HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,417 Posts
The Pulse batteries can handle more abuse. I use the 1350 3S with a 3530-1700 KV and have unlimited vertical and the batteries don't overheat. This set up is not for the beginner... :-)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ttery&_sacat=0
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
USA, PA, New Hope
Joined Nov 2001
911 Posts
I fly gliders and learned to hate adding lead to balance a plane. I realize that this is a different animal but still read that lighter Assassins fly better. I am considering shaving the motor mount corners so I can reduce the lead in the nose. The plane is less than 18 ounces all up which is where the instructions say it should be. I don't expect much reduction is possible. Is this worthwhile or is my glider experience sending me to a crazy place?
Vito
Vito is offline Find More Posts by Vito
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jun 2013
560 Posts
Vito, many of us move the motor mount forward some (1-2cm) to avoid lead. i hate lead.
Rdimand is online now Find More Posts by Rdimand
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard View Post
Well got her in the air today..

with the NTM 3000Kv and 220 3cell 50c it did the best on the 5 x 4.5" pusher prop! DANG FAST BUT still even being nice on the throttle I only got 5 mins and it was OVER dead..

WOndering if I can sneak a 3000Mah in it??
Yeh I would stick to 2200 max on assassin. That's pretty much what I have landed on for my fast assassin. Larger has no more time and smaller takes away time for me. I am backing away from the 3000 and quit using 2700 long time ago and going back to my trusty SPJ (super mega jet. Extremely reliable on 6x4 but can't really play around me with my cg more with that motor. May start playing with lower kv ntm with 4s and see if they can be more reliable with a decent size prop. Small ones don't have the get out of hole power I want.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2013
560 Posts
Like SR, my next Assassin build will be back to lighter, have a Grayson SMJ (76 grams) and a MicroDan 2510-2700 (58 grams) sitting in my motor box, both picked up here in classified section at great prices. MicroDan may go first with 6x5 prop and 1500mah battery @129 grams http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,009 Posts
I know this may be controversial but I really have had the best luck with these high c nano for foamies. I have many others and the performance is just not as good. I flat out can't afford expensive batteries like pulse and tp. The last one is questionable with my group so not worth it even at half off.
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2013
560 Posts
sr what batteries do u use??
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Sep 2014
178 Posts
I'm not sure I would call Pulse expensive. More than HK, yes. Less than eflite for a 350 QX2 replacement, YES.

They have a 2700 mah instead of a 3000 mah for $30 instead of $58. I can buy two 2700s and fly much longer than one 3000.

I haven't looked at the dimensions but you could probably try this one:
http://stores.ebay.com/Go-Nitro-Hobb...%A0&_nkw=Pulse

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PULSE-11-1V-...item2c8880b45b

There are tons of other combos and people seem to like Pulse. I will try one soon because I just had an eflite puff on me after just a few months..... Going to see if they will replace it.
lucky53s is online now Find More Posts by lucky53s
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr175 View Post
I know this may be controversial but I really have had the best luck with these high c nano for foamies. I have many others and the performance is just not as good. I flat out can't afford expensive batteries like pulse and tp. The last one is questionable with my group so not worth it even at half off.

Use what works for you. I recently bought some nanotechs from HK. 2200, 3s, 45-90C. On my albatross pulling 45A max (meter tested), they puffed and got really hot. Dropped in a Pulse 2250 35C and it was barely warm, no puffing. Those HK batteries only had a couple flights on them. Before that, I'd had good luck with nanotechs. So I got some bad ones, or quality has been going downhill. Seems to be the case with other gear I've had good luck with in the past, like HXT900 servos. I have some on the first plane I ever built that still work great. Newer ones are failing so much I won't buy any more of them.

Maybe I'm just harder on stuff these days...
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Use what works for you. I recently bought some nanotechs from HK. 2200, 3s, 45-90C. On my albatross pulling 45A max (meter tested), they puffed and got really hot. Dropped in a Pulse 2250 35C and it was barely warm, no puffing. Those HK batteries only had a couple flights on them. Before that, I'd had good luck with nanotechs. So I got some bad ones, or quality has been going downhill. Seems to be the case with other gear I've had good luck with in the past, like HXT900 servos. I have some on the first plane I ever built that still work great. Newer ones are failing so much I won't buy any more of them.

Maybe I'm just harder on stuff these days...
Oh yeh I do . Like i said controversial. For foamies like the assassin I am really hard on batteries. For me my 3D is not even close to how hard I beat my wing batteries on assassin. HK quality checks are terrible and there are all sorts of experiences with them. I have had a couple puff but it was after lots of abuse which is expected. With the 1300 and 2200s i use I have had the best results with the nanotech 45-90's. I have had them in my high amp pull edf's to all my wings and even my 39 crack yak last night. The absolute worst batteries for me are the zippy. Just last night wasn't even flying hard in the CY and the zippy got mushy and hot. Threw the nano-tech in and had twice the power and just warm not to mention longer flight time. I have had the hobby people and they are really good low output batteries but nothing more than that. They are also very light so if you need low output and light they are good for that. The pulse are definitely not as bad as TP but far more than I am willing to spend on a wing. They are only 30c too but one of these days I will give them a try I guess. I know for a fact that the large ones are preferred by club members who fly 700 size heli and they are great. Very high output there. I hope they start selling different sizes though. An 1800 size would be nice for this wing. I have heard all consistent good about these batteries where I cant say the same for thunder power.

Just sayin what I have had happen to me that's all no suggestions for anyone as batteries really become a motor oil discussion along with servo talk. You question that just go watch the 3D threads. I think it just proves how versatile this wing is and how many different things you can do that are all valid. That's why I hate to see new assassin owners get all critical about single step in the build. Just follow instructions and go do it! I fell into that trap and hate to see others get lost in the minutia.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,452 Posts
Yup. No need to be weird about any of it. It's supposed to be FUN.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Team Warpsquad
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
679 Posts
I run the nano techs (high c) packs in my wing/planes as well as my quads and have yet to have one pull (cross fingers). I do take care of them and use a good charger and seem to be doing good, I do use a zippy on my larger plane since its a 3.3ah Always on the lookout for others to try if they have good reviews.
Mr.Aaron is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Last edited by Mr.Aaron; Yesterday at 07:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,009 Posts
thats a good point about the charger i started off using the cheap 50 charger when getting started. good for starters but spent a few bucks on good charger and the batter are a bit better with better charging. very good investment in addition to the fun epp wings
Old Today, 08:26 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,417 Posts
I have at least 5 brands of batteries. I have tried the Pulse, Rino, Turnigy, Thunder Power and more I have original Thunder Power batteries from 6-7 years ago that are still flying and they haven't been charged with balancers. The Pulse batteries seem to match their quality but haven't been out for long enough for a track record. My other brands only seem to last a season or two but I fly hard and frequently.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee