HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:59 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Question
Winch battery connectors?

I see winch battery quick connectors on a lot of F3B winches, and I'd like to convert our FLS winches. I found some at California Car Cover, but I'd like to make sure I get some quality parts.

Anybody have a source for some good ones? I need 3 or 4 sets for the club winches.

Thanks,

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:38 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
I've used these for several years.... Good results...

http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-1820...6&sr=8-3-fkmr0

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is online now Find More Posts by Radian
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:07 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
380 Posts
Convient, but not great

I've used them extensively as well. The problem is that under 'hard' use they will eventually arc and destroy the post. The little puffs of smoke are a clue.

I liked the convenience, but converted to copper lugs with the winch connection being the big Anderson connectors. Now they are probably what will go next.

David
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:31 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Thanks for the Amazon link - same price except we'll get free shipping. I considered the Anderson connectors, but I'd have to set up 6 batteries to cover 3 winches and 3 retrievers. I found some heavy cast brass ones on a British web site, but they were way expensive, still looking

Bruce
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:23 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
Don't use those connecters. They are convenient bit in efficient, and poor repeat ability for resistance. Use large wing nuts and a spade connecter. I like the ones that come from Ober with their battery resister bars

http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/12.html
djklein21 is online now Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:21 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
If you want good connections use classic connections like that:
http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/13.html
and if you want to be abble to remove them quickly replace the screw/nut by this:
http://www.decathlon.fr/serrage-60-m...d_3640650.html
it's sold in bicycle shop and it's used to tighten the stem of the saddle of the bicycle (not sure of my english here...)
Loïc
Blanco Loïc is offline Find More Posts by Blanco Loïc
Old Dec 06, 2011, 12:46 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,381 Posts
Bruce, you can make your own that is better than anything out there.

Similar to the one picture below.
I see your son has access to a machine shop?

A bar of copper, cut drill and tapped with a 3/8" coarse thread, and a larger knob for the clamping screw than shown in the picture. Think of the knobs on weight lifting equip. Or even an L bend in the bolt. Then you can use slotted cable lugs with copper washers as Dave K said. I am sure you can even sell a few and even make up the cost of the materials and labor. I would be interested in a couple sets.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:48 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Similar to the one picture below.
We used these in the past ... when you need to kill the connection in a hurry, turning the wheel takes time you don't have.

YMMV ... tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:54 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
We used these in the past ... when you need to kill the connection in a hurry, turning the wheel takes time you don't have.

YMMV ... tk
Agree with this, I really prefer our solution because you can kill the connection really fast if necessary.
Blanco Loïc is offline Find More Posts by Blanco Loïc
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post

YMMV ... tk
Yeah I agree, I wouldn't recommend using that exact type with its finer threads, small knob and 1/4" clamp screws. I recommend making something like that though with larger coarser threads and a larger knob. Even the bicycle style clamps would work.

But if Bruce does end up using the ones he showed a picture of, it is not easy to snap off in a hurry though. To make that one easier to use, I drill a hole in it and make a handle with cord attached to the plastic lever.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:17 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,986 Posts
How many amps are you pulling?

I'd suggest finding your local Anderson Connector dealer and getting SB-175's or SB-350's, which are for forklifts. Super heavy duty, and will handle a lot of amps.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
No decision yet, but thanks for all the input. Too bad the quick connects in my original post won't work, they would have been the best all around. We are flying off a mix of club and personal winches and I was trying to make the battery hook up easy for all. One of our club winches has the connector like Tuan posted, it works OK, but the knob is already broken. That and the on-line reviews for them are really bad. I'll take a look at that one and see if it can easily be upgraded like the suggestions.

Anderson style connectors would be nice, but I'd have to set up at least 3 winches and 3 retrievers that way, and the batteries would not be easily usable with the personal winches that get set up on non-contest weekends - I hate to force the others to upgrade without discussing it 1st.

I've got time - next club contest isn't until the end of January, and that is when we really need them. We're getting 20 - 25+ pilots at a monthly contest now, and by round 3 the batteries are getting weak ( it's those darn Icon 2s and Xploder 4000s! )

Anyways, on the bright side, I guess it's not such a bad problem having so much activity that we can kill a battery in 1 session - it wasn't that way just a couple of years ago.

Bruce
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:24 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01 View Post
No decision yet, but thanks for all the input. Too bad the quick connects in my original post won't work, they would have been the best all around. .....
Ok hold on guys!!!

The quick connectors WILL WORK! I've used the Minnkota ones for more then 2 years on an Optima Blue deep cycle batter and a very strong FLS winch!

NO SMOKE and NO other problems....

I agree that using these might not be best for F3B winches were repeatability and precise calibration is a must... But for club winches with FLS motors.

THEY ARE FINE!!!!

Please review what Mr. BLewis01 is asking for here. Quick low cost simple connectors for club FLS winches. Ones that could also help if a disconnect is needed quickly. These connectors fit that requirement perfectly. Let's not make the requirements more complex then they are.

I suggest you buy a set for less then $25 bucks and try them out. I'm sure for club winches you'll see they work well, are inexpensive and convienant.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is online now Find More Posts by Radian
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:31 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Ok hold on guys!!!

The quick connectors WILL WORK! I've used the Minnkota ones for more then 2 years on an Optima Blue deep cycle batter and a very strong FLS winch!

NO SMOKE and NO other problems....

I agree that using these might not be best for F3B winches were repeatability and precise calibration is a must... But for club winches with FLS motors.

THEY ARE FINE!!!!

Please review what Mr. BLewis01 is asking for here. Quick low cost simple connectors for club FLS winches. Ones that could also help if a disconnect is needed quickly. These connectors fit that requirement perfectly. Let's not make the requirements more complex then they are.

I suggest you buy a set for less then $25 bucks and try them out. I'm sure for club winches you'll see they work well, are inexpensive and convienant.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
+1

I use one of these on the ground of one of my F3B winches and it has been fine for 3 or 4 years. The winch is mostly used for practice so I'm not that worried about repeatability, but the connector does work.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
One word of caution... if you've been pulling a lot of amps through these... and need to disconnect them quickly, burned fingers may result... And yes... from experience...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman