Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:34 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Discussion
No Club No AMA Life is Good.

First time In 10 years I'm not a club member or have AMA.

I have found a remote area to fly and clearing the area for a runway.

No club Politics or flying rules. This is refreshing.

I should renew my AMA though as they support our hobby in many ways. I don't really care for the Rag Mag.

I may join a club later if I miss the club scene but for now I'm happy.

Just wanted to express my new outlook in the hobby.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Good for you, I wish there was an option to not get the magazine with a primary membership.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,617 Posts
Before everyone jumps on me how I should renew my AMA, I will renew soon.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Good on you! The only reason I am AMA is so I can fly demos of my products at gatherings. Otherwise I fly off private property with a few friends that feel the same as I do about AMA.
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,992 Posts
So, you guys are glad that you no longer have to "deal" with the AMA? You don't like the magazine? Wow, I don't get why you don't want to support an organization that has the interests of your hobby at heart. What's not to like about the magazine? If that's the only reason you maintain your AMA memebership, I sure won't buy anything from you. Hmmm...............$58 bucks a year must be a real burden on you, too bad.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
So, you guys are glad that you no longer have to "deal" with the AMA? You don't like the magazine? Wow, I don't get why you don't want to support an organization that has the interests of your hobby at heart. What's not to like about the magazine? If that's the only reason you maintain your AMA memebership, I sure won't buy anything from you. Hmmm...............$58 bucks a year must be a real burden on you, too bad.
They probably disregard what the AMA has done on their behalf over the decades.
They'll ignore the work with the FCC to provide bandwidth.
They already forgot the FAA wanted to greatly limit our flying and the AMA stepped in and worked with Congress to give us a huge "hands-off" from the FAA.

Two kinds of people in the world... "takers" and "givers".
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Simply put, more regulation where there should be none. I won't go into details, it is not worth arguing over. Like I said, I am AMA and I pay my dues, but don't really care for the mag., or the restrictions.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:09 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2008
497 Posts
At least for me it was more about the AMA association with clubs than anything else that made me consider not renewing my membership. From reading this forum I know I am not the only one who has had a very bad experience with an AMA flying club.

I have renewed at least for the time being because there still are some places and events I intend to visit. Other than that, the magazine and sketchy insurance are not incentives to remain part of the organization.
Ranandar is offline Find More Posts by Ranandar
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
I would just be interested in what AMA/Club rules/regulations you found to it 'refreshing' to be away from.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
...Some people apparently prefer to live in the woods, staring at themselves...

Why not, at least we'll not have to listen to them whine at the clubfield...

I appreciate the fact that organizations like the AMA exist to give the particular, private, person a voice.
If we need a few rules to live together, I'd find it a resonable prize to pay... It allows you to exist too!
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
azflyingguy
I applaud your decision to rejoin the AMA. I would disagree with your opinion concerning the magazine. It has improved over the last few years and does contain much information on AMA activities.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
chucksolo69
I can assure you that MrRC flying will not be seeing any of my dead presidents as well
The AMA is an organization dedicated to promoting model aviation--not someones personal wealth.

Ranander
If you have had an unpleasant club experience there is a solution. Run for an office within the club and do your best to change things. Turning and running is not solving anything.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,344 Posts
There'll be a lot people showing up at SuperBowl parties this Sunday...
They'll bring a 6-pack of cheap beer, drink all the good beer, snarf the brownies, stuff themselves with BBQ, and wonder next year why they don't get invited back.

They expect everyone else to pay for the party.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
chucksolo69
I can assure you that MrRC flying will not be seeing any of my dead presidents as well
The AMA is an organization dedicated to promoting model aviation--not someones personal wealth.

Ranander
If you have had an unpleasant club experience there is a solution. Run for an office within the club and do your best to change things. Turning and running is not solving anything.

BM
That's fine. Have a good day Bill. All I was doing was expressing an opinion. If that offends you, I am truly sorry. Those are my feelings and opinions. I have a right to them just as you do.

I am sure that most of you feel differently, but my experience with clubs and the AMA have all been less than positive. I am sure they do some good though.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
Option out the magazine with a lower cost. If you can't live without it then pay the upcharge and continue to receive it. For me and I'm sure many others it is a waste of postage and paper.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Closed Thread