HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Want to build my first tank, electric questions

Hi!

I am looking into building my own little r/c tank. For the "physical" part (tracks, body, etc...) I should be fine with that, my problem is with the electrical part.

I think that the basic setup to get the tank moving (let's forget about the turret) would look like
1 controller, 1 receiver, 2 esc (one per track so they can be independant), 2 motors and 2 batteries (one for each motor).
First am I wrong with this setup?

Second, I've been told (for what it's worth), that an easy option for the motors and the batteries, would be to take battery powered drill and unmount them. This would provide motors, 18v 1.3A battery and charger for around 50$. So for 100$ I would be done with the motors, batteries, chargers. Would this be a good idea or my motors would be too weak?

Third, for the ESCs, I checked on hobbyking.com and with all the numbers they provide, I can't seem to understand really if they could fit on my drill motor setup. They seem to have specific battery requirement and do I really need a 80A ESC for my 1.3A battery?

Fourth, I've been looking at hoobyking.com for motors in case I decide (or you tell me) that going with electric drill motors is not good enough. I saw this motor and this ESC. Would this be a good setup with a pair of this battery pack?

Sorry for the "noobish" questions, I have some knowldge in electronis, how to assemble basic circuits, light some LEDS, turn some 12v engine with a 12 volt battery, using switches/relay/transisors but adding the receiver/esc thing into the mix, just mixes me up haha.

Thanks in advance for helping me or pointing me in the right direction or telling me that I am completely stupid etc...
draftstone is offline Find More Posts by draftstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:31 AM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
What Scale or size are you thinking draftstone

A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
I think if you're not wanting a tank (keeping in mind the "let's forget about the turret" comment) but a RC tracked vehicle and since the budget seems small, I would just start out with a HL tank, disassemble it and transform it into whatever it is that you are thinking of.

From it you can use all the electronics, the battery/charger, the radio, the tracks and basically not start out from scratch but modify it along the way.

JAT

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F