HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
BTW, CONGRATS!
Thank you Parky, I do appreciate your input on this project.

Quote:
it was hard to tell how vertical it was in the photos/video, it seemed less steep,

Hi Frank,
With the wind blowing 15 to 18 the X-2 weather vaned a little after leaving the rail. As long as it was pointed at the sky, I wasn’t going to mess with it during boost on the first flight. The final climb angle looked more like 45 degrees. You can see a good photo of that here on the Australian rocketry website.
http://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/vie...3923&start=120
They have some very nice coverage of the entire event on that forum.

X30
X30PILOT is offline Find More Posts by X30PILOT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2013, 03:56 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,873 Posts
Late to the party but ...
BRAVO!
Congratulations X30,this has been a fantastic tale.
All the best
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Oct 30, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations X30
Thanks
Jay.

Immediately following my return from Blackrock, I had a lot of catching up to do at work. I have not had much time to devote to this thread. Now that the dust has settled, I can share some more stuff on the X-2. Here’s a nice video edited by Tony Huet. It has some great stills including a very well done sequence of the flight using pictures from a number of photographers. Tony then put together an entire video sequence of the flight, again using several sources. You’ll enjoy what he has done.

X30

Complete X-2 flight at Balls 22. Blackrock NV. September 21 2013 (4 min 57 sec)
Old Oct 31, 2013, 05:54 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
Outstanding! Never get tired of seeing this flight. Are you prepping for another soon?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 01, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
Are you prepping for another soon?

I’m just now starting to clean it up after Balls. It was looking like I’d have a nice undisturbed hunk of the playa to land in, but it didn’t work out the way. I need to pull the nose gear and make some improvements to the nose gear fork assembly to accommodate uneven LZs. I also need to make some minor repairs to the aft bullhead as the tracking grain fried it. Jim Harris of Gorilla motors talked to me about making a new forward closure that wouldn’t require the tracking grain.
I am planning on flying it at Balls and maybe LDRS next year. The X-2 does require a nice place to land, something most of the launch sites around here do not have.

X30
Old Nov 02, 2013, 10:40 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,838 Posts
You could always be welcome to fly it at the SEVRA site. The club launches every other weekend at Naval Auxiliary Landing Field (NALF) Fentress, an active Navy practice runway. Both NAR & TRA clubs use this site. Great flying day today!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
You could always be welcome to fly it at the SEVRA site.
That looks like a great place to fly! Have you ever considered hosting an NSL or LDRS there?

X30
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:23 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Aug 2013
23 Posts
Awesome flight! I might use this as an inspiration to start a project I've wanted to do for a while, a rocket-powered Rutan Long-EZ. (Rocket-EZ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
I’m just now starting to clean it up after Balls. It was looking like I’d have a nice undisturbed hunk of the playa to land in, but it didn’t work out the way. I need to pull the nose gear and make some improvements to the nose gear fork assembly to accommodate uneven LZs. I also need to make some minor repairs to the aft bullhead as the tracking grain fried it. Jim Harris of Gorilla motors talked to me about making a new forward closure that wouldn’t require the tracking grain.
I am planning on flying it at Balls and maybe LDRS next year. The X-2 does require a nice place to land, something most of the launch sites around here do not have.

X30
If the alternate closure doesn't work out, you could inhibit the tracking grain with a nice thick coating of grease. I haven't flown reloads that large, so I'm not sure how well it scales up, but it works well on E-I reloads that I've worked with.
Goozeman is offline Find More Posts by Goozeman
Old Nov 08, 2013, 07:14 AM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
That was a nice flight and great build. Congrats.
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Now that I finally have a little free time I’ll thought I would post some of the details of the X-2, what worked well and what needs improvement. Right now the X-2 is on display at RC Hobbies in Richardson Texas. The first issue is getting rid of the tracking grain. While this has not been an issue in my other R/Gs, the grain in the Gorilla motor is a large slug, the same diameter as the propellant. This produces dense tracking smoke for about 30 seconds. Considering the long burn time of the motor, I don’t believe that simply coating the end of the grain with grease is going to resolve the problem that I had with the tracking grain frying the back of the X-2.
Right now my wife is very pleased that our dinning room table hasn’t had any models on it since just before Thanksgiving.

X30
Old Jan 02, 2014, 06:47 PM
Blackfly
Joined Nov 2008
58 Posts
Fantastic build, thread & flight. I'm a TRA L2 up in Canada, and have incredible respect for this awesome project.

Get in touch with Bob Pouliete at Cessaroni(pro38.com) motors, he can likely help you with your tracking grain issues.

Blue skies!

PT
Blackfly is offline Find More Posts by Blackfly
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
Get in touch with Bob Pouliete at Cessaroni(pro38.com) motors, he can likely help you with your tracking grain issues.
I'll do that, thanks for the tip.
Motor selection for the X-2 was challenging. I needed a motor that would get me cleanly off the pad but not accelerate the X-2 to destruction. I also wanted to get it high enough to have time to trim it out and not so high that I’d lose sight of it. I have found that dual thrust or regressive motors work best for R/Gs. Complicating the issue is that I had a very narrow C/G range to work in. A larger motor needed more nose weight, all of this added to the challenges of sorting through the simulation data.

X30
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Here are the X-2 model facts, specifications and contributions.

Design work started on November 2011.
Construction started in March 2012.
First flight on September 21, 2013
Telemetry recorded 181 mph TAS. 1142 ft. AGL.

Length: ………………………………………………97 inches
Wingspan…………………………………………....85 inches
Weight without rocket motor and ballast………. 35.8 pounds
Launch weight…………………………………..…46.0 pounds
Propellant weight……………………………… …..3.1 pounds
Power plant ………………………Gorilla Rocket Motor K470
Loaded Motor weight …………………..………….5.2 pounds
Thrust Duration………………………….…….….5.3 seconds
Maximum thrust……………………..………….....225 pounds
Total impulse…………………………..……………2450.0 NS

Primary Structure
Balsa, Plywood spruce and foam.

Additional materials
Fiberglass and Carbon fiber

Built and flown by………………………………………………...….Dave Schaefer
Chief design engineer……………………………………………...…….Mike Oser
Nosecone, landing gear, launch pad, Nose art, and Tech support…Ken Overton
Foam wing and Tail cores……… Charles Schafer, Woody Woods and Ed Nogar
Paint techniques and stencils……………………………………...…Terry Farmer
Canopy form…………………………………………………………….Doug Sams
Pit crew……...……Ken Overton, Tony Huet, Michael Smart and Robert Turner
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:56 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,527 Posts
I need to wander in here more often...

All I can say is ...magnificent! I knew you would pull it off in style and you did.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
442 Posts
Quote:
All I can say is ...magnificent!
Thank you Tom.
OK, now for things that worked well and some that could have been better.
I’ll start with the Guardian. This amazing little device worked very well and opens up some interesting possibilities for rocket gliders.
The huge issue I ran unto was it went nuts when I tried programing it hooked up to my AR9110 PowerSafe receiver.
It took me 3 days to figure out I could program it on one of my other non-PowerSafe receivers, then plug it back into the AR9110 to make it work.

X30