HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
Discussion
Where / when do you practice?

You have seen my thread asking about mid-sized patterns planes and my thread on losing my 48" Edge to a mid-air.

Now I'm thinking, do I really want a $400 airframe with $600 in gear in it to practice pattern at a club field.

I ended losing my Edge as I was practicing--

Straight flight
Reverse 1/2 Cuban 8
Stall turn
Two loops

On one attempt at the stall turn ... wham ... creamed by a 40-size glow trainer. There's no way to point out fault. Did the other guy fly into my plane or did I make a sudden up turn into the stall and cut him off? I think with mid-airs, unless someone does something blatantly irresponsible, you just have to call it an accident and part of the hobby.

So now I'm thinking. My Saturday/Sunday morning social time at the club field is just not the time to practice. If I get a better plane, I'm going to have to sit out until most of the other guys go home.

So, I'm curious. What kind of activity do you have at fields where you practice?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:17 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,206 Posts
Hi,
I try to avoid to fly when others are up in the air if I'm practicing schedule.
First, I like to hear my electric motor properly when I fly (and that is difficult when others fly at the same time), second a midair could happen if I or the other do not watch up. I like to concentrate on my flying and not to watch for other planes when I fly schedule.

Since I fly mostly schedules (presently with my Sebart MythoS 125E) I fly usually early when not so many are at the field or in the evening (when people start to head home), that is on weekends (or vaccation).
Sometimes I bring the plane with me in the car to work and on the way home from work I fly maybe 5-6 flights (in about 1 hour) and then drive home. Usually none at the field then.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:11 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
I try to get to the field early, especially if I'm going to maiden a new plane.
At our field, If I'm flying a pattern sequence, and another flyer or two announces that they are taking off and they aren't going to fly a set pattern, They are "suppose" (according to our club rules) to honor my pattern flight Or anyone else's that is also flying a pattern sequence.

After you have flown at a field for awhile, You will get to know the flyers that you can trust to stay out of your space when flying a sequence. You will also get to know the fliers that think that they can fly however they want. When one of this type of flyer is either flying at the time or takes off while I'm flying, I stay on the ground until he or she is done flying and if I'm in the air, I'll call landing and land the plane and it will live to fly again at a later time.

There's way too many members in our flying club to be able to do much flying, when you would be the only one flying.

We really don't have much of a problem where I fly, About the only time that there's any Mid-Airs is when the Combat flyers are going at it.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
169 Posts
Lots of pattern people I know fly in the PM when the wind is up and the sport flyers have gone home.
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:38 PM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
615 Posts
I agree, pick the days/times with the worst weather and you'll get the field to yourself plus it'll help you learn to deal with wind properly.

I've pushed the baseline of a full 2M ship out over 250m and still had people flying sport planes coming uncomfortably close.
bjr_93tz is offline Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:56 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOf4Doors View Post
Lots of pattern people I know fly in the PM when the wind is up and the sport flyers have gone home.
Where I live, In the PM is when the wind usually dies down. I really don't care what the wind is doing, I'll fly in strong winds. I used to live in the mid west and if you waited to fly, until the wind wasn't blowing, YOU weren't going to fly.

Besides, Every Pattern or Scale Contest I ever entered, There is always wind blowing.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee