SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:06 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruizer
JOE, im going to build my P-47 with a 1200KV brushless similar to your atomics, what prop size would you go with for a little more speed than stock and more prop control meaning it will slow down off the throttle know what i mean?...... my slowstick does it with big prop......... I will be using a 11.1 400 pack at 30 grams.... Thanx
That's going to depend on what that motor is capable of swinging. What exactly are you using?
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:13 PM
Fly it before you paint!!
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
242 Posts
Its a hexatronic 1300kv 24gram motor..... they recommend a 8x3.8 prop but isn't that to big? I using a 10-amp BP esc too
SmoothCruizer is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:39 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,484 Posts
Last of the Mustangs.

I have had this kit since June 2007. I figured it was time to build - or save it for ebay in a few years.
I do hope there is a Mustang in the future MWBs from Cox.
I modded it with a 10 gram brushless from United Hobbies. Then power comes from a 500 mah 2 cell LIPO. It's R/E/T. 5 gram Tower Pro servos from Lightflightrc.com Maiden will be soon.
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Old Feb 01, 2008, 06:45 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Its a hexatronic 1300kv 24gram motor..... they recommend a 8x3.8 prop but isn't that to big? I using a 10-amp BP esc too
That prop is not too big, the plane is too small. A general consensus is to keep the prop diameter less than 1/3 of the wingspan. So a 8" prop on a 20" wingspan is indeed too much. The motor will spin that but I think the prop you want is an apc 6x5.5 There is still plenty of thrust and the pitch speed is suffecient to throttle back and still get good flights at 1/2 throttle. Also if you hit the LVC (soft cut) you still have enough thrust to land without drama. That's the prop of choice on the Atomic conversions with 3s.

I should also point out that much will depend on the capacity of the lipo. An 8x4 prop is going to draw close to 7.5 amps continuous so that would require a 3s 450 15C lipo, a 6x5.5 will draw closer to 5 amps so a 3s 300 20C pack can be used. That would be similar to what I use in my Atomic conversions.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Feb 01, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2008, 11:42 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,466 Posts
And, as another reference point, I'm running 6x4's in my brushless conversions, they still have plenty of speed, way over scale speed and good thrust for launch, and a little less current draw, I'm running that prop on both the 250 and 300 size outrunners.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320
That prop is not too big, the plane is too small. A general consensus is to keep the prop diameter less than 1/3 of the wingspan. So a 8" prop on a 20" wingspan is indeed too much. The motor will spin that but I think the prop you want is an apc 6x5.5 There is still plenty of thrust and the pitch speed is suffecient to throttle back and still get good flights at 1/2 throttle. Also if you hit the LVC (soft cut) you still have enough thrust to land without drama. That's the prop of choice on the Atomic conversions with 3s.

I should also point out that much will depend on the capacity of the lipo. An 8x4 prop is going to draw close to 7.5 amps continuous so that would require a 3s 450 15C lipo, a 6x5.5 will draw closer to 5 amps so a 3s 300 20C pack can be used. That would be similar to what I use in my Atomic conversions.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
Old Feb 01, 2008, 04:23 PM
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
242 Posts
thats kool.... i like speed too... off topic but i want my warbird with unlimited vertical close to My Slowstick that has 1:1 ratio of thrust using a 11x4.7 prop and flys like a command thrust or control meaning i can slow it down with no twitching off power..... Im probably going to go with a 7 X4.7 or 7X5 i think
Old Feb 01, 2008, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
thats kool.... i like speed too... off topic but i want my warbird with unlimited vertical close to My Slowstick that has 1:1 ratio of thrust using a 11x4.7 prop and flys like a command thrust or control meaning i can slow it down with no twitching off power..... Im probably going to go with a 7 X4.7 or 7X5 i think
A 6" prop WILL give you brisk and unlimited vertical. Go with a 7" if you must, but don't say you weren't warned. It will get away from you if not an expert pilot.
Old Feb 01, 2008, 05:13 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,466 Posts
Yes, a 6x4 should give you all the vertical you want, most of my planes dont' have enough rudder to overcome a full throttle zoom and keep it straight up, I need to back off the throttle when I want a good straight vertical zoom.

Frank

Quote:
Old Feb 01, 2008, 05:26 PM
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
242 Posts
Another quick question.... Does less watts mean longer flight time? I was reviewing some pages back Dr. KIWI has some info on props.... if so that is what i want too hehe --- smooth
Old Feb 01, 2008, 09:57 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Just wondering how others feel about this....With power systems, customizing, etc. having progressed so much since this thread was first started, is it possibly time to retire this one and start a Cox Micro Warbird Sortie Part II thread? I think a lot of people who are interested in tricking out and enjoying their micro warbirds are getting overwhelmed by the number of posts that have stacked up in this thread.

What does everyone think?

Jon
Jon S is offline Find More Posts by Jon S
Old Feb 01, 2008, 11:46 PM
*** goes here?!?!?!
San Luis Obispo
Joined Apr 2007
96 Posts
Ahh, I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but would the p-47 be a good trainer/first plane?
Noobs r us is offline Find More Posts by Noobs r us
Old Feb 02, 2008, 04:12 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,466 Posts
No, they aren't very forgiving for new pilots, handlaunches need to be done correctly. They aren't hard to fly, but I wouldn't recommend it for a new pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobs r us
Ahh, I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but would the p-47 be a good trainer/first plane?
Old Feb 02, 2008, 07:23 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobs r us
Nope. You would be better off learning on something with a larger wing area that is a specified trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S
Just wondering how others feel about this....With power systems, customizing, etc. having progressed so much since this thread was first started, is it possibly time to retire this one and start a Cox Micro Warbird Sortie Part II thread? I think a lot of people who are interested in tricking out and enjoying their micro warbirds are getting overwhelmed by the number of posts that have stacked up in this thread.

Jon
Agreed!
Old Feb 02, 2008, 12:00 PM
Texas
Joined Sep 2007
124 Posts
Has anyone used this motor? I want to upgrade my zero. http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B3805270 -looks good
my old one is the ELE C20 2500Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor.
Mic034 is offline Find More Posts by Mic034
Old Feb 02, 2008, 12:26 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S

Jon
I second the motion
Doc Holliday is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holliday
Closed Thread