HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Bummer!

I would prefer steel rods. BTW, what is the diameter of the carbon rods you were planning to use (an earlier post mentioned 4.9 mm)?
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,987 Posts
Ah, don't remember...they're from a 1.2m Speedo and WAY overkill with a pair on this Wanderer.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:26 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,987 Posts
So...the ply root rib idea worked...
But it was hard for the small part of me that's a perfectionist (admiTtedly biased towards function than form. Transferring holes 1/4" lower whilst maintaining alignment proved impossible, yet I got it within 1/32 using sharpened tubing in a drill...and made up the difference with microballons in epoxy.

I'm now done with glue-up, and 98% of sanding. Then figure out hinging (tape disgusts me, it sucks so bad). As it sits, a skeleton, we're at 405g and easily moved around by the tip near the polyhedral break, and single wing picked up fltly via thumb/finger at the trailing edge. I'm truly all-for modern foam planes, but if you want to love it; truly love it, and not bash-fly it as "disposible", then there's no substitute for balsa!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:46 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Nice! Way to go!!!
Diceman89 is online now Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2014, 08:44 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
CityEvader,

I took a look at my Wanderer plans and it looks to me like you can leave the spar alone. I circled what I believe to be joiner rods on the plans. Just use the traditional brass tube and music wire combo at the location circled in blue and you should be fine. I did the exact same thing on my recent 3 meter build and it has held up very well. The joiner tube does not have to run down the spar.

Wayne

Edit, it is possible that the area circled is actually a second spar system to reinforce the poly break but I still believe you could use the location for joiner tubes.
I just got another Wanderer from my brother, and it's different. I built the Dynaflite version. It had a fabulously thick instruction manual, with tons of pictures, and very, very well written. The "new" one is a Marks Models version, and the plans are different (same as yours) and the instructions are quite hard to follow, no pictures (except for 20 or so pictures compiled on a separate sheet)
and in the instructions it shows scrap pieces of wood in the very locations that you had circled... Mark Models has you build the entire wing first with center ribs "elevated" followed by sheeting the center section after removing from work surface, whereas Dynaflite has you laying down the bottom sheeting first and then the ribs, to keep it nice and true/flat.
Old May 21, 2014, 08:45 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,987 Posts
Did y'all see the first flights of this Wanderer? CG is nearly half inch back from plan's location.

Wanderer antics (3 min 54 sec)
Old May 26, 2014, 02:08 AM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Looks like a fun afternoon! Congrats on the great initial flights of your new Wanderer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I just got another Wanderer from my brother, and it's different. I built the Dynaflite version. It had a fabulously thick instruction manual, with tons of pictures, and very, very well written. The "new" one is a Marks Models version, and the plans are different (same as yours) and the instructions are quite hard to follow, no pictures (except for 20 or so pictures compiled on a separate sheet)
and in the instructions it shows scrap pieces of wood in the very locations that you had circled... Mark Models has you build the entire wing first with center ribs "elevated" followed by sheeting the center section after removing from work surface, whereas Dynaflite has you laying down the bottom sheeting first and then the ribs, to keep it nice and true/flat.
The original Marks Models Wanderer kits that had been packaged in the orange label boxes have a wingspan of 72 inches. Built mine from the one of the early kits and being a fairly experienced modeler, did not follow the instructions to the "T" and did lay down the bottom sheeting first to obtain that nice, flat lower wing surface.

However, the instructions also called for not driving pins thru the hefty spruce wing spars, which I did not follow. Gotta respect the instructions on this one. Don't ask me how I know.

I did come across a Dynaflite Wanderer kit with a 76" wingspan that had a different label. Probably the last run of Wanderer kits from Dynaflite.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer