HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:08 AM
Hopped up on RC
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Discussion
TW-748-1 F4U Corsair

I just purchased this 27 MHz FM brushed 370-a.

I am new to planes, but have been learning control with a mini quadcopter and micro helicopter. I have spent quite a bit of time on a simulator with a Cessna and Spitfire to get some of the basics down. The plan is to take some short take offs and landing to see how it goes, any thoughts are welcome.

I noticed the landing gear was not very stable and added glue. However, I am a little concerned about how the ailerons line up (or don't) I adjusted the servos best I could, but may be shaving off some foam to line up a little better.
BubbsMalone is offline Find More Posts by BubbsMalone
Last edited by BubbsMalone; Nov 04, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 03:46 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,706 Posts
Wow, its a blast from the past! That was one of my first planes that I had. I learned a lot with that plane and to this day look back at the good times I had with this plane

I ended up do quite a few upgrades on this plane. All of them were worth it. Look here for what I did with it...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...38&postcount=2

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 04, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Thanks for posting kman24, I'll check it out.

I was noticing this plane has been around for awhile, been looking through some posts and u-tube videos. I will be looking at an upgrade path if it survives
Old Nov 04, 2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,706 Posts
It's a pretty tough plane, the airframe that is. The cowl, landing gear, and motor gearbox are weak points. I ended up leaving the gear off, taping the cowl, and upgrading the motor/esc to a brushless setup. I got a lot of air miles out of mine

Kman
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:08 PM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
That's encouraging, I keep reading it's not the best plane to learn on.

I do get a bit of a breeze at Baylands here in Sunnyvale California (5-10 MPH), so I will just have to take it easy. No loops or death dives anytime soon.
Old Nov 07, 2014, 01:12 AM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Maiden flight times two and wasn't up for no more than 10 seconds either time. Wind was picking up and I have a lot to learn, but at leastI got the feel for the controls for a bit.

Minor damage to the cowl and I will be buying some more props for next time.
Last edited by BubbsMalone; Nov 12, 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:12 AM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
I finished up my storage box over the weekend and ordered more props. Really starting to think about my upgrade path, hope to fly again in the next week or so.
Last edited by BubbsMalone; Nov 18, 2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:16 AM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Another couple of real short flights with the corsair today. The underpowered 370 Brushed/geared motor is hard to get up high enough to keep in the air.

She really looks good flying, I'm considering the addition of a 1000kv outrunner motor with esc to see if it helps any.

Wibbly Wobbly right now
Last edited by BubbsMalone; Nov 19, 2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:51 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,706 Posts
Here's the motor/ESC combo I had on mine. I got the 1400kv version and spun a GWS 8x4 prop on mine...

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-427.html

In order to mount the brushless motor onto the stock stick, you will need one of these...

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tic-p-141.html

I used a 1300mah 3s battery in mine. Gave me good flight times and balanced out well.

BTW - that motor/ESC combo is still going. After I retired the ole Corsair airframe, I transferred that combo to another airframe

Kman
Old Nov 19, 2014, 09:52 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,706 Posts
BTW - that storage/transport box you have for your plane is top notch

Kman
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:07 PM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Thanks kman24, I'll check out the links.

The box was a fun project, just threw together some scraps lying around and added dollar store hinges and clasps. My wife had some felt I applied with a staple gun and the paint and stencil set were lying around as well. Not bad for a couple afternoons of goofing around.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:56 PM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
After quite a bit of going back and forth, reading posts and googling, this is what I came up with:

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-A2212-1...rhf_ee_p_img_1

I kept trying to talk myself into lower KV, but eventually settled in here. I ordered from another seller for right around $10 as well as 30A ESC from the same maker. It will be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:31 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbsMalone View Post
After quite a bit of going back and forth, reading posts and googling, this is what I came up with:

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-A2212-1...rhf_ee_p_img_1

I kept trying to talk myself into lower KV, but eventually settled in here. I ordered from another seller for right around $10 as well as 30A ESC from the same maker. It will be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out.
Perfect, you will like it. It gives the plane a good balance between speed and power

Kman
Old Nov 24, 2014, 01:49 AM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
Hey thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 02:29 AM
Hopped up on RC
Joined Sep 2014
198 Posts
I just got the motor in and the ESC. I installed and did some preliminary tests with the 8x6 prop I have (drilled to fit the new collar)

I go through the sequence of beeps and have at least set it up for the NIMH 650mAh battery I am still using, here is what happens:
-TX on with throttle all the way down
-Battery connected (series of beeps)
-Throttle works and I can accelerate normally
-After about ten seconds I raise the throttle to half and all is well
-Slowly raise the throttle to near full and it adjusts and slows to below half throttle
-If I lower throttle all the way down, I can repeat the above.

My concerns:
-Battery may not be fully charged, but last attempt was over 2-1/2 hrs and the battery pack wasn't warm.
-Battery may not be able to handle this motor, which means upgrade to Lipo (which I will eventually do)
-My setting for low battery shutdown may not be set where I need it, no instructions came with the Neewer 30 Amp ESC. The closest instruction I found on the web is for Mystery ESC, which might be the same company.

Any thought are welcome, there may be something else I am missing. I have been researching, but still not sure the self adjusting throttle will give me enough power to fly using this battery.