SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Discussion
Low-wing Q500; dihedral? And how to laminate / sheet?

Hi,

I've designed a Q500 plane, fuse is built. It's a low wing plane. Now I'll put together the two wing halves, and I see many low wing quickies with a bit of dihedral. Why? Is it advisable? I've flow many low wing planes (not racers) without it. Please advise, preferably from experience!

Cheers,

Hugo
HugoW is offline Find More Posts by HugoW
Last edited by HugoW; Sep 15, 2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Changed title, because of sheeting question.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
For a racer you do not need dehedral. Also high wing is faster than a low wing.
Randy
Q500Racing.com
r140racer is offline Find More Posts by r140racer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Thanks, i thought so, just wanted to be sure. Any reason why a low wing is slower, other then me flying it? I made it low-wing to make a battery hatch on the top for easy access. It's an EQ500 plane, conform Dutch (European? Worldwide?) Electric Quickie rules.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,486 Posts
I dunno bout the quickie!

but I am starting a build on an old sig mustang 450 F1 pylon racer, and it says to put in atleast 2" to 3" dihedral! doesn't splane why! just what it says!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Hi, I have a low wing Q500 and dihedral bearing is 1.5 and is very very fast, in fact is much faster in the passage between pylons, turns them perfect nothing to compare with high wings, the only problem (if you can call it a problem) is the landing is not very technical for beginners, because if you get on track very fast and gives you a bounce on the floor, rest assured that you will break something following rebound otherwise is impressive, at least the model I fly, and is called SHORTY homemade design the project and is a friend of mine that does portugues, but now I make them for me my , will try to put a picture.
mediomundo is offline Find More Posts by mediomundo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Thanks for the input, nice plane! Here's what I'm working on:

Working on the tail, now, wing is next. The whole fuse it out of balsa(-laminate), and very light but stiff. And strong enough. I have very conflicting info about sheeting the foam wing, so some thinking to do before I venture into building it.

Any more input is appreciated, picks of course, too!

Cheers,

Hugo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:27 AM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Hi guys,

just gathering info about sheeting the wing. We have noise limits, here, so we don't run Nelsons but the most used motor is the Irvine 0.39, with a 10x7 prop. My electro equivalent should get the same speeds, this is regulated.

My wing will be cut from foam, and have chambers cut to make it lighter. I use a relatively dense / heavy foam for good finish, hence the chambers. I also make two cut-outs, one top one bottom, to glue in 1/4" spruce spars. This replaces the carbon strips used by many. Then I want to sheet with 1/8" balsa. Now for the problem:

Look at this one:
http://sempra.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34
Here they use 2 ounce (per square foot??) fibre glass. Now I do metric, so that it 610 gram per square metre. Using about 0,7 square metre for a wing, that is already 420 grams of glass. I guess this would make a 2 pound (or more) wing. Probably very strong, but I read somewhere the wing of a Viper ARF weighs about 570 grams, including servo.

Look at this one:
Sheeting a Quickie Wing - Part 1 (10 min 0 sec)

Here they use 0,6 ounce glass. And some extra on the trailing edge. That's a big difference!

What is wisedom to do? I don't need 'Nelson' strength wings, but I would like it to stay in one piece while flying...

Cheers,

Hugo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
I believe the glass is two ounces per square yard (9 sq ft) not two Oz per square foot.
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
NMPRA 86T
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Jan 2008
179 Posts
Fizz is correct, 1.4oz or 2oz per sq. yard cloth. In the Scorpion wing, I use the fiberglass strips to stiffen the LE & TE and the uni-carbon fiber to carry the flight loads. The center section has some additional cloth for attachment strength and the outer surface covered in .5oz or .75oz per sq. yard cloth. All up weight painted, ready to fly (minus servo) is 11oz to 13 oz (310g to 370g). The TE of my wings taper to a sharp edge, and without the glass, would be weak & wavy. With the fiberglass, they will remain stiff, even when thin enough to cut you!

The Viper wings are 4oz to 7oz heavier than this.

Good luck with your project, and feel free to ask anything you need to!

Scott Smith
NMPRA District 7 VP
SEMPRA President
ScorpionRacing is offline Find More Posts by ScorpionRacing
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Ah, per square yard, that makes more sense. I'm good at imperial when it's one-dimensional figures, but squares and then weight I'm lost! Thanks for the input. Here's my wing plan:

This is the foam. It will be sheeted in 1/16" balsa, and cloth / resin. Leading edge is 1/4" balsa, the two stringers are 1/4" spruce (?!?, is that the right word?). I will make two wing panels, and join them with a joiner of 5/8" heigh and 1/4" thick, glued between the stringers. and off course extra glass around the joint. Still contemplating some ideas about the tips, probably some lump of balsa which I'll sand into a decent shape.

Comments welcome!

Cheers,

Hugo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Oh, slightly off topic but maybe interesting to see, I just posted at the Dutch forum so this is an easy copy / paste:

Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2007
276 Posts
Had to cut it into two posts...

Hugo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
uanas twins' photos as I do all the fuselage will fiberglassing
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
uanas twins' photos as I do all the fuselage will fiberglassing
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
This fuselage was fiberglassing 86GR fiber, to withstand all the vibrations of the engines jett, unpainted fuselage weighs 282gr, not bad, we'll see how weight is to finish painting