HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,148 Posts
Yes, that wing rod (3/16" = 4.76mm) did look a bit skinny. I'm thinking I will go with 6mm steel or carbon.
Geoff_S is offline Find More Posts by Geoff_S
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,907 Posts
This thing is about 2m span right? I'd definitely be using at least an 8mm (5/16") joiner and standard size servos for wing actuation.
Hamburglar is offline Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Last edited by Hamburglar; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:13 AM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slims View Post
If You use the stock wing rod make sure you have more on hand as it will bend easily if the landing is not perfect. also ive run across two different versions of this kit. Maybe this thread will get me back in the garage!.....
I'm sticking with the "bendy" wing rods - I broke a 10x12mm solid carbon wing joiner tip-stalling my Sunbird into the ground, with virtually no damage to the wings or fus at the joiner (can't say the same for the rest of the fus ). I dread to think what would have happened if the joiner hadn't broken - definitely a flaw in the joiner's layup, luckily

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims View Post
....Waiting to see how you get your snakes secured.
Trick is to run some music wire through the outers, dollops of splooge on the outer, then use rare-earth magnets on the outside of the fus to position them exactly where you want them
geoffers0_0 is offline Find More Posts by geoffers0_0
Last edited by geoffers0_0; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffers0_0 View Post
I'm sticking with the "bendy" wing rods - I broke a 10x12mm solid carbon wing joiner tip-stalling my Sunbird into the ground, with virtually no damage to the wings or fus at the joiner (can't say the same for the rest of the fus ). I dread to think what would have happened if the joiner hadn't broken - definitely a flaw in the joiner's layup, luckily

Trick is to run some music wire through the outers, dollops of splooge on the outer, then use rare-earth magnets on the outside of the fus to position them exactly where you want them
I am sticking with stock wing rod also, if the steel is too soft and bendy, then I will try to find a heat treated one. For right now, I have the tube epoxied into the fuse and it is not going anywhere, LOL!

Your trick with steel snake and magnets is AWESOME! I will keep that one in my list of things to not forget

Thanks,
Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffers0_0 View Post

One of my favorite tricks ever for installing those diddly things! Life has been different since I discovered those rare earth magnets!

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
210 Posts
Only done a bit of tinkering recently - completed the elevator bellhousing assembly, then persuaded myself that standard wingtwist cams will be the way to go.

I had a go at making a sliding actuator, but I think a plane would reall need to be designed around that from the start, as it would be pretty difficult to slot into the Axle. Also quite difficult to remove all the slop from the setup

Here's a pretty low quality video of my attempt showing my mockup in action, plus some piccies...

wingtwist (0 min 15 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
210 Posts
Carbon Socking

Happy New Year folks: Things have been a bit quiet on the Axle front, what with Christmas & the start of the ski-season.

However I have now got a carbon socked fuse

This was my first attempt at socking, so didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, and there are a few things I'd do differently next time
  1. Sanded the fuse back to the gel coat
  2. Sprayed with matt black enamel, so the white wouldn't show through (if I wasn't going for strength I would have left it there, as the matt black looked cool)
  3. Stretched the sock over the fuse (this was quite heavy duty sock to be able to strech over the widest part).
  4. Tied the sock at the nose with cable ties, then applied epoxy.
  5. Wrapped with shrinkwrap tape, but this was a nightmare to hold in place, so wrapped over this with PVC tape too.
  6. Prayed that it wouldn't be a disaster.
  7. On unwrapping, found the shrinkwrap had embedded itself in the epoxy, and the wrapping had left lots of indentations in the surface of the epoxy
  8. Spent ages scraping and sanding to get rid of the shrinkwrap and excess epoxy
  9. Then painted on a final layer of finishing epoxy
The end result is less than perfect close up, but hopefully should be super strong and should look OK in the air.

If I do this again I'll probably wrap with peel-ply then wrap with the shrinkwrap, so this should squeeze the sock tightly but remove the excess resin. Hopefully a light sand and finish coat would be all that would have been required then.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:20 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Jul 2009
58 Posts
Geoff, that was also my experience with the shrink tape! I think pvc tape and peel ply is the best way for irregular shapes. Looks like its turned out nicely though.
looking forward to seeing this one go....that is if i ever get out flying again!
bennyh is offline Find More Posts by bennyh
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:13 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Jul 2009
58 Posts
Any news Geoffers?
bennyh is offline Find More Posts by bennyh
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:14 AM
I'd rather be.....
Bristol, UK
Joined Jun 2008
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyh View Post
Any news Geoffers?
Doh - guilty of grand lethargy : promise I'll be back on the case shortly, and you'll see it in action if this shoite weather ever ends...
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sherborne
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
If any one can help in loaning or selling me a fuz i can make a new mould. I am look for any of the sailplane international models. we still have the molds for the ridge rover but most got thrown away some years ago. can any one help.
Richard
richard rawle is offline Find More Posts by richard rawle
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:15 AM
Decoy flares mislead
catmose vale, rutland, uk
Joined Jul 2007
286 Posts
Nice refurbishment
wibberley is offline Find More Posts by wibberley