HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
I know John Bagley was involved in two serious accidents, one involving a T-28 and the other P-51D "Mormon Mustang". I can't find anything on the Sea Fury accidents however, other than a prop strike incident. If indeed he has walked away from four serious warbird accidents then I would say he is one very lucky gent!

A very very very very lucky guy.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:51 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
A very very very very lucky guy.

J
Yeah, that's what I meant.

On a side note, I've had the very distinct pleasure of seeing Mr. Bagley's P-63 perform (when it was owned by Frank Borman) as well as that of the late Bob Pond. For me it represents everything a fighter plane should look and sound like, simply awesome. It also just happens to have a great deal going for it as a model. Good nose and tail moments, lots of wing area, big tail surfaces, and a training wheel up front. If it weren't for that skinny nose it would be a near perfect candidate for a scale model. I vote that John's next super scale electric should be a Kingcobra! Anybody else want to assist me in my attempts to persuade/entice/bribe/threaten him into capitulating?
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:09 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Bagley laid down his mustang on the highway about two minutes before we rolled by (before the fire department even got there), as he was standing there holding his broken forearm, watching for fire from the broken in half fighter. His wife is the one who asked for the fourth one to be named 'Section Eight!' Turns out that the mustang was fresh out of an engine overhaul and he had shot a single touch and go, and was coming in for his first landing on the overhauled motor when it quit!

His sea fury he laid down out in the lava flows when he had a gear malfunction and ran low on fuel.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:10 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
I've actually been in touch with the little museum Mr. Bagley runs. Being a Mormon myself, I was interested in getting pictures of the "Mormon Mustang." Super nice folks.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:22 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant.

On a side note, I've had the very distinct pleasure of seeing Mr. Bagley's P-63 perform (when it was owned by Frank Borman) as well as that of the late Bob Pond. For me it represents everything a fighter plane should look and sound like, simply awesome. It also just happens to have a great deal going for it as a model. Good nose and tail moments, lots of wing area, big tail surfaces, and a training wheel up front. If it weren't for that skinny nose it would be a near perfect candidate for a scale model. I vote that John's next super scale electric should be a Kingcobra! Anybody else want to assist me in my attempts to persuade/entice/bribe/threaten him into capitulating?

You are exactly right Chad. I built a P-39 several years ago just when brushless motors started coming into the model realm. It is a just a great flier. Has perfect moments and proportions. Ws is about 50" so it's a nice size model. It has a Mega motor and Mega gearbox, runs so quiet that if it's at 100' you can hardly hear it.
You've got me thinking but my next build after the F-16 will be Mr. Palmer's F7F Tigercat at 83" ws. Then maybe another big 39?

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:35 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
You've got me thinking but my next build after the F-16 will be Mr. Palmer's F7F Tigercat at 83" ws.
Yer killin' me John! The Tigercat is one of those near the top of my "bucket list" too. I actually had the Palmer plans at one point but the lack of a set of at least moderately scale landing gear put a damper on my enthusiasm for the project. There are, or were, some nice gear available for larger Tigercats but the cost was prohibitive for me. I will definitely be looking forward to your build of the airplane.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:10 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
One of mine too Chad. I'll be going SpringAirs on it. Hopefully I can mod them a little to look decent. Their nose gear is at least 100 degree.
Loved my little one......... here she is at Vegas several years ago.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:32 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
John Bagley's museum is amazing. My friend and i were supposed to go up in a flight in the ole Yeller, but John was just heading out on a mission when we were there.

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:37 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Fantastic shots. I have family in Rigby and Idaho Falls areas. One day I'll attend for sure but its a real haul for me now with the little ones.

J... any plans for a fun gimmick on the F7F? Functional cowl flaps or anything like that?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:11 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
I doubt it Willsonman.
I think a straight forward build will be tough enough.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:32 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman View Post
I've actually been in touch with the little museum Mr. Bagley runs. Being a Mormon myself, I was interested in getting pictures of the "Mormon Mustang." Super nice folks.
hey Brother
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Let me talk to a couple of friends at the museum over the next couple of days I will see if I can get some fresh pics, last I saw the Mormon Mustang she had a clean cowl with power plant out. He only had three mustangs up for the last airshow
Foo
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:57 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,061 Posts
Slacker....

Only three Mustangs?!?

Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:05 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
hey Brother
hey!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Legacy Flight Museum has; two Avengers (torpedo aircraft), two Skyraiders (A-1, Korean/Vietnam era attack aircraft), FOUR P-51 mustangs (ole Yeller (Bob Hoover's former mustang), the Mormon Mustang, Section Eight (so named because it is the FOURTH one in his collection), and a last one without a name currently), A P-63 King Cobra (P-39 Air Cobra development), a Beech 'Staggerwing' (early executive style aircraft), an AT-6 (trainer from WWII), An O-1 Bird-dog (observation aircraft). That is just in the collection! http://www.legacyflightmuseum.com/Default.aspx

At a nearby (Bozeman, MT) there are four more O-1's (I worked on a hanger for two of them), and another pair of AT-6's (saw them while we built another building at the airport). When they have the air show (traditionally the weekend after Father's Day every year at the Rexburg, ID airport) they will usually be there along with lots of other aircraft like these.
Foo
P.S. Our house is four miles away from the end on the runway (when the prevailing breeeze is from the South his roll-outs are over our house). I am and have been a war bird fan for years (one of the reasons to follow this thread is for the somewhat unusual aircraft being modeled). The irony is that my daughter, who is eleven years old now, can tell just from the sound that Bagley has one of his aircraft in the air just by the sound of the Allison, or Merlin, or one of the big radials on the Skyraiders, and she has since she was about 5!