HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Yes, thanks for the pics. When I was talking to Mike, he said they would be looking into strengthening the tail surfaces. I wonder if they have come up with anything.
I haven`t put my new one together yet either (probably cause it`s flying weather not building weather LOL)
We talked about the tail wires as well but I like the nice clean look without them.
My buddy offered to put carbon spars in the horizontal stab for me. That sounds like a good idea, super strong and nice and clean.
Fourstar 64 is offline Find More Posts by Fourstar 64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:55 PM
United States, AR, Horseshoe Bend
Joined Apr 2013
24 Posts
hey 3D.....................got a set of 40 decals, haven't been on here in awhile so just saw your post.

let me know if you found any.

kurt
kurtm is offline Find More Posts by kurtm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:42 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,956 Posts
Brilliant kit bash idea

I've been agonizing over what airplane to get to polish my aerobatic skills. Short story is,...... I woke up this morning with a brilliant idea. I have two Sig models that I simply love,.. both severely bashed, an TL25, and LT40, see my web page link below. I love bashing kits, especially ARFs. I really wanted something "more exciting" I just about jumped on a Sig Something Extra, but instead, I just bought a Sig 4 Star 54. Here's my grandiose idea...... and other plans for this model.

1. I will raise the wing on the fuselage about 1" (guessing right now) until I see the plans or 3-views. That's the biggy. >> Does it come with plans? I'd be willing to bet it does not.<< It will give the model a MUCH better look. I'm not a real fan of low winged models. My modification will greatly improve the looks of the model, in my opinion. First thing that comes to mind - "You are going to ruin the airflow over the stab.". No.... not that high. I think ~1" will totally change the looks of the model while still allow great flying abilities. I often go by "TLAR". I will maintain the same wing incidence of course. Other mods will be,....
2. Stripping off all coverings
3. Add turbulators to the wing LE.
4. Examine and strengthen the stab. structure, maybe just tail support wires due to failure reports.
5. Replace tail wheel assay,... I don't like the tiller bar arrangement even though I'm sure it works good.
6. I will add a spinner,.. gees the model pis I've seen just beg for a spinner.
7. Moving the wing up will allow me to give better support to the landing gear mount structure whether it needs it or not.

Yes, it will be a lot of work. And I'm probably a little crazy, but I love to build, it's my hobby. The advantage of an ARF to me is a guick basic build that I can improve upon,.. not to mention going over the model to inspect glue joints and covering it in the colors >I< want.

That's it,..... so far.

The model is ordered, so I will be starting a discussion thread immediately, which will change to a Bash Thread when I start it. I will post a link here.

Fred Guilfoyle
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Jul 25, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:54 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,956 Posts
Link to Discussion Thread,... soon to be Bash Thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2213214
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:05 PM
United States, OH, Grove City
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
why don't you just get a sig something extra from sig it comes in arf from and look just like what you rendered
Amostafa is online now Find More Posts by Amostafa
Old Jul 25, 2014, 05:16 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,956 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but no, it is not like a Something Extra. I considered that model at one time. For one thing look at the airfoils, another look at the tail moments and ws/chord, relationship, two totally different models. And you must have missed the point where I related that I enjoy bashing Kits or ARFs into what >I< like. It's what I like to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Jul 25, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
I was just giving you some ideas that might fit just as well. Not in anyway discouraging your choice good luck and have a great build i look forward to the results.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:20 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,956 Posts
I seriously looked at the Something Extra, but I could see myself crashing it very easily. The 4Stars look s a little tamer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
I have both a sig something extra and a the star the both fly great but your right the longer moment arm and the airfoil make it an easier flyer. I fell symmetrical airfoil makes for a better flyer in all conditions inverted and upright it also provides better tracking.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:41 PM
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Apr 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_flying_chad View Post
I added trail brace wires just like Mike Gretz suggested if I still had concerns. I have flown the new 4 Star 64 three times and no issues yet. With the elevator servo in the tail and the brace wires, the plane balances at about 3 3/4" from the leading edge. I have a Magnum XL91 four stroke in the nose.
Hi, is your 4 Star 64 still flying good with those tail braces. I have not had a chance to build my new one.
lfd47 is offline Find More Posts by lfd47
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:10 PM
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,956 Posts
Amostafa, the Something Extra is going to be my next step in aerobatics after the 4Star. It looks like a great model.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:28 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2013
42 Posts
What servo torque amounts are recommended for the 64? Are metal gear servos required for this airframe or will karbonite work?
wjexallen is offline Find More Posts by wjexallen
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:43 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,622 Posts
Standard servos, so if you have Karbonite then it is more than plenty
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Last edited by Dad_Roman; Aug 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:12 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Roman View Post
Standard servos, so if you have Karbonite then it is more than plenty
Thank you for the speedy reply.

Regards, Wm.
wjexallen is offline Find More Posts by wjexallen
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:23 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,622 Posts
Here is a quote from the IM....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Instrution Manual on 4*64
RADIO SYSTEM
The Four Star 64 EG requires a standard 4-channel radio system
and four to five standard size servos (number of servos depends
on whether you are using glow or electric power)
. In addition,
you'll need two 12"- 24 long Servo Extension Chords (actual
length needed will depend on how long the wires are coming off
your servos plan accordingly), and one Y-Harness Chord for
connection of the two aileron servos to the receiver.
Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman