HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:54 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
?? Need more details. The stock tail slider was even worse because it had binding issues.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:56 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
?? Need more details. The stock tail slider was even worse because it had binding issues.
Hard to say. The video isn't clear. Not enough angles to see the whole dynamic. Take some more pix different angles at full left and right.

The tail box looks all bent up, the tail saft doesn't look to sit striaght, the belt is not riding straight on the pully.

Also the servo is not mechanically centered. Or is it?
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Feb 04, 2010, 08:34 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Are there thrust bearings on the grips?
I have a chinese weight mod on my EXI 250 but I have the stock grips and stuff on mine. I have not looked to see if I have restrictions though.
I have a LT2100 and 3000 logitech combo.
Align control arm and align slider.
Are you doing it in HH or Rate mode?
Tennis raquet effect is brought on by something being wider in one direction than the other (wide blades for example). If the grips are not symetric and very flat, then that can do it too.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:12 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
my guess is there is some physical damage and then it is probably not set up right.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 11:36 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
I went ahead and took the tail boom apart, removing the belt, tail assembly, etc. First thing I noticed was a portion of the belt was chewed up, about 4-5 belt teeth in a row, on an ALIGN belt I might add. Have no idea how or when this happened, but I'm glad I checked on it, as the belt may have snapped in flight if I hadn't caught it beforehand. Gyro was in HH mode during testing.

There is NO physical damage to anything, the components are all new, this heli has only been hover tested a few times, it has never been crashed. Tail shaft is NOT bent, I took the tail shaft out, performed the roll test, put it in a drill, etc. to make sure it was true, it passed all tests with flying colors. A bent tail shaft will usually cause a lot of vibration and just looking at the spinning tail blades it is evident when a tail shaft is bent, even if it's a slight bend. I've deal with bent tail shafts in 450s a few times, I know a bent tail shaft when I see one.

Another issue I did not like was that the stock HK-250GT tail boom seems a bit short, I have 2 Align T-Rex 250 booms on-hand so the stock tail boom is headed for the trash. The Microheli tail is going back and I'm swapping it for an Align all-metal T-Rex 250 SE tail with the metal control arm, it's actually about $10 cheaper and is probably higher quality. Something was out of whack on that Microheli tail, I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but I'm not going to waste 3-5 hours figuring it out. It's going back for a refund. Once I have all the replacement parts by next week, I'll throw a new belt on and drop the all-metal Align SE tail assembly/grips on there and hopefully it'll be ready to go. Everything was set up on this heli exactly as per the T-Rex 250 manual, I found the build to be relatively easy, nothing that I wasn't familiar with from previous builds.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 03:49 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
- Mine Microheli tail is on the way... Now you got me worried - especially after I started getting used to the current setup.

BTW I have bought Align's metal tail blade holders and they had more slop than original HK, so I decided not to put them on...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Feb 05, 2010, 07:52 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Clicky - mine may have just been a dud, if yours is the same way, ship it back for a refund. I couldn't get things to line up correctly, though the Microheli tail did seem to move really smoothly (no binding or hang-ups anywhere) and the installation seemed easy, it just didn't function correctly. It might have been a subtle manufacturing defect, I'm not sure, but hopefully you'll have better luck.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:35 AM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
I have a Bullet 250, exact same heli and the tail is just fine.

I didn't say the shaft was bent, but it sure doesn't look like the box is striaght or the shaft doesn't sits in the box straight.

I had lot a boom problems too and have switch to the plastic Align boom mount in the frame and it's better now. The metal one seems to crush down the boom too much and then it gets loose.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:20 PM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,639 Posts
What are your rudder TX endpoints set at rcnewb? Are they 100/100? It looks less.

I have a stock'ish HK250GT with a HK401B, I get 60%AVCS, I have cut my tail blades down to 37mm have chinese weights btw.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Feb 05, 2010, 01:53 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
rcnewb, is the Align tail your ordering gonna have weighted tail grips?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:38 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Mel - I don't think there are weights built-in, I will add them this time around though, your website helped me figure out what I needed from the hardware store. The Microheli tail simply didn't sit straight on the end of the tail no matter how much I screwed around with it, I sent it back for return earlier today. Align tail should be in by next week. I hate having to buy overpriced Align stuff but their QC is consistent so all their parts are generally top notch.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:36 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
rcnewb, is the Align tail your ordering gonna have weighted tail grips?
Mel -

Received my Align metal tail grips today and was happy to see that they now have the "counter balance weight" (aka Chinese weight mod) built into them, as shown here on helidirect's website.
"New tail blade grips with 90 degrees counter balance weight for effective dissipation of centripetal forces, reducing load on the rudder servo and increased the locking effectiveness of tail."
On another positive note, the metal Align tail lever fits around the stock plastic HK-250GT pitch slider ball with no apparent slop, at least none that I can see or feel. It's a nice fit and I'm looking forward to the results on the Align metal tail assembly. Hopefully this will take care of the tail issues I've been having, will report back once I get a hold of an Align 250 belt...
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Feb 08, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Dual bearings

A guy on heli-meeting adviced me to insert one more bearings into tail blade grip. You only need extra bearing, a longer screw, and result seemed very rigid. He said that even original Align tail needed this mod to fly properly...

He had both T-Rex and HK-250, and he said that from his perspective they are nearly identical helis=) So I'm looking forward to have my own, I'm waiting for stupid tail servo to come in stock...
Bizon is offline Find More Posts by Bizon
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:22 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Bizon - not sure if that is necessarily true, one of the guys in my club (who owns both a HK-250GT and T-Rex 250) flew both off of stock parts with no modifications, he even left the belt as-is in the stock 250GT and hasn't had any issues. I think it's luck of the draw with some of this stuff, unfortunately with the knock-off heli's, QA/QC is lacking so you get whatever ships out, whether defective or not.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:27 PM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Allright, I'm glad to hear that. Guys at my national Czech forum keep spitting tons of garbage how dangerous, unreliable and no-good cheap helis are, so I may be little infected with their attitude. But so far I enjoy "budget flying" (I have HK450 and CX450), and I'm very excited to go for 250.

So you are saying that there aren't any critical bugs on newer kits that need to be fixed prior to first flight? If so I'll be very happy, and I'll go straight in the air after I complete the heli(of course I will check everything during setup and prior to first flight). thanx...
Bizon is offline Find More Posts by Bizon