HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
RC Plane vs Helicopter vs Car?

This is my first thread ever so here we go. I have always wanted a hobby grade rc something. I would like at least 1 of each but I have to start with 1 for now. With a $200 plus/minus spending limit, which one would be a good and fun start. Only experience I have with cars is those cheap Walmart ones from when I was little. I have no experience with planes and a little experience with the SYMA S107. With that said, would my money go farther in planes, helis, or cars?
Steelers is offline Find More Posts by Steelers
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
thats actually kinda hard to say. A few years ago I would say cars hands down, but hobby grade full control Helicopters and planes with everything ready to go out of the box can be had in that price range now. It is a lot easier to destroy a flying machine than a driving machine though, if you don't know what you are doing. I guess it depends on what you are most interested in playing with and tinkering with.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Yea, would say I don't know what i'm doing on the whole flying rc side, other than a little s107. Makes sense that, although cars might not be the cheapest, they are more durable and I wont crash it to the extent of a heli or airplane. So, going the car route, if I wanted a fast road car, what would be a good option for around $200?
Steelers is offline Find More Posts by Steelers
Old Oct 17, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
do you already have a radio and charger and batteries and stuff?
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 20, 2013, 09:16 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,411 Posts
If you're going to be nailed to a relatively firm budget, then planes may end up being cheapest in the long run (and probably up front as well). You can crash a foamie and glue it back together for practically nothing, whereas a car or heli will require you to buy replacement parts.

I started out with helis, ended up pouring several hundred bucks into a cheap beginner model (heli was only $100 or so), eventually bought a more advanced bird, and ended up shelving them both in favor of planes since fixed-wing flight is simply far more affordable. I also bought a small electric truck for grins once, only to discover that brittle plastic moving at ludicrous speeds tends to break quite easily. Replaced some parts, added some aluminum upgrades, kept breaking the thing. It's now been sitting damaged and undriven for about five years because, when given the choice, I always end up picking longer-lived equipment for planes over consumable car parts.

With that said, planes generally offer the lowest convenience. You can ram a car around the yard or street whenever it strikes your fancy, but flying a plane will require at least some large open space to fly in. Weather is also a factor.

I think one of the other big concerns is the learning curve. Anybody can pick up a car transmitter and drive the thing. Planes require some time and effort to get the hang of. Helis can be nightmares, though that's changed quite a bit in recent years. In any case, if you're just looking for a more advanced RC toy rather than a full-bodied hobby, a car is probably your best/only option.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
338 Posts
You can probably get started in any direction, cars, helis, or planes. There are good starter options in each category. You need to decide how best to spend your bucks, do you have a place to fly outside?

A good starter plane that is RTF out of box is the Hobbyzone Champ, cheap, slow flyer, downside it does not fly well in wind. $89

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

A good starter RC Car is the Traxxas Rustler, this is ready to run out of the box. Great parts support and TONS of upgrade potential ~$200 with coupon.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad48.html

Good starter helicopter, can be flown indoors is the Blade mCX2 for $99.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...2-rtf-EFLH2400

These are all great RC products with great parts support. You should consider that getting started is just that, anything you fly/drive will need batteries, parts, upgrades, etc. So the entry price is just the start. Also consider that as you learn and progress you will want to have bigger/faster/more capable stuff and the price tag goes up with it
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05