HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, CT, Plainville
Joined Aug 2012
137 Posts
Discussion
Aileron/Rudder mix in Trainer

I was considering this on my Tower 40 trainer. Mine seems to be a bear to handle. I found this article about mixing Aile/Rudd and it makes sense to do it.
http://www.rcflightschool.com/Basic_...lo_0B16-25.pdf
Has anyone tried it? What was their experience?
jsf135pal1 is offline Find More Posts by jsf135pal1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:48 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,774 Posts
I have been teaching folks to fly RC all summer long for 17 years now. I am also an aerospace engineer, A&P mechanic and a mulit engine full scale pilot.

Folks in the hobby make waaayy too much fuss about what is and what isn't a coordinated turn and how to fly one.

In all the years I've flown RC I've only seen ONE rc model that actually had noticable adverse yaw that absolutely needed rudder to get a smooth turn.

So, first what do you mean by "...a bear to handle."? You aren't really discribing what sort of problem you are having. Without knowing the problem, mixing rudder may cause more problems.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
I'm in the process right now of learning to use the rudder with my left thumb. I always fly taildraggers and don't have any problems with ground handling but have'nt got use to using rudder much while flying. Past few times out I have been using rudder to make coordinated turns and cross stick with ailerons and flying has really improved. Flat circles and figure 8's are sooo much fun and slipping in for landings are a hoot.

Your plane will appear to fly better with a little mixing or you can just do it with your fingers. The best part is, it's your choice!

Scotty
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2008
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majortomski View Post
I have been teaching folks to fly RC all summer long for 17 years now. I am also an aerospace engineer, A&P mechanic and a mulit engine full scale pilot.

Folks in the hobby make waaayy too much fuss about what is and what isn't a coordinated turn and how to fly one.

In all the years I've flown RC I've only seen ONE rc model that actually had noticable adverse yaw that absolutely needed rudder to get a smooth turn.

So, first what do you mean by "...a bear to handle."? You aren't really discribing what sort of problem you are having. Without knowing the problem, mixing rudder may cause more problems.
I had a Kadet Sr. that was also a bear at slow speeds. A newbie would not have enjoyed it without mixing a little rudder to make it more manageable. The thumbs/skills can come later. It would get sideways from the adverse yaw when turning final.

32 years flying, aerospace engineer, Air Force pilot, Air Force instructor pilot, multi-engine pilot, business owner,,.....bla bla bla - toot. toot. toot. WE DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Last edited by kbozarth; Oct 27, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
Ya know, if you have a computer radio then sure, set it up at like 10-15% mix and see how you like it......if you don't then you can always take the mix out. I may do it tomorrow just for sh=ts and giggles....

my initial reaction when you say the plane is a bear to handle was oh, are you sure the cg is correct or even slightly nose heay? If ur a little tail heavy it will be twitchy, especially at slower speeds. Has the plane been trimmed for straight level flight at 1/2 throttle?
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:12 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
99 Posts
I bought the "One Week to Solo" RC flight school book, read it through, and set up my 4 channel trainer with aileron and rudder mixed 100% from the first flight on. Works great for me. FWIW, I still have the ability to use rudder only on the left stick.
os2 is offline Find More Posts by os2
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,192 Posts
If you were my student I wouldn't want you to use any mixes or expo...Learn to fly with your thumbs first....you'll be a better pilot for it....tell us about the bear to handel part...seems that if you have a trainer there is something wrong with the plane or it's set up
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2008
182 Posts
If you were my student, I would add expo and mixes to correct for design deficiencies. Relying on "you get what you get" set-ups can prevent you from focusing on leaning to simply fly. Much more fun with a docile set-up.

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
hell na don't mix it. it's a trainer so get training on how to correct for it lol

tower trainers are rather lightweight. if it was built correctly it wont be a "bear" to handle.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:08 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
From what I'm reading, 1st an for most in a turn if the nose pitchs up use the rudder to keep the nose level.
Some aircraft are worse than others kicking their nose up.
The term for this is adverse yaw. Many times this can be corrected by more up on 1 ail than down on the other. Cubs an telemasters are the worse.
While mixing can help, it can never be as accurate.
The very best way to learn rudder is to start doing verticals.
After solo ing so many pilots quit learning.
I believe one or two flights should always be a pratice flight.
After solo I beleive a person should start working on their verticals, followed by inveted flight.
I have an a few aerobatic airplanes that while learning knife edge flight, it really helped me in my cordinated turns with model high wing passenger planes
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,774 Posts
Anyone else notice the OP hasn't been back?
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, OH, Avon
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
From what I'm reading, 1st an for most in a turn if the nose pitchs up use the rudder to keep the nose level.
Some aircraft are worse than others kicking their nose up.
The term for this is adverse yaw. Many times this can be corrected by more up on 1 ail than down on the other. Cubs an telemasters are the worse.
While mixing can help, it can never be as accurate.
The very best way to learn rudder is to start doing verticals.
After solo ing so many pilots quit learning.
I believe one or two flights should always be a pratice flight.
After solo I beleive a person should start working on their verticals, followed by inveted flight.
I have an a few aerobatic airplanes that while learning knife edge flight, it really helped me in my cordinated turns with model high wing passenger planes
What do you mean by verticals? Dont wanna sound dumb or anything but just curious if its something i know and just dont know the correct term..

I am also having problems with my turns..Flying a Escapade 60 and the nose pitches down through my turns..
stevolution is offline Find More Posts by stevolution
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,192 Posts
the nose is going to pitch down in turns...when you start a turn you're banking...you bank by rasing the aileron on the low wing killing a bit of lift, you counter this loss of lift in a turn by a little up elevator
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,314 Posts
I experimented a bit with mixes, but in the end I don't think it was helpful.

I kind if got to the point where I use rudder and aileron constantly, without thinking about it.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD