Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Discussion
90mm 8s setup

Hi all experts,
After I bought some fans complete
I want to buy the motor separately and install it into a fan and balance
The fan, I'd appreciate it if you recommend a good Prop Balancer ,
I noticed that adapter It has no flat area at the end of the screw, So how can I release the fan in case I want to replace it
I would love for some tips,
So after searching on hk
I think I found what I was looking for
Motor,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28503
Fan,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=30632
Adapter,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=35875
spiner,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=35876
Thanks in advance
And sorry for my English
nati.
natiho2 is offline Find More Posts by natiho2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:07 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,352 Posts
I usually cut a slot at the end to take a large flat blade screwdriver to help with tightening and loosening.
A Dremel tool cutoff wheel or hack saw will do.
Don't forget you will need a shroud that can take this large motor.
The 90mm Changesun is a perfect fit.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Thank you 4stripes
Sounds great, I'll try to cut a slot at the end,
By the way I've got some old lander metal shroud with four Stators and I'll have to adjust the fan,
What prop balancer do you recommend me
Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 04:33 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Quote:
I usually cut a slot at the end to take a large flat blade screwdriver to help with tightening and loosening.
A Dremel tool cutoff wheel or hack saw will do.
It also pays to have a correct size tap on hand to chase the threads after cutting a slot so the spinner screw doesn't gall the aluminum threads.
Potatos are cheap but the sour cream and chives ad up! $$$$$
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:48 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,352 Posts
I use an old Dubro prop balancer. Any shaft through the hub resting on two flat surfaces will do. The static balance of the fan is just the start. The fan must then be dynamically balanced on the motor and adapter (find the smoothest running position using the clock method). Then do the same with the spinner. Sometimes this will be good enough, but you may have to add a little weight inside the spinner if it doesn't run perfectly smooth.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Thank you very much 4stripes,
Now I'm trying to balance a 90mm fan dr m trust
I hope I can balance it, seems that the adapter is the tricky part
I also read your article on dynamic balance
Really helped me
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:24 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,352 Posts
You are welcome. I hope to make a few more EDF fliers find the fun without the hassle.
Be sure to run the fan in a safe mount when you are dynamically balancing with eye and ear protection. Even your fingers with thick leather gloves. Don't use more than low power until the fan is running smooth. One high speed run with bad balance can weaken the motor mount to the point where it will break free causing catastrophic failure.
Good luck!
Old Dec 06, 2014, 06:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Ok
So I tried to balance Fan(dr mad thrust 1400kv+12blade fan)
And after i added weight to the spiner the fan was in perfect balanced
First flight, everything was perfect, the second flight I heard a kind of fan noise and a few seconds later the fan exploded,
After I dismantled all seen the motor shaft bent
My question is what could cause this? Maybe because I added weight in spiner?
Thanks for any reply
nati.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 07:25 AM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
308 Posts
Did you use locktite? For shaft adapter, and cone srew.

If this is your first fan probably was not well balaced. 3kw of power is to much for a not properly balaced fan. To achieve this power the rpm reach aprox 40,000-50,000rpm.

Last night was balancing a hayoe 90mm 7 blade edf with plastic spinner. The plastic spinner comes terrible of balance and took a lot of eltric tape on the inside to almost balance it statically. THE CONE NEEDS TO BE A LITLE OUT OF BALANCE to cancel out any minor imbalance with motor and fan assemly. Mark the heavy side of cone and clock spinner in fan until find sweet spot. THAT YOU FIND THE SWEET SPOT does not mean you finished. Need to add more electric tape to the inside of spinner litle by litle to the heavy side to see if there is any improvement. Add until you wont notice any improvement and becomes worst. Remove the tape that makes everything worst.

If you are expert expect .5 to do all.

It takes a few hours to do it properly.

Be carefull if EDF explodes when balancing can do a lot of damage.

I like het motors quality and good price. Some times buying cheap is expensive! Recently got a used gas turbine and was a expensive firts experience that lasted a few gallons.

Cheers

Juan
juanjulian is online now Find More Posts by juanjulian
Old Dec 06, 2014, 07:57 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,352 Posts
Without seeing the fan and shroud it is pretty hard to diagnose the failure.
Did the adapter stay tight on the motor shaft or has it moved forward on the original position?
Was the spinner still intact on the impeller or did it come loose? Is it possible that you weakened one of the blades when trying to tighten the adapter nut? If a blade gets weakened, it will break off with causing such a huge imbalance that the motor shaft can bend. Is the motor mount broken? Did something get sucked into the fan?
The other possibility is the fan rotated on the adapter causing a huge imbalance. I usually make a sandpaper washer or use a star washer to lock the fan from rotating on the adapter.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjulian View Post
Did you use locktite? For shaft adapter, and cone srew.

If this is your first fan probably was not well balaced. 3kw of power is to much for a not properly balaced fan. To achieve this power the rpm reach aprox 40,000-50,000rpm.

Last night was balancing a hayoe 90mm 7 blade edf with plastic spinner. The plastic spinner comes terrible of balance and took a lot of eltric tape on the inside to almost balance it statically. THE CONE NEEDS TO BE A LITLE OUT OF BALANCE to cancel out any minor imbalance with motor and fan assemly. Mark the heavy side of cone and clock spinner in fan until find sweet spot. THAT YOU FIND THE SWEET SPOT does not mean you finished. Need to add more electric tape to the inside of spinner litle by litle to the heavy side to see if there is any improvement. Add until you wont notice any improvement and becomes worst. Remove the tape that makes everything worst.

If you are expert expect .5 to do all.

It takes a few hours to do it properly.

Be carefull if EDF explodes when balancing can do a lot of damage.

I like het motors quality and good price. Some times buying cheap is expensive! Recently got a used gas turbine and was a expensive firts experience that lasted a few gallons.

Cheers

Juan
yes, I use locktite on shaft adapter and cone srew.
how do you find the heavy side of the spiner?
nati.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:36 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
308 Posts
I have the topflite magnetic balancer.

Insert the cone in balancer assembly, the heavy side drops.

Add tape to upper part until it is almost statically balance but you still have a heavy side. Mark it on the outside to know which side it is. Use sharpie.

Also be carefull locktite makes some plastics brittle, so apply only to the metal parts and not the plastics,

cheers,

Juan
Old Dec 06, 2014, 01:09 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
The Difference Between Red, Blue, Green and Purple Threadlockers

http://us.henkel-adhesives-blog.com/...Threadlockers/
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 06, 2014, 01:38 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
308 Posts
My clock chart

Sorry for the sloppy chart.

Low, medium, high are throttle settings.

You put a check if feel low vibes, an x if fans vibrates.
Takes your precautions as four stripes says. Keep away from the front of fan and the side of spinning rotor. YOUR FAN SHOULD BE FIXED IN A TEST TABLE YOU NEED TO MAKE, NOT IN YOUR HANDS.

If fans runs bad from begging stop there and go to next station. Donīt try mid or high.

For clocking cone I do only 0,90,180, and 270. After determining the best I try 45 degrees to each side to see if there is a better setting. Donīt waste time with rotor. Find sweet spot of rotor and then fine tune with spinner.

Hoper this works.

Cheers

Juan
Old Dec 08, 2014, 03:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
146 Posts
Sorry about Delay,
When I removed the fan everything was connected and it seems to me that
the shaft adapter Not moved , the motor mount not broken
I did not notice the fan sucked something,
thanks