HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:53 PM
Onto The Next Project!
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Thanks. I ordered the HiTec servo grease from Servo City for $11 incl. shipping.
TobyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TobyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:17 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,887 Posts
I know it is expensive and I can never find it at trade shows. If your going to do it right, you might as well do it the first time.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:52 PM
United States, MI, Southfield
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
[QUOTE=TobyFlies;27687350]Hiya fellas -
Anybody else that has changed out your retracts/trunnions run into this issue?
./QUOTE]

I found a thin piece of flat metal wire and glued (contact cement from the face fo the metal trunnion to the plastic sleeve - forming a "bridge". This allows the metal rod/strut and wheels to rotate and the number plate still faces forwad. Note: I have not flown the plane yet, so I cant report of durability but its very sturdy!

Hope this helps.

Tony

Tony E is offline Find More Posts by Tony E
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhood View Post
Have any of you found a source for the clear lenses for the wing lights? Thanks.
Here you go.......http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=3209

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:45 AM
United States, MN, Odin
Joined Aug 2010
309 Posts
Thanks LURCH! I just ordered some.
Redhood is online now Find More Posts by Redhood
Old Mar 05, 2014, 11:24 AM
Onto The Next Project!
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
I found a thin piece of flat metal wire and glued (contact cement from the face fo the metal trunnion to the plastic sleeve - forming a "bridge". This allows the metal rod/strut and wheels to rotate and the number plate still faces forwad. Note: I have not flown the plane yet, so I cant report of durability but its very sturdy!

Hope this helps.

Tony
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking except using a small clamp instead of glue. I'm going to bring the LG to my local industrial hardware store and see if they have anything I can use, otherwise, I will just do the glue trick.

Thanks!
Old Mar 05, 2014, 11:44 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
4,887 Posts
How bout a small zip tie glued on to the flat metal wire for insurance? You could easily undo it if need be. Or a small rubber O ring to slip over it. The O ring might move on you though.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
I like the small o-ring idea with a dab of glue to keep it in place. I used Weller contact cement which is suppose to be permanent. So far that stuff has been great. I tried CA but it didnt hold well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
How bout a small zip tie glued on to the flat metal wire for insurance? You could easily undo it if need be. Or a small rubber O ring to slip over it. The O ring might move on you though.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 01:17 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
4,887 Posts
The CA won't hold rubber, but some of the snot glue included in the Durafly kits might be enough. Use the Weller as you mentioned. The O ring method might let you line it up before you glue it down.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:35 PM
Onto The Next Project!
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
I visited Marshall's Industrial Hardware today. An awesome place, a bit expensive but they have everything and it's where I usually find the weird, small hardware and tools for random mods.

They had some nylon clamps that should work. I have some stock aluminum that I will cut similar to how Tony did his and then tack some of this Devcon glue to hold it in place. Should do the trick. I may paint it black too to be less conspicuous. I will post a photo of the finished product.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions!
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:50 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
4,887 Posts
Yeah those nylon clamps. Perfect.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
looking forward to pics later. I upgraded my wheels to those used on the PZ Corsair and getting them fitted in correctly was enough....didnt want ot add anything else that I would need to remove foam for.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:23 PM
Onto The Next Project!
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Yep, I have the same wheels and that's how I fried the stock retract in the first place when I was testing to see if I had grinded out enough foam to clear the bigger wheels... Apparently I didn't have enough removed!
Old Mar 09, 2014, 11:53 AM
Onto The Next Project!
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Will I ever get this plane up in the air??

OK, so last night I did the mod for the number plates and that turned out well, however, I observed some warpage on the left landing gear (axle doesn't come to a perfect 90 deg and the strut appears to be bent back, toward the tail). So,... I should have bit the bullet and removed the strut from the retract and put it in the vice and properly straighten it out. Instead, since I already had everything together, I put the axle in my vice jig and took a pliers to the gear to straighten it out. That resulted in the push pin falling out. I realized I may have opened the hole too much by twisting on the gear which resulted in the pin falling out. Now it won't stay in. Result, I need a new left landing gear.

Anybody have one they want to get rid of? If so, let me know and we can pm the details. Otherwise, I think my only option is to get the stock LG is to order two new ones from HK and they're about $40 with 3-14 day shipping. Damn!
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:03 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
819 Posts
and people have told me the Retracts give no trouble LOL....

i know better... those retracts are for the bin simple as.

i'd reccomend you to just put in better retracts tobyflies,or do what i done put in fixed gear,you will never be able to enjoy the plane with those retracts,and even so why should they need to be modified even to metal trunions,it's just grief people don't need on a budget plane of this size to be messing with it.

i have had no luck at all with those retracts,i know others say they have,(lucky them) but on mine the elecs kept malfunctioning.....
one kept getting stuck,turned out i think it was the motor that was starting to fail and hadn't the power to move the retract.
flightpunch34 is online now Find More Posts by flightpunch34