HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:48 PM
United States, MA, Newburyport
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Question
Cox Sky Cruiser Battery Error

Just got this plane and flew it a couple times. Flew until battery was depleted each time. Now when I go to charge the battery (LiPo 2S 7.4V 250mAh) I get a battery error. I have used it no more than 3 times. Charger LEDS both blink and beeps.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Doug
dugmar is offline Find More Posts by dugmar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,257 Posts
Flying until a Lipo is 'depleted', is a good way to ruin them.

By 'depleted', I take it you mean that the speed controller cut the motor, but you still had radio control. It's called flying until the LVC, (Low Voltage Cutout), triggers.

Not a good way to fly, much better to do timed flights and land before it gets that low, (if you want Lipos to last).

Once a Lipo has been below a set voltage, it's chemistry is damaged and basically cannot be recovered, or if it does take a charge, it's unlikely to last much longer.

Sorry.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
United States, MA, Newburyport
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Flying until a Lipo is 'depleted', is a good way to ruin them.

By 'depleted', I take it you mean that the speed controller cut the motor, but you still had radio control. It's called flying until the LVC, (Low Voltage Cutout), triggers.

Not a good way to fly, much better to do timed flights and land before it gets that low, (if you want Lipos to last).

Once a Lipo has been below a set voltage, it's chemistry is damaged and basically cannot be recovered, or if it does take a charge, it's unlikely to last much longer.

Sorry.
No problem. Lesson learned. I can just order another for $16 or so. Thank you!

I am old skool. My most recent RC history was dominated by AM radio and Nicads. Learning the new stuff quite rapidly.

Doug
dugmar is offline Find More Posts by dugmar
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:43 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,411 Posts
Don't pay sixteen bucks for a single lipo that small This pack is a little bigger and heavier. It'll increase flight times at the expense of some floatiness, but it's only like three bucks. You could get a bunch and still come out under $16, even with shipping... Of course, overseas lipo shipping is notoriously slow, so you might have to be patient.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀