SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:38 PM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
249 Posts
Discussion
What is a screaming .15 size SE engine?

I am looking for recommendations for a screaming powerhouse .15 engine with side exhaust.
Building a Sig Doubler 2 from 1977 and it needs a 15. I have a NIB OS .15 cv-a.

I am wondering if there is a .15 side exhaust with muffler that has the personality of a Nelson or Jett 40?
King of Plane is online now Find More Posts by King of Plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:59 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
970 Posts
Novarossi/Rex has a .12 SE at a good price; http://www.planethobby.com/collections/cr-12f

They look great, in terms of quality etc. but I haven't flown mine yet...

Their .15 engines are all RE I think. The problem is that you need to use a very small prop and a sleek plane for these engines to perform well. So a SE and large muffler is not something anyone would normally want...
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:43 AM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
249 Posts
That would be acceptable but it is sold out.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:46 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
970 Posts
Does it have to be SE?
If you rotate the engine 90 you get a very convenient setup with a pipe along the fuselage.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:45 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,422 Posts
I have got some good results from my ASP blue head .15. It is the same as the Magnum. It needs a new turbo plug head and a larger venturi. Mine seems to like eating plugs with either head, but goes pretty strong. Really, the CVA is likely better, but I have not got one to compare ($$$$)
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:59 AM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
249 Posts
It doesn't have to be side exhaust. I did not want to mess with the rear exhausting setup as well as the additional expense.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:44 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,348 Posts
IIRC the cv-a has a skinny little 9mm crank that doesn't let it breath.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:09 PM
Hurts so good!
Joined May 2008
249 Posts
What is the nominal size of cranks on 15 size engines?
Is there no such thing as a screaming .15 size engine?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:56 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,718 Posts
The ASP S15A and Magnum XLS-15 (which are the same engines) both "Scream" pretty good.
My uncle has the Magnum version and with (I think) an 8x3 or 8x4 APC prop it turns somewhere around 19k. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he remembers the exact numbers and what prop and fuel he is using. I have an ASP S15A it's an exact match to the Magnum except for the carb restrctor that comes with the Magnum. My ASP is not broken in so I cannot give any numbers at this time but from what I have read (which I take with a grain of salt) runs the same numbers as the Magnum.
Also, the ASP is quite a bit cheaper in price than the Magnum

Magum XLS 15 is $66.99 at Tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRLG6

ASP S15A is $43.40 at Hobby Partz http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-s15a.html

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:02 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,718 Posts
Here are some pics of my ASP from Hobby Partz.

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
At present you can still find the MVVS 2.5cc erngines around and those are great runners. Big crankshaft, strong crankcase and you can get a tuned muffler for them or use a tuned pipe on them. It is a very powerful engine and runs quite strong and fast.

Parra makes strong running 2.5cc engines too. They tend to make most of them for control line combat but they do put RC carbs on them and sell them as RC engines too.

Enya has the .11CX engine and it is a strong runner too.

The fastest 2.5cc engines are Fora and Cyclon but they can be hard to get here though.

You may have to really hunt hard to find one but the old COX .15 Conquest was a good one too. It is rear exhaust and runs strong. MECOA makes and sells them intermittently.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:57 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
970 Posts
The Cox Conquest ABC version is a very good engine, but they are not made anymore...

The plane I posted above has an MVVS .15 in it, it does around 23000rpm on a 6.5x5 prop. But those engines are not made anymore either...

The ASP/Magnum etc with blue heads are just sports engines in comparison, but they'll make some noise on small props, and might do well on a SIG doubler, I guess that's a sport plane anyway?

If you do want a "screamer" I would go with the Rex .15 and a tuned pipe. The prices are quite good for those too; http://www.planethobby.com/collectio...d-needle-valve
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:44 PM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Hello !

Your .15 OS CV-A is one of the most screaming SE engine you can purchase at the moment.
All the engines that have been mentioned here before (except the conquest) are used in Germany for ACES Combat, and the CV-A is far the best.
If you want a more crazy engine, you could maybe try get a F2D Controlline combat one , or a Parra 2,5. these are the only ones, that will outperform the OS.
They cost more, but can also outperform the novarossi.

The blue head ASP is timed for operation up to 20000 rpm. I did try to use them on a F2D for training with 6,5x4 combat prop, but they just overheat all the time, i think because they sand blasted the bore for the liner and it can not get rid of the heat. ground rpm with this prop is 25500, i tried a lot with plugs and compression ratio, every time the same problem.

Best regards,
Sebastian
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Last edited by flyinglog; Sep 11, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:45 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,348 Posts
i think the enya isn't an .11 anymore, size has been bumped up to .13 or something? not AAC anymore either, real bummer but should still be a good runner.

the MVVS should still be easy to find but needs a bit of work done IMO to make it a screamer.

if you have the means to make a prop adapter then i would think that any of the little car engines, even the cheapos, would make a good screamer for plane use.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:51 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,422 Posts
My ASP blue head went 17,400 stock with muffler on 10% fuel, and a 7-5" MA prop. With no muffler and my turbo plug head it went 20,500. That is better than every other motor I have and matches the Fora. My MVVS looks great, but only managed 13,900 with or without the muffler. The Cox Conquest was 18,?00 as was the Taipan. The Fox BB 16,000. The lowly LA .15 was 17,200 (Pretty good really). Most of these were measured with no muffler. For my money, I like the ASP/Magnum blue head. If weight is a concern then the LA. If weight and no throttle, and money being no object I would go Fora as is in the pic. There is maybe some hot .21 motors around too, maybe not for rc planes so much, but more selection, like Picco etc.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Last edited by aspeed; Sep 11, 2014 at 02:57 PM.