HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:53 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
SD, "Here, hopefully, is an incentive to finish one – or more – of those uncompleted models which most of us seem to have around the workshop. Surely it makes sense, after spending time and materials on a model to finish and fly it rather than have the part completed airframe gathering dust and taking up storage space?"

Very true.

However, I guess I may be considered a bit of a maverick.

I have a few small balsa models that are almost completed, but still "bare bones". I just like looking at the balsa structure with out the covering. In fact, I think I enjoy them more without the covering, just to see the structure. My first "laser cut" kit (maybe 15 years ago?) was a

StevensAero - G300 (G-Ride) Electric RC Airplane, Parkflyer

http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...Parkflyer.html

The "kit" was all sheet (light contest grade), no blocks, nothing other than the sheet materials. It was so perfectly cut that I could fit it all together (almost) without any glue. The parts were interlocking. I was amazed at how well thought out and engineered this kit was.

I like it just in the bare bones.

-The Tomtit still has to fly. It is ready to go.

-The Lancer is waiting to fly. Still all white (Sig dope) and no trim . Wet power has been replaced with electric.

-I've started a Guillows Skyhawk just to play with the small sticks and stringers and die crushed parts which actually really aren't all that bad.

- and I am building a BOT (Bird of Time) from a 30 year old kit that I've always liked. Figured I better start it as time is running out!

Plus many other models that I've lost the enthusiasm, or passion to finish, either because I can't decide on how I want to cover or finish them, or I feel that they may not be as good a flyer as I had originally hoped for.
So, something will definitely be finished this year.....
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:16 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
And I always thought of the Bird of Time as that "new" glider.
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:34 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
BOT is new early 1970's

Yes, newer, only 40 years old.
So, in say 1970, then going back 40 years would be 1930.....real old timers.

So now, the BOT is perhaps in the middle of the old timer "time scale", maybe even to the "left of middle"..

Lots of info here from other builders

http://www.lisfsoar.proboards.com/thread/103?page=1

The 108" wingspan of the Bird of Time Sailplane was designed by glider guru Dave Thornburg in the early 1970's for F3B competition, and the plane did quite well in overseas competition. In the original RCM construction article, Dave described the design evolution which led to the configuration first kitted by Mark's Models, which became Dynaflite several years ago. Dave designed the Bird of Time with a thin 9.5% airfoil for low drag in F3B speed and distance tasks, and paid particular attention to cleaning up the airframe to eliminate excess drag—still excellent design practice today, by the way! The distinctive pre-WWII "Wolf" German-style wing planform came about because Dave liked the looks, not for any theoretical reason. And the Bird of Time was designed with light extremities, light wing tip panels and tail surfaces to provide responsive handling at all speeds.

Build Log
LISF Bird of Time One Design Build Thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=bird+time
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:00 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
And the Bird of Time was designed with light extremities, light wing tip panels and tail surfaces to provide responsive handling at all speeds.
The wing shape works really well too! Never had any of the Thermics that didn't respond quickly to the rudder. (Never could afford the BOT )

Now Midwest on the other hand came out with a 9 foot straight, double tapered wing model called the "EZ Juan". Like the 747, you move the stick hard left 10 seconds before you need to start banking. I flew it with a TD .049, needless to say it had an efficient wing. Sure was hard to fly with that rudder response.

Nick
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:53 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Any pictures Nick?
I had a look at your Stampe SV4B. What a great little flyer.
Must have a really good pilot on board!
Flat spine, tumbles...nice.
John
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:51 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
Have I got pictures?
You must know by now....

I have a few captures from an 8mm film that showed a hand launch with an engine failure at about 20'.
First pic shows the TD 049 pretty well, full span shows on climbout, typical landing on the left wingtip while holding full right rudder!
(1977)

The bittystampe was cut out using the plans of the Precedent 1/4 scale Stampe kit, reduced to a 24" span by Staples.
The build thread is in the middle of the Scratch built foamies thread and the first post is near the bottom of this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...020909&page=84

The last two pics are of the 1/4 scale Stampe's nose (built from the plans that were reduced), taken today showing engine #3.
The Stampe was built in Feb. 1988 with an OS 120 FS with a 16/6 MAS. wore it out by 1990 and installed another OS 120.
By 1994 it was just barely getting off the ground so we got a Super Tigre 2000 (shown in pics) with an 18/6 that was real peppy but had to cut away a lot of the cowl.
We're looking for a Precedent kit to show up on Ebay and when we do, I'll be looking for a good gas engine that will fit in the cowl and turn an 18/6 around 8 or 9 thousand, maybe even put in a smoke system.
Needless to say, I got the Stampe fever again...

Nick
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:29 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Thanks Nick.
Yes, once you catch the fever, it's hard to break......LOL.
I'm still amazed that your little bipe fly's so well.
I once had a Quickie Bipe (all balsa sheet) with a ST .19 that flew really well. It didn't look very pretty, but it was a lot of fun; eventually gave it away.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 03:48 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
One of my favorite maxims is "if it flies good big it'll fly good little" so I made an exact scale model of the model.
The big one flew exactly like the little one, except that it took a good 4 turns to come out of a flat inverted spin.
So thinking ahead was a must (believe it on not, I never spun it into the ground)
Another odd trait was when in a flat spin, you could reverse the rudder (at full throttle only) and it would stop spinning but continue to fall flat. Chopping the throttle would drop the nose.

I found a nice cheap gasser at Tower, the DLE 20 for under $300 so I might be building another biggie next winter.

Nick
Old Mar 09, 2014, 04:06 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Latest news is that Colonel Blink's Ohm-8 has had it's first flights
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:06 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,912 Posts
I'm busy slowly moving into my workshop, which involves cleaning out the study. Amazing what you find. . .

I came across a Carl Goldberg Electra that I started building either in '95 or '96. I bought it at a closing down sale, basically as something to relax with during study breaks. I never really intended to fly it, but if it had been finished it would have gotten the radio and nicad from my rc buggy. Anyway, it has periodically moved towns with me, and had been forgotten for a while. So far, it seems the stab, elevator, fin and rudder are built. Once everything is settled, I will most likely finish it, as 19 years is probably long enough for anything to age properly.

I know its not an old timer, but would it fit into this build off?

Al
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:35 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Isn't the Electra the motorised Gentle Lady? I learnt to fly with a GL - luvverly plane!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:05 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,912 Posts
You're right Colonel, it certainly looks like a Gentle Lady with a prop! The photo on the box is of a black plane with gold trim which is what caught my eye back then. Kind of interesting to look at the electrics again- I remember being so impressed then, but I think a out runner with a small lipo would make a humongous difference. Going by the weight of the balsa, one could probably make it a little lighter as well.

Al
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:16 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
I'm busy slowly moving into my workshop, which involves cleaning out the study. Amazing what you find. . .

I came across a Carl Goldberg Electra that I started building either in '95 or '96. I bought it at a closing down sale, basically as something to relax with during study breaks. I never really intended to fly it, but if it had been finished it would have gotten the radio and nicad from my rc buggy. Anyway, it has periodically moved towns with me, and had been forgotten for a while. So far, it seems the stab, elevator, fin and rudder are built. Once everything is settled, I will most likely finish it, as 19 years is probably long enough for anything to age properly.

Al
Yes it would fit in fine Al - this particular build off was not specified as vintage models only, the aim is just to get as many part built models as possible finished! As a matter of fact my Can Can is not vintage, dating from the late sixties I think.

The Gentle Lady used to be a very popular model with my old club in the UK twenty years ago, and I think the electric version with modern motor, batteries and lightweight radio (most of ours back then had standard size servos and Rx) would be a really good model - and would fit in well with your developing thermal soaring ambitions. I'll post it as an entry. Don't forget to do a build log!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:00 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Guillows 172 Skyhawk, kit # 802

Well SD, better late than never....LOL

This is my Mar 2014
Build Log for the
The Guillows 172 Skyhawk, kit # 802

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127412

John
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:05 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
774 Posts
contest complete a project 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post

Al
i remember the electra, I put a 051 on the nose of mine, i had a friend with a gentle lady with a wing pod, they were great fliers. I'm glad we have a year to finish the builds, I keep getting stalled out with other ( more important?) things to do, but I knew it was coming, thats why i put so much time into it while the weather was bad best wishes sam
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555