Vtol f35 Realflight (1 min 17 sec)
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:46 AM
United States, MD, St Mary's County
Joined Feb 2014
157 Posts
Great project!

Might I suggest trying to get the 3BSD to rotate 95degs to give you some slowing power, as well as maybe making a forward fan vane box to control forward/aft movement while hovering.
Quote:
There is one other component that is built into the airframe – the vane box. It is essentially the base of the LiftFan® with moveable vanes that can control the thrust by directing the downward flow. This vane box enables the F-35B to move slightly forward or backward when it is in STOVL mode. https://www.f35.com/news/detail/how-...he-f-35b-hover
Those should help in the transition from STOVL to CTOL
nevenelestate is online now Find More Posts by nevenelestate
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:23 PM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevenelestate View Post
Great project!

Might I suggest trying to get the 3BSD to rotate 95degs to give you some slowing power, as well as maybe making a forward fan vane box to control forward/aft movement while hovering.

Those should help in the transition from STOVL to CTOL
Slowing up in VTOL is based on pitch control. A 95 degree bsdm might confuse your control board.
louisjunior is offline Find More Posts by louisjunior
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisjunior View Post
Slowing up in VTOL is based on pitch control. A 95 degree bsdm might confuse your control board.
I am still waiting for the ultimate freudian slip on this thread...
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Jan 23, 2015, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,286 Posts
Joel,

It's been a while and I am really looking forward to hearing of your success.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
I am still waiting for the ultimate freudian slip on this thread...
I have complex train of thoughts about this F-35 project. Most VTOL aircrafts pitch up when transitioning from conventional flight. I said using a 95d swivel could confuse the board because it will at some point cause the plane to start reversing which if auto leveling is enabled will pitch down to compensate for movement.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,286 Posts
Quote:
I said using a 95d swivel could confuse the board because it will at some point cause the plane to start reversing which if auto leveling is enabled will pitch down to compensate for movement.
I don't think so. At least for the OpenAero-VTOL firmware, AL is mostly derived from the gyros. The accelerometers are only used to trim the level point for the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit), and very slowly at that. All of this means that the AL is relatively insensitive to lateral movement so it will just hold the plane level. The plane may well translate backwards, but the pilot would simply push the nose down a touch to compensate, just as he would do if hovering in a head wind.

I think you guys are over thinking this. If the pilot wants to slow to a hover on an inbound transition they simply raise the nose and manage the throttle to maintain altitude. It will come to a halt soon enough.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
I know for sure I am overthinking it. Just want a product that reflects exactly the real plane. But u are absolutely right, just pitching up will slow down the plane. Now one question I have and this is strictly for tx programming and still at a theorical phase. My ailerons are on 2 separate channels so are the elevators. I would like to add them on a flight controller (fc). How effective will it be to use two separate fc? One for each side of the flight surfaces?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:36 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,286 Posts
Quote:
I know for sure I am overthinking it. Just want a product that reflects exactly the real plane. But u are absolutely right, just pitching up will slow down the plane. Now one question I have and this is strictly for tx programming and still at a theorical phase. My ailerons are on 2 separate channels so are the elevators. I would like to add them on a flight controller (fc). How effective will it be to use two separate fc? One for each side of the flight surfaces?
Unless you have more than 8 things to control at one time there is no need for more than one FC. I am speaking of OpenAero-VTOL based on a KK2 board here.

2 FC's could be used in parallel and there is no reason why it would not work, but it is a hassle, and unless you are doing something really unusual there is no good reason for it.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair View Post
Unless you have more than 8 things to control at one time there is no need for more than one FC. I am speaking of OpenAero-VTOL based on a KK2 board here.

2 FC's could be used in parallel and there is no reason why it would not work, but it is a hassle, and unless you are doing something really unusual there is no good reason for it.
Trying to replicate fcc with the control surfaces been on different channels.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Trying to replicate fcc with the control surfaces been on different channels.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
189 Posts
Hi all, it's been a while, still working on the open earo vtol firmware, we are building a frame to learn my buddies how to hover the jet. meanwhile in hongkong the carbon jet is build, i will post some photos soon. i keep you updated
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof