to consult them prior to releasing any information

Most likely we'll fly #8 version 2 and/or 3 - As this is what we have the most miles on. We've learned alot in the past few contests. So we'll see what the conditions deal us and go from there. But I've had my MXC for almost two years now. But you can never finish updating and making it better. This sharing that Dean is providing is key to that development - maybe I should also post what I've done as well. Don't know up to Dean if it helps or muddles
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Please Jack join in. We all gain from it. After all this is about "Me and my MXC"

Regards Dean
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:42 PM
Joined Jan 2005
264 Posts
Dean,

It looks like your antenna for the 2.4 radio is laying directly over the carbon strip in the fuselage or does it stop short of the carbon? Hard to tell from the photo. Obviously the carbon is not causing problems for you.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
John,
I make sure the antenna stops short of the carbon strip. Use masking tape or velcro which has not been done on the new one yet.
regards Dean
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Skid made from aluminum about 030" thick.
The vario antenna has been in several locations without a problem using 2.4. So far settled below battery floor as the way to do it.
Also wanted to mention have removed switches and plug batteries directly to receiver. The plywood mount and switches weighed 2 1/2 oz.
I make my own harness's using Tefzel mil-spec aircraft wire. Use 22ga. for pos. and neg. and 24ga. for the signal wire. For the tail run (61") I used one pos. and one neg. with two signal wires. This weighed 29 grams compared to 51 grams for twisted 22 ga. hobby shop wire. I shorten the servo leads when it makes sense, weight again. Remember a glider gains weight a gram at a time.
And If you think I'm overthinking this go to F3X group and read some of the build threads. This is where I learned about wires and weight. Some terrific minds in that group.

Regards Dean
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:46 PM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Oh how i'm green with envy.
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H
Old Jun 06, 2010, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
592 Posts
Iv'e been using JR 368's for rudder and the ailerons. JR 9411's for elevator and flaps. Maybe a little overkill but you have to keep in mind the wing surfaces are skin hinged on the top and they are rather stiff especially the flaps. In fact you will not get flap angles that you could with the SBXC. It's a good trade off though as the upper surface smooth with no gaps.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:23 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Dean,

Is the JR368 strong enough to pull the flaps at speed? I have found that some of the older standard size servos are not. This is a disaster as the elevator compensation kicks in but the flaps do not move and the plane dives.

Greg
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jun 07, 2010, 11:52 AM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Greg - 9411 on flaps not 368
I have the same setup and dive testing was successfull - the contest before last when I had to land when you were spec'd out higher than I was. Landed in < 15 seconds .
I like the new LipoFE Dean has - waiting for the 4600's that is 8.2Ahrs -