HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:41 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
I wouldn't go so far as that. The main area of concern, in my opinion, are the plastic landing gear. But the basic setup is OK, unless you want to change things like how the control devices work (ailerons, stabs, rudders, TV nozzles), adding a gyro, upgrading the motors, etc.

If you want a nice cruising EDF with a fancy maneuver here and there, not flying full throttle all the time - I think you're good to go.
Fred - do you have one? I have never seen you fly her....

Lets say it like it is. If you are not an experienced modeler, chances are one of the weak links on this jet will get you and you will crash and lose your jet altogether. The elevator connectors are a prime example. There are a list of bare minimum mods that are not hard to implement that IMO must be incorporated if you want to fly this jet more than 10 times. Another area of major concern - the retracts... oh man where do I start. So, he can probably fly like you say for a few times before one of these other things gets him. But do as you wish....
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by captain MoMo; Dec 23, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 09:42 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Mine is still bone stock and no problems. 8)
A rare bird for sure......
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:22 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,145 Posts
Yep, waiting for some ESC's that seem to have been lost in the Christmas shipping deluge.

But you've seen my LX F/A-18 fly several times, and that has a similar wing-type arrangement. No major reinforcements, but then again I haven't hopped it up and added to weight, nor do I do Su-35-type maneuvers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Fred - do you have one? I have never seen you fly her....

Lets say it like it is. If you are not an experienced modeler, chances are one of the weak links on this jet will get you and you will crash and lose your jet altogether. The elevator connectors are a prime example. There are a list of bare minimum mods that are not hard to implement that IMO must be incorporated if you want to fly this jet more than 10 times. Another area of major concern - the retracts... oh man where do I start. So, he can probably fly like you say for a few times before one of these other things gets him. But do as you wish....
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:47 AM
Joined Apr 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
This model will fly very nice but in my opinion (and my strong recommendation) you will have to do all the modifications noted in this thread - as a minimum look at what pepper posted and summarized. I also had the RTF and redid all the wiring, ESCs, motors, EDFs, and the lot. Not easy to work with original wiring, too thin and hard to reach. I just ripped everything out and installed my own electronics, including all the servos with metal gear ones. Take a look at my pictures and etc on this thread.
Hi captain MOMO Thanks for the info. Regarding the servo I can guarantee that the servo is a fully metal gear, since I had to open it to check the defect. Now I managed to bypass the cable from the Y lead to the elev servo by piercing through the left undercarriage leg and then straight to the servo and left the old lead in place since I could not pull it out. Thanks and wishing all bloggers a Happy Christmas and a M
flygringo is offline Find More Posts by flygringo
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
84 Posts
Continued..... Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year.
flygringo is offline Find More Posts by flygringo
Old Dec 24, 2014, 02:00 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Yep, waiting for some ESC's that seem to have been lost in the Christmas shipping deluge.

But you've seen my LX F/A-18 fly several times, and that has a similar wing-type arrangement. No major reinforcements, but then again I haven't hopped it up and added to weight, nor do I do Su-35-type maneuvers.
Oh? I have a drawer full of ESCs ! What size do you need?

You really just do figure eights with the LX F18 and even then you have had issues.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 02:01 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygringo View Post
Continued..... Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year.
Same to you .....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,428 Posts
Quote:
A rare bird for sure......
I only fly with a 4000mah 6s so it keeps it light and I did put fuel tubing on the clevises. I also happen to be really good at landing because it's all I used to do was touch and goes with all my planes when I 1st got into the hobby. Keeping power on while landing is soooo important. Most guys at my field tend to let them just drop. When you try to give them advise though, they get defensive so I just try to lead by example. Expo on your elevator will cause non-linearity also making flaring less predictable. That handicapped me for a while until I figured out why they wanted to balloon up at the end of the flare. LOL Live and learn I guess.
I do feel lucky with my mig29 though.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:04 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
3,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
I only fly with a 4000mah 6s so it keeps it light and I did put fuel tubing on the clevises. I also happen to be really good at landing because it's all I used to do was touch and goes with all my planes when I 1st got into the hobby. Keeping power on while landing is soooo important. Most guys at my field tend to let them just drop. When you try to give them advise though, they get defensive so I just try to lead by example. Expo on your elevator will cause non-linearity also making flaring less predictable. That handicapped me for a while until I figured out why they wanted to balloon up at the end of the flare. LOL Live and learn I guess.
I do feel lucky with my mig29 though.
Yup - seen you fly on videos.... you do nice landings. But my recommendations for this model still stand... since it only makes it more reliable for minimal work.

Merry x-mas Hope there are big boxes under your tree LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 02:10 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,145 Posts
Most of the issues were from features that I have since taken out. For example, I had the TV servos disconnected and unused, but the nozzle got moved and threw off the plane's trim. I solved that by gluing the nozzles down. Other times it was CG being off because I used a variety of battery setups (single 6S/series 3S, 3300/4000/4400mAH) - again, nothing that required any re-wire or re-work to address.

But to each his own. There's a reason a caveat'ed my advice (simple, non-leadfoot flying).

Quote:
Oh? I have a drawer full of ESCs ! What size do you need?

You really just do figure eights with the LX F18 and even then you have had issues.....
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:11 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Yup - seen you fly on videos.... you do nice landings. But my recommendations for this model still stand... since it only makes it more reliable for minimal work.

Merry x-mas Hope there are big boxes under your tree LOL
Now I'm gonna have problems since I just jinxed myself. I think your advise is good. If I didn't have so many flights on mine stock before reading this thread, I probably would have done the mods you suggested. Just may anyways now that the jinx has been set to go off. Guess I'll just never learn.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk