SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2014, 01:40 PM
tommy tough nuts
Joined Jul 2013
77 Posts
Just left the WRAM in north jersey. I really enjoyed it. Easy parking, easy to get in and tons of nonsense to buy. My favorite store was Lukes RC. I wish I had a ton of money I would have went bonkers. That's right bonkers. There would have been pandimonium in that joint.
fepsphan is offline Find More Posts by fepsphan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:06 PM
Team RedWing RC
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Aug 2013
441 Posts
I'm heading out tomorrow, hope it'll be great!
RG916170 is online now Find More Posts by RG916170
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:21 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
Niice. Did you see a lot of helis for sale?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:30 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,813 Posts
We went yesterday, left around 3pm. There were about a half-dozen helis in the swap shop, a couple gassers too. Lots of planes, but nothing that really interested me. Picked up a couple odds and ends. There was a Ziroli P-47 full wood kit w/ the HD 5/8" CJM retracts for sale for $400, which is pretty good considering the retracts themselves are just shy of $500.

As far as vendors, there were some new faces. TBM came up all the way from Florida and was offering excellent prices on DLE engines. Esprit Model was there with the Jeti line of radios - nice stuff! Graupner SJ was there as well as Balsa USA. Vailly had their new 1/3 scale SE5A on display. There were some companies that I'd never heard of, but they all seemed to be offering good stuff. The place offering the RTR submarines was pretty cool and they also had a German Elephant tank RTR in 1/16 scale, never saw that before...

If you're going for deals, they were there, but you have to shop around. EMS had great prices on popular Hitec gear. Robart was running a 15% off show special on their stuff, ZAP was 25% off. Balsa USA was offering free shipping on orders placed at the show.

All in all, it was about the same as last year, minus the boat pond. There is plenty more space to use so I hope they get aggressive about getting some more exhibitors in for next year. Considering it's the ONLY rc hobby show in the Northeast, I hope they push harder and network more. They have some major player in attendance, so they should work off that and get more of the small guys in. Some of the vendors had shipping issues, DA's booth was MIA until the early afternoon. I got a chance to look at the new DA35 and the prorotype four stroke - really nice stuff.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Feb 22, 2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
I'm getting ready
Old Feb 24, 2014, 02:59 AM
Team RedWing RC
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Aug 2013
441 Posts
I went on Saturday, picked up a really nice Slipstream MX2 from the swap shop. It was priced at $225, but I got it for $175! I'm in the process of converting it to electric. For anyone who was there on Sat. it was the one on the far right side next to another giant-scale 3D plane (redbull Sukhoi). On the bus ride back to Albany, I put the fuselage under the bus where luggage usually goes, and the wings in the overhead compartment. I also got a mini Pitts biplane that I converted to brushless. The static display was amazing! For my first time ever going, I'd give it an A+, but I heard last year was better.
I didn't want to upload all the pictures I took twice, so click on this link, I took about 20 pictures. post # 113:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2098146&page=8
RG916170 is online now Find More Posts by RG916170
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:36 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Township
Joined Aug 2009
147 Posts
I thought the show was horrible, it had less vendors than the previous two years. I doubt I will be going next year, I get better deals on line than what I found at the WRAM show.
rlbomber is offline Find More Posts by rlbomber
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
Well buddy. I did see dx9 for 350. Online 399. I found a habu 2 for 189 bnf. 269 online. Blade 300x for 249. Splendora I got sells for 249 now. I got it for 200.... a few gassers were discounted too. I mean. There was a lot of good planes discounted. Got a he h9 carden extra 300 for 575. Price for 625 online I think. And I got the splendor too.. almost hit the habu 2 but my wife gave the I'll kill you right now look. And had to back off :₩
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,794 Posts
And I did see a goblin 700 for 600 bucks. That's a 200 off right there
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:33 PM
connflyer
ct
Joined Aug 2008
3 Posts
It wasn't what I thought it would be. A hadn't been to the new venue (Meadowlands) and I went on Friday, the first day. I was bummed to find out that Hobby King wasn't there the night before and almost didn't go. I didn't see any real deals.
Yeah free shipping on some order placed there and there were some deals here and there but you had to search for them........and dont forget I paid $24 to get in (Me and my girlfriend).
I immediately Noticed that the boat pond wasn't there and was replaced with a simulator kiosk. I'm not into boats but was looking forward to seeing some none the less. Tempt me to buy one! And I can sit at home and use my flight simulator for free.

The indoor flying area was soooooo small and even the one guy that was in there was having trouble confining his plane to the space. Why was it so small and so much unused space?

Bottom line: No Hobby King, No Nitro planes, no deals. The new location is further away from me (Im in CT).
Why did they even move it from where it was? Its a PITA to get there and after all, its the "WESTCHESTER Radio Aero Modelers" not the "Hudson Radio Aero Modelers", and not even in the same state! And they didn't even use the extra space!!!

I don't mean to rant but I was looking forward to going and felt let down. Im an intermediate flyer and loved going to this show in the past because it was inspiring to me. I was not inspired this last trip.

So some of you may tell me how I'm all wrong but I feel the need to express myself. And it took me this long to write down my thoughts because I don t what to be "that guy" that has nothing nice to say but I felt it needed to be said.
connflyer is offline Find More Posts by connflyer
Old Mar 06, 2014, 02:25 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,541 Posts
The pond wasn't there only because of weather , maybe some vendors were not there for the same reason. (depending on their geo. location )

Not that I had any impact , but I didn't go due to weather . Those who know me , know I'm not squeamish about weather .
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:46 AM
Design, Build, Crash?, Repeat
Monroe, CT
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Mixed Feelings

I went on Friday with my brother in law, and admittedly left with mixed feelings. We'd been going to the show in Westchester forever, and when I think back to the glory days in that venue - when the main floor and basement were completely full - the current state of affairs in our hobby makes me a bit sad. I suppose the internet has completely killed off the small vendors that filled the place six or seven years ago or so - not to mention the collapse of the economy.

Coming from upper Fairfield County CT, it's a long drive to the new location. The first year of the move (year before last), my brother in law simply didn't want to make the trip. What I found seemed to be a sign of the times - even fewer vendors than the year before. I decided not to go back last year, but this year got the itch - and I hoped that the (tepid) economic recovery would bring out more vendors. This time around, I think there were fewer than two years ago. Nitroplanes was sorely missed. There were a fair number of "unknown" vendors with general merchandise - which is good. I thought that this year would be the year of the quadcopter - but was wrong. It was the year of the micro/mini BNF planes. Lots of fixed wing, few helis, quads not really prominent - although they were there, if not in very great variety.

Where were the FPV vendors? No one selling any Walkera products like their quad line, Devo radios, of FPV transmitters like the F7. I would have bought one in a heartbeat if the price was right. Why no independent vendors selling any of the huge number of multicopter frame kits out of Asia. A missed opportunity in my opinion. You only need to have a look at ebay to see where the demand is, and what's really available out there. The show had the mainline vendors, but I think the innovation can be seen from the Asian vendors whose merch is seen on ebay or banggood. It would have been great to see recognizable stuff, and be able to just buy it on a whim. Boscam FPV gear, Fatshark goggles, Walkera FPV radios w/screen and goggles, Asian RTF quads that have GPS, etc.

Anyway, I think that segment of the hobby completely passed the WRAM show by. I guess there's no profit to be made by going down that road, when the guys can just buy the stuff anytime online. There's certainly going to be an ongoing tension between the big US vendors and the Chinese online vendors. The Chinese stuff will never make it into a hobby shop, and no longer makes it to WRAM. What US company sells a 7 channel radio with a built-in video receiver and Screen for FPV, and a matched pair of FPV goggles - at any price?

I'll go back next year, but keep hoping that things will improve. I hope it's not an impossible dream...
Chris_K is offline Find More Posts by Chris_K
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:48 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,858 Posts
Longer drive for you, but shorter and much easier drive for those of us from NJ (especially South Jersey) and eastern PA. No need to go near that miserable NYC area traffic.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:55 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,813 Posts
There were plenty of deals to be had, maybe just not on everything everybody wanted. I saved $100 on the retracts for a new project, bought the servos I needed at great prices - no tax or shipping either, picked up some stuff from the swap shop for a song and made my annual adhesive and balsa purchases. Also got to meet a few of the vendors that I buy from. There are definitely some absences that were noticed after the move from Westchester, but I think they'll fill in eventually.

Having organized small events, I can tell you the amount of work and effort that goes into making it happen is tremendous. I think the WRAMs deserve an "atta boy" and our support for continuing to host the show and doing a good job of it. Weather fought them every step of the way this year. If you want the show to be better - attend and maybe help promote it. BPMing about Hobby King not being there, especially since they've never been there, isn't going to help make the show better.

...not like there's another in the Northeast
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:02 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
There were plenty of deals to be had, maybe just not on everything everybody wanted. I saved $100 on the retracts for a new project, bought the servos I needed at great prices - no tax or shipping either, picked up some stuff from the swap shop for a song and made my annual adhesive and balsa purchases. Also got to meet a few of the vendors that I buy from. There are definitely some absences that were noticed after the move from Westchester, but I think they'll fill in eventually.

Having organized small events, I can tell you the amount of work and effort that goes into making it happen is tremendous. I think the WRAMs deserve an "atta boy" and our support for continuing to host the show and doing a good job of it. Weather fought them every step of the way this year. If you want the show to be better - attend and maybe help promote it. BPMing about Hobby King not being there, especially since they've never been there, isn't going to help make the show better.

...not like there's another in the Northeast
Well said and to add to it, let me share this.

It is even more impressive once people realize that this show is hosted by a RC flying club, the Westchester Radio Aero Modelers, and not some big company.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato